vacuum lines

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bluesubaru
First Gear

vacuum lines

Post by bluesubaru »

What/Where did you all tap your vacuum lines for your boost guage and bov? I tapped mine from all the way on the other side of the engine bay.

It reads 20mg of vacuum and +boost just fine. But I want something closer and cleaner, I know the intake manifold has a few of them. I can supply pics if needed.
95 Legacy N/A EJ22 - Turbo @ 5.5psi
WRX Turbo and Intercooler
STI Exhaust
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I tapped mine into the vaccum line from the resonator box on the intake to the manifold. Just t into that line.
Last edited by boostjunkie on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

There is a line coming off of the #1 intake runner. Tap into that one, and your set. I might have a picture somewhere...

2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

I did a search and found this illustration by vrg3. Hope de doesn't mind me linking this guy to it.

He has it circled. Go and get some side cutters and snip the line in half. Get a "t" vaccuum junction at your local Checkers or whatever, then run that line to your guage.
98 LGT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, all three of these guys are both suggesting a common place to hook the boost gauge up. It sounds like that's what you're using already.

If you have the EJ22T intake manifold, there should be a nice 5.5mm nipple right below the brake booster nipple. This is meant for the blowoff valve. It's a better choice than the other one because it's near the throttle body and is larger.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

the pictures in this thread is exactly where I have mine tapped, I was looking for a spot closer to the brake booster or on the driver side of the car. Thanks for your help!
STI Exhaust
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

i have mine taped there but im gonna swich it to the bov spot soon.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

why, is in reply to what post?
STI Exhaust
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

No, why would you move from the runner, to the BOV feed line?

What is the point?

bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

I am having bov surging problems, and I have adjusted the bov so many times, and still cannot get it right.

I ordered a ej22t intake so I am going to run the greddy type s bov recirc. soon.
But I cant seem to get it right. Is it becuase its made for a WRX (14psi) and I am only pushing 5psi?
STI Exhaust
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's not clear to me that it's even possible to set up a BOV to stay shut at idle but also open under all conditions that could cause compressor surge.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

right, but it seems when i adjust it it either idles fine, but when i hit any boost it surges.
or when I adjust it again it idles like crap, but blows off fine.
I am hoping the recirc will help.
I heard I can tap a vacuum source for the bottom small nipple on the greddy type s (which is usally left open to suck in air) so to help it get more air faster.
STI Exhaust
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Right, that's what I'm saying -- it simply may not be possible to set your valve to both not leak at idle and fully prevent surge.

I'm sure a recirculating valve will help. You can set it to open at a small enough pressure differential that surge won't happen. It'll open at low loads (like at idle), but that'll be just fine. In fact, it will in theory allow the turbo to spool up slightly faster by equalizing the pressure on both sides of the compressor.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

i readjusted my rfl and it works fine now. closed at idle and open under all stiuations that it needs to be.

to answer phil. my engine bay is soo cluttered and moving it is just an attempt to clean things up a little
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

okay, thanks, i will see what happens.
But would the fact that its a WRX bov made for 14psi and the spring is set so stiff for that.
Would my 5psi setup make it harder to work right?
Would I need to trim the spring a little?
STI Exhaust
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

WRX blowoff valves are meant to go on the intercooler's outlet end tank, aren't they? So they shouldn't need excessively stiff springs.
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

it is on the IC, but if WRX have 14psi to push the spring open and I have only 5psi, it may not opne , hence causing surge.
STI Exhaust
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The valve acts on differential pressure between the inlet and the manifold reference. The differential pressure between the intercooler's end tank and the manifold is very small, even at the flow rates achieved by the WRX's engine.