Newer 5MT Push Style Clutch w/ 3.9 FD

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Newer 5MT Push Style Clutch w/ 3.9 FD

Post by Legacy777 »

I've got a bearing in my Impreza 5MT that has been growling for some years and has gotten worse over the past year. If I'm going to keep this car I will most likely need to replace the trans. So I'm curious what newer model 5MT's with a push style clutch w/ 3.9 FD and still has a speedo cable might work as a direct swap. I have not done any research yet (and will do that), but wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Re: Newer 5MT Push Style Clutch w/ 3.9 FD

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I have a 3.90 05 impreza transmission in my 97 legacy, mine uses an electronic speed sensor but that's easily swapped out to cable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzTxUg ... cslist_api

This will help narrow down what you're looking for. Just bear in mind all 05+ legacy, 09+ forester, and 08+ impreza transmissions do not speed sensors in the transmission as they feed the speedometer from the abs system. The hole is there in the case for the sensor/cable attachment but the drive gear and shaft have to be added.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

One of the dccd controller companies makes an interface that lets you use vss off the ABS with your electronic speedo
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, check out 86BRATMAN's chart. If you end up getting a too-new trans, check out the following two products that can adapt an ABS signal to VSS. I don't think it'll be a problem though, there's a large selection of 3.90 N/A transmissions out there for you to find and use. Not exactly a rare item.

MapDCCD - Motorsport Wheel Speed Sensor Signal Processor:
http://mapdccd.com/vss.html

Dakota Digital - Universal Speedometer Signal Interface:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... ct_id=126/
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Only problem with those products is the 93-97 impreza uses a cable speedo.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Good call, I didn't realize his was a '97. Never mind me! I skipped right over the signature.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, the 97 still has the cable speedo, so I've got to find a trans with the speedo gear in it.

Thanks for the chart. I'll take a look at it and post back. I figured this wouldn't be a rare transmission to find, but have to do some research.

Thanks guys!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

The 06 LGT transmission I have still uses the speedo gear but with an electronic VSS. I thought you could just remove the electronic sensor and insert a mechanical attachment for the speedo cable. I have not attempted this yet, but will in the next few weeks. I can report on the compatibility.

I know at some point SUbaru switched to the ABS VSS....at that point, I'm guessing the speedo gear was no longer in the transmission, even though the plug still existed in that location on the transmission case.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The bearings that tend to fail first are the ones on the rear transfer gears, and are not that hard to change out.

Just pull off the tail housing with the trans still in the car and the transfer gears and center diff will slide off. Then you can inspect the bearings there and replace anything that looks/feels bad. You do need the press the inner races on/off.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm pretty sure the bearing I'm having issues with is on the main shaft. When I depress the clutch the noise goes away. When I let out the clutch the noise is back.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

macipusy wrote:The 06 LGT transmission I have still uses the speedo gear but with an electronic VSS. I thought you could just remove the electronic sensor and insert a mechanical attachment for the speedo cable. I have not attempted this yet, but will in the next few weeks. I can report on the compatibility.

I know at some point SUbaru switched to the ABS VSS....at that point, I'm guessing the speedo gear was no longer in the transmission, even though the plug still existed in that location on the transmission case.
That's good to know the 06 still used the electronic VSS. Yeah, you should be able to just pull it out and swap in the mechanical one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT