Wheels Project

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

morgie
Third Gear

Wheels Project

Post by morgie »

My wheels were all dirty and not looking so good anymore, with paint / coating starting to peel-off at a lot of places, so i decided to help them a little. Un-coat them, then polish them completely.

where is the result just after Un-Coating the first one... it looks a LOOOOOOOOOT better !

Try the hires version of the pic to see it better.

HiRes : http://images3.fotki.com/v26/free/dd207 ... img-or.jpg

The dark-grey spots you see on the mag is actually oxydation.. Sanding will remove all that.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

How did you strip the paint off of the wheels. My wheels are in very bad shape. I tried Air Craft striper but it did not work so well. The OE coating is very thick. I am going to sand blast my wheels and have them powder coated. I found a local powder coater that will coat all four for $150.00. I think I am going with the gun metal coat.
'92 Silver Legacy Sedan 5 speed
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

i used this :
http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_ite ... temNbr=320

You apply that on the wheel coating with a brush, let it react for 20mins (a little tric: put plastic wrap (kitchen) on the wheels so the product wont evaporate). After 20 mins, the wheels coating start to blister, and you can litterally peel the coating off with your hands (not bare hands since this product burns skin pretty hard (learned that the hard way :( )) . I also used a Putty knife to scrap the coating off. Some coating may still stick to the wheel... put some more Remover on it, wait 5 mins, and then remove.

it's quite easy... the longest part is to sand and polish the wheels... they are quite "ruff" under that coating. :(

I started with sanding paper grade 180, but i think i'll start with something bigger. Then i have 300, 600 and 1000. If i want to be "hardcore" i could also use 2000, but i don't think i'll go that far.

Then, some metal polish, and job will be done.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd highly suggest the powder coating over painting. Much more durable finish, and better looking IMO.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
2.2Turbo
In Neutral

Post by 2.2Turbo »

I had my wheels blasted with fine glass. They turned out awesome. I drop them off Monday at the powder coater.
'92 Silver Legacy Sedan 5 speed
'86 Buick Grand National
'87 Silver Buick T Type
'87 Light Yellow T Type
'88 Chevy 1/2 ton twd