fuel cut or not

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

carl
In Neutral

fuel cut or not

Post by carl »

hi all i have again got a problem with my 91 legacy turbo.i have fitted new coils so thats out of the question,it doesn't show a cel light when the problem occurs.
what happens is at 3-4thou rpm it hesitates like a missfire then put your foot down and the car halts and backfires,when this happens the rev counter drops to about 500rpm from 5500 also the boost gauge flies up and down.
i am running an mbc and have disconnected the standard 3 port boost solenoid.
i have also changed the spark plugs,maf sensor and wastegate actuator.the mbc is put straight in the line that comes from the wastegate.
please help.
oh yeah one more thing this seems to happen at differing boost pressures anywhere from .5bar upwards.
the performance is very poor up to this point aswell.however if you just lightly press the throttle it will go to 7000rpm no problem.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Are all the leads to the coils properly connected? Make sure all of the connections are tight and try changing out your plugs, or at least regapping them.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

carl i have the same problem, and what happend to me last year around this time was i blew a piston. thats why its off the road i dont want to fuck it up agian.

the last thing i did was stick ngk iridium plugs in and after that this started to happen. i havent got to change them, cuz i just took it right off the road.

i was thinking it was all sorts of things like you spoke about. try gaping the plugs.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Did you disconnect the boost solenoid completely so the ecu has no idea what boost the engine is seeing?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
carl
In Neutral

Post by carl »

hi will try gapping plugs.with the boost solenoid i just unplugged the pipes the electrical connector is still connected.is this wrong should i plumb the mbc in with the solenoid.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Also, which plugs did you use?

Please don't say Boschs...
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

How much boost are you running?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
carl
In Neutral

Post by carl »

beleive it or not the boost is restricted to .5 bar and it still fuel cuts.
it also backfires when the cut happens.the fuel pressure drops a little nothing much and the lambda locks rich.
i have also had the car cut out a few times,today whilst fiddling i found that after removing the washer bottle i started the car and the abs warning light was on and also the battery warning light.i fiddled with the wires and the lights went out.this happened a couple of times but i can't pin point the exact cause of this.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Is it a harness that you ended up jiggling to get the codes to disappear?

The same thing used to happen to my car back in the day. It would be so finicky that when it rained I would have to jiggle some more wires.

Try to trace the wires back to their respective connectors and see if the connectors are still intact. It's a b!tch and a half to do, but at least you'll know your connections are true.

Also, you never did answer my previous question. What kind plugs are you running?

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

The way you described it it doesnt sound like fuel cut. Fuel cut isnt a hesitation like a misfire. Fuel cut is VERY defined, like youre slamming on the brakes for a fraction of a second.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
carl
In Neutral

Post by carl »

i am running ngk platinums.there was once a topic on this forum with a download for diagnostic software,would this help me and where is it.
carl
In Neutral

Post by carl »

ok getting somewhere now i gapped the plugs down turns out they were gapped too big.this sorted out the misfire and premature fuel cut.now another problem has arose when you put your foot down it hits full boost then slowly the boost backs off til it gets to .5bar where it settles.
has anyone had this before is it simply a hole in a pipe or could my mbc be causing this.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Boost spikes are sometimes caused by the MBC.

I used to spike to 18psi before settling to 15-ish.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Whoa whoa. I thought the plugs came pre-gaped from the distributor.
98 LGT
carl
In Neutral

Post by carl »

i thought they did too should have checked tho,my problem with boost is it spikes to around 1bar then drops to .5 bar.should i just change the mbc for a decent one the one on there now is just a bleeder from a fish tank.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I should check that in my car. I don't trust the Zex plugs that are in there.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out