need some VF11 help

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subaru_styles
Third Gear

need some VF11 help

Post by subaru_styles »

hello all..it's my first post, but im sure alot of you know me from the USMB.

anyway.. i purchased a VF11 for my wagon and the wastegate rod is bent, broken, and basiclly fubar'd. so basiclly do I need to get a new wastegate from another VF11 or is there other models with the exact same part? can i get just the wastegate assembly new? i don't need an aftermarket one as i have a GFB boost controler..

im gonna give this a few days then throw a post in the classifes to see if anyone has any turbo parts..thanks
-Brad
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

As long as the wastegate and actuator are fine, you can replace that rod with something else solid to allow the actuator to push the wastegate open... Home Depot has all-thread rods that might be perfect with a little modification and ends to thread on.

I believe Vikash isn't even using a rod if I remember correctly, he's got a spring holding the wastegate shut and the strength of the spring determines when the pressure behind the wastegate itself causes it to overcome the spring tension and open.

You've got options.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You definitely need the rod. I have a spring in parallel with the rod that makes it harder for the rod to move, that's all.

I like Chris' idea of repairing the rod with some all-thread. Maybe you could cut away the bad portion of the rod, use a die to thread the ends, and use a short piece of all-thread and some coupling nuts to connect them? As a bonus, you could cinch down the nuts to raise boost.

If you don't mind playing with things a little bit, you should be able to make an actuator from pretty much any other turbo work for you. You just need to be able to bolt the actuator to the compressor housing and attach the end of the rod to the wastegate flapper rod.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

well i threw a post in the marketplace..lets see if anyone has some spare turbos to part out :D

thanks for the suggestions guys
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon