I want to make my exhaust louder!

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ryno50485
In Neutral

I want to make my exhaust louder!

Post by ryno50485 »

Right now i have a stock system with 2.25in piping on a 92 legacy n/a. I have a 3a-racing DTM muffler. I was wondering if i could take off or gut the resonator. Right now it sounds like a stock wrx with an axleback. Can i get it to sound like a rally car?
Last edited by ryno50485 on Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

straight pipe.

..but it's gonna be LOUD. It's not the best for long trips, though.. it really is that loud.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Straight pipppp..... wait.... Tristan beat me to it.

How do you have a stock system with 2.5" piping? The stock Legacy system isn't 2.5", it's 2.25"

And the 3a-muffler is going to make it sound like crap, just hack the muffler and run a straight axle back and you'll be fine.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

yeah, Phil, I thought of you when I said it. And I did notice that he said his stock system was 2.5.. which i knew to be untrue, as well. i just didn't wanna call him out on it.
It's all good.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Take it off at the header. That'll rattle some windows.
98 LGT
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Build your own straight pipe!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

haha, scott, isn't that like a re-gift, or something? You've used that before!!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

im pretty sure stock is only 2"

my old n/a legacy has a 2.25" cat back w/ two resonators its very loud.

w/one resonator it set off car alarms.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

91legacy_sleeper wrote:haha, scott, isn't that like a re-gift, or something? You've used that before!!
Yea, its been done, but i have a limited repoire and an image to maintain. :lol:
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
ryno50485
In Neutral

RESONATOR??

Post by ryno50485 »

Does my car have a resonator to cut out? If so where is it?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It won't get "rally car loud" with the stock piping.

If you want rally loud, and don't care about performance, then just run a 3" straight pipe, and one of those little "woosh" things that they sell so it sounds like you have a turbo.

Greg - Stock is only 2"? Stock for the Turbo's was 2.25" IIRC.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
ryno50485
In Neutral

Post by ryno50485 »

Yea i could run 3" for pretty cheap. My friend had a cat-back done at a really good piping shop for 90$. I could have them make me a custom system for cheaper!
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:It won't get "rally car loud" with the stock piping.

If you want rally loud, and don't care about performance, then just run a 3" straight pipe, and one of those little "woosh" things that they sell so it sounds like you have a turbo.

but he has a N/A.

ryno50485,

dont do a 3" on a N/A. you will diminish throttle response and loose some bottom end power.

when i put my 2.25" on w/one resonator in the middle w/ straight pipe back it was waaaay too loud, and it felt sluggish. but when we put a second resonator on at the bumper the sound volume went down and trottle response improved and it felt snappier at lower rpms.

of course that was all butt dyno.

and the stock piping w/out a muffler will sound similar to a rally car, just ask mike wray (legacy PGT here).

we cut all the stock exhaust off just behind where the Y-pipe joins up, yet after the main sensored cat. we cut out the nonsensored cat and resonator that sits under the drivers compartment.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
ryno50485
In Neutral

Post by ryno50485 »

Yeah i didn't realize that 3" would make my car loose bottom end power. I just talked to a friend and he said the same thing you said about sticking with stock size piping. Right now i have a dtm muffler and people say it sounds like a rally car but would it sound different with like a blitz or scoobiesport?
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:It won't get "rally car loud" with the stock piping.

Stock n/a is definitely less than 2.25". I'm guessing 2" or less.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

ryno50485 wrote:Yeah i didn't realize that 3" would make my car loose bottom end power. I just talked to a friend and he said the same thing you said about sticking with stock size piping. Right now i have a dtm muffler and people say it sounds like a rally car but would it sound different with like a blitz or scoobiesport?
just dont go bigger than 2.5"

conventional wisdom is 2.5" or smaller for small displacement engines.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Just remove the cat back. That'll make it plenty loud. ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

You can always drill a couple holes in the exhaust, cheap and effective.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

I removed my exhaust today.

Well, not completly. You know the pipe that connects from the rear of the first cat? It's supported by hangers (not clothes hangers, exhaust hangers damnit!)

I removed everything after the flange on that pipe.

very loud.

no no, VERY loud.

I have yet to get any complaints from people sitting at lights. It's quite audiable while idling at a light; and no one has yet to say anything to me negative.

Chances are they're wondering how the hell I squeezed a V8 in my little 91 Legacy Wagon. Some also think it sound similar to a harley.

All I know is, for a 4 cylinder; it doesn't sound a damn bit like one of those fart cannon honda/acura cars; I like it very much so.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

1. and i hate to be mean but i do belive what your trying to do is called rice.

2. if you want to imatiate the rally car sound. you need a turbo so you can run antilag.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I heard of someone who put a motorcycle muffler on and they claimed it sounded great. Never heard it myself, but it probably looked cool and weighed little. They did it because they got it for free.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

azn2nr wrote:1. and i hate to be mean but i do belive what your trying to do is called rice.

2. if you want to imatiate the rally car sound. you need a turbo so you can run antilag.
Yes, I have to agree here; if you want to sound like the rally car, you need a turbocharger.. wait, well, you need all of the supporting modifications.

the 2.2L N/A stock engine sounds very good when you remove the restrictive muffler; you can do straight 2.25" pipes from the flange before the second cat all the way back and get some nice tunes from the engine; or you can do like I did, and just drop everything at that same flange.

now be careful, some people won't appreciate the loud engine. It's got a very low tone, and travels quite far. Don't do something like put a fartcan on it either to try and amplify the sound.

It's important to remember that the engine in itself is PLENTY loud once you get rid of the restrictive exhaust.

Get a free-flow exhaust system and be done with it.

The only reason I've done it the way I have is because I'm broke; I'm sick of an annoying heat shield rattle, and without the second cat and rest of the restrictive exhaust, I pick up a little power on the high end (and lose a little on the low end; but not noticeable).

Granted, I've exchanged a loud rattle for a thumping thunder loud exhaust note bad enough to set off car alarms; but I prefer it that way.

It all boils down to; do whatever you want to do, it's your car. But if you pull some stunt like smack a two-foot-tall wing on the back and a 5" exhaust pipe; don't expect to garner a whole lot of respect from the subaru crowd.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Update:

Three full days after the exhaust came off, it went right back on; minus rattling heatshielding. It leaks abit as before; but the noise simply rattled my brain far too much.

something else will have to work out in the future.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

well right now i have stock header, but just after the second cat it goes to 2.25 to a stock WRX muffler, it seemed ok, BUT its too quiet for me.

but i just ordered a can off e-bay for $30, might as well try it and if i dont like it i can sell it no problem at school and put my stock rex muffler back on.

i got a small one, 2.5inch pipe inlet and 3inch top with the burned effect on it. i am thinking of mounting it strait out or slightly angled.
ill get a video clip when i get a change of my rex muffler and my new cannon when i get it on.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
nzKAOSnz
First Gear

Post by nzKAOSnz »

heheh. I have flowed headers, then 2.5" all through, using 2 cherrybombs (resontators that arnt cobys) and a straight thru back muffler.

I didnt used to have the resonators, and my god that was loud. (bear in mind this is a NA). Had to put the two in coz i did quite a few long dist trips and the pandol expense was killing me. But the bark on that was awesome. and REALLY drony.

Has less drone now, and slightly less bark. But still has the nice rumble :)
***ITS CLEAN! :D*****