Exedy EJ25 clutch in a 91ss, a problem?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Exedy EJ25 clutch in a 91ss, a problem?

Post by kleinkid »

I had an Exedy EJ25 clutch installed on my 91SS. I have to push the clutch pedal hard to the floor before the clutch disengages to allow the gear to be shifted. I do not feel this is right. I have had to move my seat forward in order to get enough travel and force to push the pedal all the way in. This puts me in a bad driving position. In other words, the clutch should disengage before the pedal is so far down close to the floor. The stock flywheel is currently installed. Is not having a WRX flywheel installed causing this problem?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Wait wait wait. How did you get a push style clutch to work with your pull style flywheel, and fork/tob setup?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya, that doesn't sound right. I didn't think the EJ25 clutch was compatible with BC/BF turbos. :?

If you want to do a clutch from a WRX (EJ20T) you need the WRX flywheel too.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

THAWA wrote:Wait wait wait. How did you get a push style clutch to work with your pull style flywheel, and fork/tob setup?
He got it to work because his Sport Sedan has a hydro push-style clutch ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

more info

Post by kleinkid »

Found out that the pressure plate is an ACT and the clutch disc is Exedy and is EJ25. The clutch is hydraulic operated, not cable. I mistakenly thought it was WRX. The friction point is way down near the floor and is not satisfactory.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya, it's understood which style clutch (hydro) is on the SS but I still didn't think the EJ25 clutch was compatible.

Help me understand, you have an ACT pressure plate that's designed for the hydro setup and mated an EJ25 clutch disc to it? Is that what you're saying?

Is the EJ25 disc the same size as an OEM SS clutch disc?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

woah woah.

There are two different hydro setups. The push style and pull style. The EJ25 setup is the push style and NOT compatible with the pull setup.

So if you have a hyro pull setup on a hydro push setup, there's no wonder you're having issues.
Last edited by Legacy777 on Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hmm, I didn't know that EJ25's had hydro pull clutches or a hydro at all for that matter. I thought they had a cable pull setup.

Do all Subarus with the EJ25 have a hydro pull setup?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

They don't....I'm sorry, I had it straight in my head, but wrote it incorrectly. I edited my post above.

Almost all, if not all newer subarus have hydro clutches. All the n/a motors have the push style clutches, while all the turbo motors have the pull style setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Clutch saga continued

Post by kleinkid »

The installer told me it was an ACT pressure plate and a Exedy clutch disc. Says it is an EJ25. The end of the fork has a little depression where the pin sticking out of the slave cylinder mates to push on the fork to disengage the clutch. The friction point is way down on the floor.
illnastyimpreza
First Gear

Post by illnastyimpreza »

That is exactly how its sapposed to feel when its brand new. Once you wear it in, the engagment point will back off dramaticly.

When I got my new ACT clutch and jun flywheel installed on my 98 RS...I stalled it 3 times in a row before I learned that as soon as it leaves the floor the thing will grab. Now that I put a couple miles on it...its engagment point is way further back and much better to drive.
It's all about the power to wait ratio

98 Impreza RS
91 Legacy L wagon
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Friction point near floor fixed

Post by kleinkid »

Having the disengagement point near the floor might be fine for some, but it was not right for me. Mile-hi(posts on this site) mentioned that the fix is a longer rod for the slave cylinder. I was not able to contact him to get more information , but did a search and discovered that www.taboospeedshop.com had a fix for it also. If you scroll down on their home page you will see a 1/4" longer slave cylinder rod with instructions and a report on this issue. It explains it very well. For $20 I had a local machinist make me a rod 5/16" longer and used the installation process described on the Taboospeedshop website. It worked just as described. Now I do not have to depress the clutch pedal to the floor to get the clutch to disengage. Way more efficient, much more comfortable to shift and makes the ACT clutch work the way it should. I used 5/16" longer because if it turned out to be too long it could be ground down to make it shorter. Did not have to do that. I had this ACT clutch installed at Rallitek in Portland Oregon and will take my car to them for any mods/repairs I do not want to tackle. They are knowledgeable, friendly and pleasant to work with.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

How tall are you?

The only downside I see to my clutch engaging at the floor (literally, about 1 inch from the floor), is that it is engaged before the clutch pedal reaches full extension. So launching really hard is kind of tricky.

I'm running the Exedy clutch with the Exedy pressure plate though, and it was all WRX parts.

I'll probably get this exact same setup again next time. I am curious if the 6-speed cluthc gear will fit our cars though...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I am 6' tall and in order to comfortably push the clutch pedal to the floor I had to move the seat up which made me feel cramped. It is much better for me now that the longer slave cylinder rod is in. With the seat moved back to where it was before the new clutch was installed I am once again a happy SS driver.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I will reiterate that a brand new pressure plate and clutch will put the engagement point near the floor. This will change with time (600+ miles).

I hope your longer rod doesn't mean it will engage at the very top of the stroke when it breaks in...
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
illnastyimpreza
First Gear

Post by illnastyimpreza »

Brat4by4 wrote:I will reiterate that a brand new pressure plate and clutch will put the engagement point near the floor. This will change with time (600+ miles).

I hope your longer rod doesn't mean it will engage at the very top of the stroke when it breaks in...
thats what I'm thinking.
It's all about the power to wait ratio

98 Impreza RS
91 Legacy L wagon