Alpine Sport skidplate?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

Alpine Sport skidplate?

Post by musketeerracing »

Anyone know what one of these looks like? Is it at all substantial?

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

i got one i gotta take a pic
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

I just had a custom skid plate made. I'll post a pic and see if anyone wants one.
98 LGT
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

That's my new one. 8)
98 LGT
musketeerracing
First Gear

HomeSlice wrote:i got one i gotta take a pic
Is it metal or molded plastic?

Or carbon-kevlar ;)

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

Oooooohhh Skid Plates!
What do those run? I was on a jeep trail nearby, came over a hill, and there was a 1ft^3 rock in the trail that I saw all too late. It doesn't leak, but my oilpan doesn't hold as much oil as it used to now that it has that huge dent in it. I'm guessing that a skid plate would have helped. Heck. Sheet metal is easy to come by. Has anyone made their own?
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
musketeerracing
First Gear

Yeesh. Remember that your oilpan isn't just an empty bowl - there's an oil pickup, baffles, and at the extreme your cranksaft in there. If you've damaged it consider having it off to inspect it.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It would take something beyond a dent to damage anything internally in the pan. I had a nice whack in mine since I bought it. The pick up is pretty far back and the baffle doesn't start at the front either. The crank is pretty high up. If you whacked it that hard, you'd probably have some other issues to boot.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
oursTOdestroy
In Neutral

Post by oursTOdestroy »

on our teams stage car they are running the "rally front skid plate" i believe, but for the legacy (not the wrx as it mentions) from primitive

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

isotopeman wrote:Oooooohhh Skid Plates!
What do those run? I was on a jeep trail nearby, came over a hill, and there was a 1ft^3 rock in the trail that I saw all too late. It doesn't leak, but my oilpan doesn't hold as much oil as it used to now that it has that huge dent in it. I'm guessing that a skid plate would have helped. Heck. Sheet metal is easy to come by. Has anyone made their own?
haha... I know the feeling... I went over a jump in mine, and although subarus in rally take in flight situations pretty well, stock suspension simply doen't do the trick... I bottomed out hard and decreased the oil pan capacity by quite a bit.

This was months ago though and I've since replaced the oil pan. I'm only now straightening the frame as it got kinda tweaked in teh landing too and hence I can not put a new radiator in place of my cracked one (not from the accident). I'm going to take a sheet of diamond plate and make a skid plate once I have the frame straight.

BTW, I didn't jump it on purpose, I just didn't know there was a really large mound before a ditch on the trail I was on :p
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I want a skid plate for the Forester.

What is the upper attachment point on the front portion?

I want one that goes right up to the cat, so I have no worries about denting anything, and I'd love it if I could jack from it.

Anyone know of a company that makes something like that?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

why not just get a older loyal front skid plate, make a few reinforcements, and extend it out to the frame rails or something, wouldn't take too long, and would be strong since it already fastens to the core support and the engine cradle.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Info? Link? Does this Alpine Sports one fit BC-BF Legacies without modification?

oursTOdestroy wrote:on our teams stage car they are running the "rally front skid plate" i believe, but for the legacy (not the wrx as it mentions) from primitive

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm
Does primitive make one that fits 90-94 Legacies now??? Last I enquired, they had never test fit to an older Legacy and the one I bought for my RS did not fit at all.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

I want a skid plate for the Forester.

What is the upper attachment point on the front portion?

I want one that goes right up to the cat, so I have no worries about denting anything, and I'd love it if I could jack from it.

Anyone know of a company that makes something like that?
The front attachment points are three threaded holes on the bottom of the radiator support. I guess you could jack at the rear of the skid plate as the rear attachment point IS the jack plate.

I posted a followup to rallysam's skidplate thead in the review forum:

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=1718

It is easy enough to mount and unmount the skid plate as needed. I can roll up on wheel ramps and mount the plate in about 10 or 15 minutes.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

But does anyone make one for a Forester?

I guess it should be the same as for a GC chassis. I'll have to look closely at the plate on Sam's car.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Sorry, I think my RS one got stolen from the alley behind my office. I dunno why some crackhead would want a piece of aluminum but hey.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Dangit. Goddamn crackheads.

Maybe he was gonna do a LOT of coke, and didn't have a big enough spoon? Industrial sized drug usage. Heat it with a MIG welder.

ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

rallysam wrote:Sorry, I think my RS one got stolen from the alley behind my office. I dunno why some crackhead would want a piece of aluminum but hey.
That's a lot more efficient than collecting a whole shopping cart full of aluminum cans and cashing them in.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

In the caribbean they use a steel drum with a dozen steernos under it. It doubles as a Wok,
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Funny thing is, I left my 91 L Wagon parked on the streets of downtown Baltimore 24/7 for 3 months UNlocked, because the door locks were broken. Nobody took the car or anything inside.

Yet, crackheads took a big piece of aluminum. I guess my beat up old wagon must have looked pretty bad!