Vestigial Air-Suspension Compressor driving me batty

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

frood
First Gear

Vestigial Air-Suspension Compressor driving me batty

Post by frood »

Hey gang. The 1993 Legacy Wagon had its air-suspension removed and replaced with standard struts before we bought it (yay). However, I have noticed that the compressor still engages and runs.

What I want to know is what should I verify/remove to safely get rid of the compressor. It's making the beginnings of 'my bearings are failing' noises.

Can I just yank the compressor somehow? How am I supposed to access it? Remove fender or just the wheel and plastic fender liner?

Is there a computer I need to pull too? Lemme know.

Cheers,
Chris
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I don't know of any frequent posters who had the air system, but Josh might be able to tell you where the big parts are.

You should be able to simply remove the fuse for the compressor in order to get it to be quiet and stop drawing power. Removing the pump would save some weight, and removing all of the lines would reduce the clutter.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah you can remove the compressor & tank from the inner fender as well as the air lines.

Until you get time to pull all that out you can remove the air suspension relay that goes to the compressor and keep it from running. It's located on near the driver's strut top in the engine bay. See this link
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... tion02.jpg

The air suspension computer is under the driver's seat
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... tion06.jpg

More info on air suspension switches
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... tion07.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Maybe you could do something with it. What about pneumatic retractable front air dam?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
frood
First Gear

Post by frood »

lol

Say, mebbe you're right. Let's see... what was that horrible 70's movie "the Big Bus" or some such.... had tires that could be inflated on the fly...

On a serious note... it could be funny to install an air hose somewhere inside the engine compartment and put a switch in so that I can use the compressed air to inflate the tires when necessary. Now that would be swank. ;)

Also great for beach balls and inflatable rafts . . . not ... that we get a lot of call for those items here in Pittsburgh -sigh-
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

-Jason Grahn
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Some old cars used to have on-board compressors for tire inflation. My grandfather's '28 Packard limo (I'm convinced bought with bootlegging money) had such a thing as did a boss' Pierce Arrow.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
1993 Legacy
In Neutral

Post by 1993 Legacy »

Hi Chris,
It's pretty simple. here is a recap:

Take front left tire off.
Take the plastic in the wheel well off. It will reveal the compressor and tank assembly.

The compressor itself is held in place with four screws which attach to a metal chassis of some kind which in turn is bolted to the body. When I removed my compressor for service I didn't take the chassis off but only the compressor so I am not sure of the exact location of the compressor chassis screws. However, I seem to recall that there were a total of four screws holding it to the body.

There is a air line distributor of some kind right next to the compressor and this is held in place with two small screws.

The air tank is also there but further towards the engine.

All the parts are easily accessible and removeable.

The fuse for the air suspension is located in the fuse box inside the cabin on the left side of the drivers footwell. I am not sure which one it is exactly but if I remembver correctly it was fuse no.10 on my car. Just check the fuse box cover diagram.

The air suspension "computer" is below the drivers seat. You have to remove the seat and the side trim on the B-pillar and on the driver's sill to lift the carpet. It is bolted to the floor. very straighforward.

The lines for the air struts run the following way:
from the front left wheel well up and then two go through the firewall to the back along the left side of the lower sill (you can see then when you lift the carpet to get to the air suspension computer) and two enter the engine compartment. The one for the right air bag travels along the firewall on the inside of the engine bay. You cannot miss any of them.

There is also a ride height switch on the dashboard but I suggest you leave that one in. Otherwise you'll have a hole in the dash. :))

If you do go ahead and remove all this stuff I would gladly have it all if you want to throw it away. I'll pay shipping. I intend to keep my air suspension up and running for as long as I have the car.

I hope this helps.

best regards

dusan