Shift boot and steering wheel questions

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nicebloke
In Neutral

Shift boot and steering wheel questions

Post by nicebloke »

Just bought a 90 LS Wagon and would like to make the interior a more pleasant environment. I'm buying an STi titanium shift knob but am wondering what can I do about replacing the shift boot. Will a WRX boot fit? Any other suggestions?

Also, I'd like to get a better steering wheel. Are there any drop in replacements that look and feel good and that retain the horn?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You can use any boot you want, just make it fit. Almost all shift boots are universal.

The steering wheel, just requires an adapter hub, and most aftermarkets will bolt on. New WRX wheels bolt right on.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

the titanuim shift knob will leave you with a small problem...any boot you fit will be pulled WAY up, as the original shift knob has a very long shank.

My solution was to retain the original rubber boot, and cut the shift lever shorter and thread more of it. That balances things out. I fit a WRX leather knob I got for $10. The orignal boot, painted black, actually looks pretty good in a retro-cheapo-japanese-car sorta way. Krylon semi-flat black was the ticket, it stuck well and matches the knob and other black surfaces.

I agree 100% about the wheel, I'm still looking for an affordable one. My wheel further aggravates as the foam spins on the metal core, very annoying.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
nicebloke
In Neutral

Post by nicebloke »

Well the titanium knob sale fell through so i bought a stock WRX knob and boot. We'll see how that works...
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I hate my steering wheel with a passion.

My main thing is I want to keep the cruise control, so that would mean messing with some stuff to get it to work with just about any aftermarket wheel.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

i like my wheel. the leather feels nice on my hands, as does the $200+ I'm saving by not buying an aftermarket one
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My aftermarket wheel was less than $100 with the adaptor. I had to add a horn button in the steering column plastic under the wheel as the horn button system on the wheel never worked well. I could have gotten cruise control to work and it would've looked slick, but I lacked the motivation as I never use it anyway. I have a three spoke, fairly small diameter (330 mm ?) with drilled black metal spokes like an older sports car would have. I'm not sure Grant makes them anymore as all I see are rice ones (including one that has multi-colored light up LEDs).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

i want one with LED's and horn buttons that look like "NOS" buttons
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

g0 2 p3P 80y5, y0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s 2 teh V
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

grant has cruise kits that you just wire in that make getting a wheel much more plesant. i personaly want to replace mine but i lack the motovaiton to do the horn, not the cruise
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The horn's easy. I just moved the wires down to a momentary switch to the bottom right corner of the face of the column under the wheel. Adds some interest, too, as it could be anything.

Steve
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I just put tape on the center line of my steering wheel. Totally JDM.

Steve thought it was a GRANT wheel ;)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

center line?
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

330 mm is a 13 inch wheel.

Our (or at least my) wheels are 15 inches.

I was looking at a new wheel awhile ago, but it would end up costing about $150 for the wheel and adapter. Was looking at a simple black 3-spoke from Grant.

I may be able to con my uncle out of a steering wheel, as he has one he never put on his mustang before he sold it........
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
snowjob
Second Gear

Post by snowjob »

I have this wheel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33704

I didn't have the hub, so I got a machine shop to cut the spline out of my stock wheel and weld it into the center of this one. It fits well and is soo awsome to drive with.. Highly recomend it. I lost the cruise, but will rewire it later on. mine cost $50us delivered to me though.

Frazer
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I wonder if Vikash is using my old wheel? I thought it looked pretty good for the price... it was a Grant unit.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It does make a big improvement in steering feel.

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Jason - Matt is going to use the wheel. I have an airbag in my wheel that I don't want to screw with.

That Grant wheel does feel really nice.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212