CRAP! Wrong offset question

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gustavohuber
First Gear

CRAP! Wrong offset question

Post by gustavohuber »

Hi everyone, so I bought a set of wheels off craigslist, and the ad said 48mm offset, so I didn't worry about it, but now that I'm home I saw that on the box, they're stamped 40mm offset.. is there any hope of getting these to work?
/Gus
ex-devastated ex-owner of the $5500 parts car!
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

More than likely. . . . no. Unless the wheels are in boxes that are improperly-labeled or just mismatched with the wheels, and they are, in fact, a 48 offset.

If you go to a local tire shop, they should be able to help you out in determining which is right.
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
gustavohuber
First Gear

spacers?

Post by gustavohuber »

Thanks for the knowledge.. I called the craigslist guy to see if he'd take them back, and he said he doesn't take returns, but I could find wheel spacers at pep boys.. but that seems like asking to break a bolt or something.. any experience with spacers?
/Gus
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Spacers decrease offset, not increase it.

I don't see why it matters that he doesn't take returns -- he didn't give you what you paid for, right?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
gustavohuber
First Gear

Post by gustavohuber »

So the danger with 40mm offset isn't that it will rub the springs, but that it will rub on the fender?
/Gus
gustavohuber
First Gear

Post by gustavohuber »

also, I can't prove that the ad said 48mm offset, since it's expired off craigslist.. but I'm so sure of it. Either way, $200 isn't enough to litigate over. I'm sure some toyota will want them.
/Gus
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, that's the most immediate danger. There's also some concern about long-term wear of the wheel bearings and such.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
gustavohuber
First Gear

Post by gustavohuber »

also, the guys says they measure to 42mm offset.. if that makes a difference.
Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

My wheels i got are like 38 mm offset. the only time it rubs is when i take a big dip.. but dont make the same mistake i did they will go off on ya hehe. but its doing great for me so just sell yours and get some like higher one..
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

if you want to widen the track of the vehicle (get it away from the spring) then a wheel spacer is the correct part to use.

With the wheels on the car, measure how much gap is available between the inside of the fender and outside of the wheel/tire combo. This will be the maximum spacer size you can use. A complete, well manufactured kit should include longer wheel studs as well.
-Jason Grahn
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Check the back of the wheel and see what offset is stamped.

If it's 40, then it's 40, and it won't measure to "42" and the guy is lying.

The major question... how wide are the wheels? If they are wide (8"), then 42 would be OK probably... but the rim would be almost to wide to squeeze under the fender.

My 17x7.5's are et48mm, and I am flush with the fender. OEM WRX wheels are et53 and, I think, 6" wide. So if the wheel is wide enough, offset is going to be the least of your fitment issues.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Amit
In Neutral

Post by Amit »

I've heard that spacers hurt your vehicles turning ability. Is this true? If it is, wouldn't that practically be like saying a wide rim will hurt your turning capabilities?
The Noob.