No Reverse!!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

No Reverse!!

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

The topic isn't entirely true. It engages and slowly rolls backward, but when I hit the gas it doesn't go anywhere.

It's a 92 FWD auto sedan. I didn't notice this until yesterday. At the beginning of my workshift, it was working alright (I deliver pizzas in it). It felt like something was wrong, but I didn't really pay attention to it. After a couple hours, it got worse, so I parked it and drove my daily driver.

When I got the chance, I checked the fluids, gear and tranny. Both of them were full, very full. I turned the car on, and went from park to reverse. There was a noticable gear change and the car started moving back. I hit the gas, and it just revs. I put it in drive and gas it, it's fine.

The car is a piece, but it takes the miles I put on it in the *ss. I really would hate to put any major money into it. I have noticabely busted wheel bearings, weak struts, worn tires, exhaust leaks out the wazoo, it burns oil, and major major cosmetic damage. But, it is my beater and I love it.

I was just hoping that it's final days would be a blown engine, and not some stupid single gear going out.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

4eats.......................................
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Yeah, well, I'm still going to deliver in it.
Andy Rose
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
1999 Hyundai Accent
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

All the other gears seem okay? I don't know too much about the inner workings of the 4EAT, but maybe it's a worn reverse clutch? If that is the case, you probably won't want to replace it.

Tell us more about this "custom hatchback" Legacy. :)
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Just got some more symptoms. I've noticed the past two days that when the car is cold, the car will go into reverse and go without me pushing on the gas. If I push on the gas, it just revs. After the car has been running awhile and warmed up, reverse doesn't work at all.

About the custom hatchback. Ha ha, it's a thing of beauty. This past winter, I was driving on a 2 lane road right after a big snowfall. For no apparent reason, the back end slides around on me. I start to spin out when I see oncoming traffic approaching me. I spin about 200 degrees before I am smacked in the rear by a 91 cutluss. My car got crushed and the edge of her fender got wrinkled and bumper got scratched. Words really can't describe the shape my car is in, but from the driver's side, it looks as though my car is a hatchback. It cuts straight down right after the glass. I have pictures if someone wants to host. Ha ha. The car is sweet.
Andy Rose
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
1999 Hyundai Accent