Poor Man's Oil Catch Tank

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Poor Man's Oil Catch Tank

Post by boostjunkie »

Picked up one of these from Home Depot:

It's an oil/water separator for a compressor. Has a blocked inlet/outlet (unlike the Ebay oil catch tanks that have a passage straight through the unit).

It's a small size so mounting it in this cramped engine bay won't be a problem. Just need to empty it more often than the bigger "cusco" style ones.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I have one of these for my air compressor. To be quite honest, I'm not very impressed. It does catch some water, but I can still see water vapors coming out the air blower nozzle.

I'd be curious to see how it holds up, and how it works. It's meant for higher pressures. There are vanes in the thing to help spin the air around and spin any moisture or particles out before it exits the other side.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I think it'll clog up.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

It holds up fine, and cleans some of the blowby. I had one on my car for a little while, now its just sitting in the garage. When it gets full you can drain it through the bottom. To really work tho you'd have to pipe in all the vents from the heads and crank case. Also if the cannister is too small it will create vacuum when on boost. Is that the larger model or the smaller one?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out