T-leg Piggyback ECU R&D

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Well, I will be running something functionally similar to the UTEC. A piggyback capable of timing, boost, and fuel control.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I dunno... you might have a hard time using a piggyback without modifying the ECU as well. It all depends on how the piggyback works, I guess.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

so what car would i look at to get a MAF that flows 235-245 grams per second? and what kind of wiring stuff would have to be done to make it work?
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wait, why would 235-245 grams per second be a good peak measurement?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Did I do my math wrong?
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

What math did you do?
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Well here goes.

Stock 370cc/200g min =1.85 cc per g min
440cc/237g min =1.856 cc per g min

Got any other ideas of how to scale the MAF to injectors?
If you could map MAF voltage and injector duty cycle you would be able to make a better guess. Thats what mine is, a good guess. I could maybe bore out the MAF housing to get X amount more air at the same voltage.

I'm not even sure if I'll even run out my stock injectors before I get the power I want out of my car.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, I see. So it in principle give you better fuel mixtures at full scale.

Note that you'd still run rich at lower airflows. A MAF that tops out at 200 g/s and a MAF that tops out at 237 g/s would behave almost identically at most airflows.

I think your idea of boring the MAF sensor housing out a little is probably the most straightforward way for you to get a little more range from the sensor.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I think it would put it close enough that the ECU could trim during normal driving.

Range is the big thing to me. About how much HP is 200g sec of air?
So what % increase of airflow do you think would run 440cc's well?
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

One gram per second is very roughly one horsepower's worth of air.

It seems to me that you'd want to increase the airflow by the same fraction you're increasing fuel flow. Something like a 20% increase, then, right?

A 20% increase in cross sectional area translates to something like a 10% increase in radius. Hmm. I don't know if there's enough material to remove from the housing. Maybe you could make your own larger housing, though, and just install the element. The Hitachi sensors have removable elements.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

While we're on the topic of larger housings... does it REALLY make that much difference to locate the sensor dead-center within the housing? I've been told yes, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the reading would be altered from locating it slightly off the center.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You got me. Without knowing anything about the fluid dynamics of the air going through the sensor I couldn't say.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Doesn't the ECU use the MAF size to calculate air flow? If you bore it out how is the ECU going to know or are you talking about aftermarket ECU and then how do you accurately measure the new airflow capacity?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

He's talking about tricking the ECU "on both ends," so to speak. Skew the airflow signal on the input side (by boring out the sensor), and skew the fueling on the output side (by using bigger injectors), and try to make them match up.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Trying to make two wrongs make a right, so to speak.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yesh.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I've got a '94 WRX MAF (VRG, that is what you sold me, right?) Does anyone know if it's voltage is any different?

And one comment on something said earlier in this thread. Not only does lean run cause detonation, but a super rich car can also detonate. This could be a problem you run into with these injectors.

BTW,
Are these the yellow tops?
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

You may be on to something here… A hot wire anemometer output is actually relative to velocity (fixing temp and pressure), which for a given flow area is directly proportional to mass flow. The velocity profile in a round duct is not even across its diameter, the flow moves faster in the center, it looks something like this.

If the hotwire ventury is center mounted in the EJ22T MAF (its all the way to one side in the older MAF for the EA82T), then moving it to the side would present it with a lower average velocity for the same overall mass flow and would output a lower voltage. If this translation were properly matched with the larger injectors you might be able to preserve stock (or near) fuel output over the stock flow range with more headroom. In fact you could build an adjustable MAF if you created a mechanism to move the hotwire element.

The spoiler here may be the range of the duty cycle that the ECU can output, at idle the MAF would be outputting a lower voltage and you could reach minimum duty cycle at some point above idle, with the larger injectors you would still be rich. But the velocity differential from center to edge is less at lower flows, which will help move the lower end output closer to stock. And remember, injector flow has a nearly linear relationship with fuel pressure, lower fuel pressure might be a fix.

A combination of fuel pressure and MAF adjustment should make it possible to use the stock ECU.

Just thinking out loud
Gary
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Gary - Neat. So maybe you could do this by just fabricating a spacer to go between the MAF sensor element and the housing!

Matt - Well, I don't know what car in particular that sensor came off of, but it is the one used on EJ20Gs. It's also the same one used on many non-turbo US-spec Subarus, including 95-98 Imprezas and Legacies, as well as post-facelift non-turbo BC/BF/BJs. It's funny. A non-turbo 92-94 Legacy has a larger MAF signal range than a turbo from the same year.

I'd like to try hacking the stock EJ22T ECU to correctly use the JECS sensor. I will, one day.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

how about just getting some one to reflash your ECU with bigger injectors installed that way its much easyer then messing with your maf sensor and breaking it.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Because you can not reflash it. You can add a chip that has custom lookup maps for the ECU, letting you adjust what you want.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I though MileHi had a way to reflash the ecu. At least he talks about raising the ecu's limit on the psi for the car.

Not trying to hijack the thread, this is way too interesting of a read to do that. So if anyone responds to this keep it short.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

sorry K i ment rechip it, my mistake. so if i drop my sti injectors in and get a rechiped chip in, do you think the car will run fine?

would any one want me to start making chips for the turbo legacy and i can send them out to you just for the reason of everyone doing bigger injector up grades?
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Myxalplyx
In Neutral

Post by Myxalplyx »

NICO I WRX U wrote:sorry K i ment rechip it, my mistake. so if i drop my sti injectors in and get a rechiped chip in, do you think the car will run fine?

would any one want me to start making chips for the turbo legacy and i can send them out to you just for the reason of everyone doing bigger injector up grades?
Why just stop with Legacy's? Do the EA81T and EA82T equipped cars as well. :wink: Sorry, I'm getting desperate reading this thread as I'm in the same situation with an RX turbo. I'll shaddup and keep reading. Great thread! Someone from USMB pointed me here.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

hopefully i can get the pics of the injectors off of the camera tomorrow. i pulled the 92-94 N/A rails off the intake manifold, cleaned them up a little then dropped the STi injectors into them, but i havent had time to install them in the car. and it looks like thursday of this week or possibly tomorrow may be the install day, but of course, its subject to change. the injectors just dropped right into the rails like they were meant to go there. i also got the STi fuel pressure regulator, which mounts up in the same place but it has a nipple thing coming out of it thats in a different place, but thats only a matter of some longer hose.
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!