ej20g question

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

heelhooker wrote:Instead of using the ej22 coil pack and plug wires, I am thinking about retaining the four ej20 coils and having cylinders 1/3 and 2/4 fire simultaneously (just like the ej22 system). This would require two coils to fire at the same time. Will the igniter be able to handle this? Any other reasons this would be a bad idea?

Thanks
I dont think it would be possible with the factory ignitor, Use the EJ20 ignitor and the four coils and wire it the factory way
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
heelhooker
First Gear

Post by heelhooker »

Well, using the stock igniter to fire two coils simultaneously does not work. There is a spark, but it is too weak to even start the engine.

I disconnected two of the coils, and the car started on two cylinders.

Does anyone know of any factory spark plug wire sets that fit this engine with the coil pack mounted on the manifold?
1991 ss 5mt ej20g (sold)
1988 mazda 323 gtx
2005 EVO RS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

This isn't an answer to your question, but maybe you could just use two stock ignitors. Connect their grounds and triggers together and connect each one's output to one coil.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
heelhooker
First Gear

Post by heelhooker »

The engine is running well.

As for ignition, I ended up using the legacy coil pack and a universal wire set.

When I first got it running, it "idled" at 3000rpm. The IAC valve was stuck. I freed it up, and the problem persisted. Turned out that the throttle return stop had been mangled at some point, and the throttle valve was not fully closing. I bought a new throttle body at the junk yard, bolted it on, and now the car runs/idles well.

For now, I am using my old vf11 with no intercooler. I will install the intercooler when I upgrade the turbo. For now, I want to make sure everything is okay, and keep the variables to a minimum.

Using the 370cc injectors seems to work well for now. I'll upgrade to the 440's when I have a bigger turbo and fuel control.

Thanks for all the help everyone. This board has been a great resource.

Yes, the coil pack is mounted on the AC hose...it's "temporary".

1991 ss 5mt ej20g (sold)
1988 mazda 323 gtx
2005 EVO RS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Sweet! That's killer that you got her running.

Man, that intake manifold looks so clean. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

Using the stock injectors (380) will be fine as long as u stay in open loop, as the computer will do all it can to keep at 14.7, come into closed loop as u will run rich no doubt
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
heelhooker
First Gear

Post by heelhooker »

Matt-

Yeah, it feels good to be driving it again...big difference going from an '86 toyota 4x4 back to the legacy.

Btw, did you ever find out what happened to your #4 cylinder? I found a bunch of pieces of piston ring and aluminum shavings in the ej22 oil pan, so I guess that explains the complete loss of compression.

EJ20TMAN-

I'm using my old injectors ( from the ej22t), so equivalence ratio should be what it was before, as they are the injectors my ecu is calibrated for.
1991 ss 5mt ej20g (sold)
1988 mazda 323 gtx
2005 EVO RS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

heelhooker wrote:Matt-

Btw, did you ever find out what happened to your #4 cylinder? I found a bunch of pieces of piston ring and aluminum shavings in the ej22 oil pan, so I guess that explains the complete loss of compression.
I just started getting ready to pull the motor and put in my temporary replacement, so I still don't know yet. The good news is that I had no noticeable metal fragments when I drained my oil pan but I haven't looked in my pan yet. :/ I have an insanely loud knock that developed on #1 now too. I had to move the car to the location I'm doing my work at and it appeared quite suddenly and in full force. I hope the block ends up being ok.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]