lowering

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

lowering

Post by 91White-T »

I just want to get an idea of all the stuff I'm gonna need to do this from someone who's done it or knows what's involved. Am I gonna need anything besides the actual springs to make them fit?
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

IIRC, there's already a ton of information on lowering/upgrading the suspension on our cars in this very forum. I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to keep the amount of threads to a minimum. That being said, here's a thread that includes suspension stuff...

viewtopic.php?t=1167

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

My question wasn't which struts to get.... I wanted to know what I'm gonna need BESIDES the springs and shocks.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

You've got a 91 so you have the tapered rears. Unless you get 91-specific springs (from whiteline), you'll also need new top mounts.

Is that the question you were asking?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

You'll probably want to replace the top hats/mounts. Also, there's a few little rubber pieces, at the top of the strut/spring combo that can get pretty hammered on. They sit between the spring and the top(metal) piece. I'm not sure of the part numbers for the respective pieces, but maybe someone on here does. Aside from that, I can't think of anything else you'd need.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Im lazy to type a whole bunch of stuff but I have taken Legacy suspension apart at least 6 times so far, done the conversion from air to standard twice on subaru's and swapped to different spring types.

Any specific questions I can help?
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I was thinkin to just get a set of new springs and struts and put it all together off the car and just swap em out when I get some time. Are there Legacy specific parts I should get, or does other stuff fit?
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you want to do a complete swap you will need the complete strut tops which are three parts in the back and 4 parts in the front along with the plastic shaft guards and the bump stops.
206er
Fifth Gear

rear top mounts

Post by 206er »

On a 91 wagon can these be swapped for later legacy tops, allowing the fitment of eibach or h&r's? I may decide to go the lowering spring route after all. what are the part #'s I would need to convert to a non-tapered spring?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

I put in KYB GR2 series struts that stiffened up the rid quite a bit. They have 30% more dampening that helps you hug the corners very well.

As far as springs are concerned...I wasn't satisfied with any aftermarket spring for my Legacy, so I had them cut and reshaped by a friend of mine who does lowering. Other aftermarket springs don't lower the car enough and in many cases, it doesnt even look lowered.

I had to lower mine like over 2.5 inches for it to look lowered and have that nice handling you get when you lower.

2.5+ inches!!!

I'm very satisfied with the results. However, I do warn that putting 17x7 wheels on a lowered Legacy can get a little scetchy. I have spent tons of time working on the body to get the wheels to fit in the wheel wells. But as far as I'm concerned, its worth it...the car looks awesome.

This is the usual comment: "OMG is that a lowered first gen Legacy?!" 8)
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Pictures please
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Are you asking for pictures so that we can say bad things about it?!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

:lol: No,mainly I want to see the 17's and body work he mentioned. :wink: Are we worried about a "SPESHAL" flashback?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
sullione
Second Gear

Post by sullione »

Did you ever get all the info. you needed for lowering legacy92ej22t? If not, PM me and I'll hook you up. I just did this two weeks ago and I love the results.
James
1991 Legacy LSi sold!!!
2003 Infiniti G35
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

sullione wrote:Did you ever get all the info. you needed for lowering legacy92ej22t? If not, PM me and I'll hook you up. I just did this two weeks ago and I love the results.
Thanks but at the present time I'm not looking to lower my car.Doing engine mods before suspension.91White-T started thread but down the road a little I might lower mine about an inch or two to get the stance right.I guess I now who to ask about it though in the future :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

Sorry for the delay...I'm having internet probs. I'll try to get some pics as soon as I can.

You can see my Legacy under "Readers Rides" on LegacyCentral. Its under NA's.

Its lower than what it looks like in those pics...and I have lowered it more since then.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy