custom I/C?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

custom I/C?

Post by greg donovan »

just skimmed the april GRM DIY turbo article.

its looks pretty good.

in it was a blurb about getting end tanks and cores and building your own I/C so you dont have to deal w/the design compromises the manufacturer had to make.

anyone know anything about doing this.

i know you need to be able to weld aluminum.

would be nice to get a TMIC that fot w/out modding the firewall and was a little more efficient than the SAAB one.

the article also talked about several potential donor I/Cs and rated them.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

it would be hard to get one to fit without modding the fire wall and still haveing a good amount of core area and not having heat soak too. if you do do a custom ic than do a front mount even though there are some that will fit there good without modification of the beam as mine does
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i have no intention to run enough boost to warrant a FMIC.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Aluminum welding is a B!T@H compared to steel.
YES, If I cold get a good core and do my own endtanks I could fab up a good top mount and supports. But in the end, I think it will be easier to get a WRX FMIC and do a few mods to it instead.

Just my 2 cents
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i also have no desire to take a hammer to the firewall of my car.

if i can find a guy to weld aluminum and the price is right i may do this.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

get a wrx ic and mod the endtanks so that you dont have to do any bashing
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

azn2nr wrote:get a wrx ic and mod the endtanks so that you dont have to do any bashing
what modding needs to be done?

could you point me to a good thread that outlines these mods?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

azn2nr wrote:get a wrx ic and mod the endtanks so that you dont have to do any bashing
What the hell are you talking about? :? . The only tank is on the top and that faces the firewall. You'd have to make custom ones on the sides, plug up the Y-Pipes, seal the top, cut off the sides and weld new tanks on.
98 LGT
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

J-MoNeY wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? :? . The only tank is on the top and that faces the firewall. You'd have to make custom ones on the sides, plug up the Y-Pipes, seal the top, cut off the sides and weld new tanks on.
thats what i thought. im so confused.

i still think i will build my own I/C.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

if you use the wrx core you can take off the endtanks and build new ones that are slimer and fit better. youll need to build a new induction pipe yes but youll still have a core to work with
-jason
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

What ever happened to using a turbo forrester TMIC?
Fernely
In Neutral

Post by Fernely »

Guys I don't post much anymore but here is a place that has been around forever and will make you a custom application for a decent price. road race engineering With a little mix and matching you may end up with a perfect intercooler then pass on the info for the rest.
We have two seasons in Miami, Hot and Hotter!
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

azn2nr wrote:if you use the wrx core you can take off the endtanks and build new ones that are slimer and fit better. youll need to build a new induction pipe yes but youll still have a core to work with
I see what you mean now. The only issue is that it would be a hassle to do that without doing a lot of custom work. Where as you can take a hammer for free and go buck wild.
98 LGT
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

yeah but the original idea was custom work
-jason
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

azn2nr wrote:if you use the wrx core you can take off the endtanks and build new ones that are slimer and fit better. youll need to build a new induction pipe yes but youll still have a core to work with
i fail to see how this is any easier than buying a "blank" core and adding premade endtanks.

that is what i would assue RRE would do.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

AWIC.

Why bother with custom?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:AWIC.

Why bother with custom?
after seeing what laurel and art went through i fail to see how that is any easier either.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Well I remember Laurel had a hard time with the stock heat exchanger.

My AWIC went on just fine, it was not as easy as a TMIC but it was an easy weekend project. I didn't try to use the stock radiator for it, just my A/C condensor.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

since i am keeping the A/C i think i will continue to find a way to get a nice TMIC as i dont plan on enough mods to warrant a FMIC.

i think i will try to find a old slant style TMIC.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

just so you know i have one of thoes slant ones sittin here
-jason
Brandon Clifton

Post by Brandon Clifton »

greg- At 12 psi and an ambient air temperature of 40 degrees F, the intake air temperature exceeds 80 degrees F. It only goes up from there. I don't understand why these cars ever came non-intercooled in the first place.

As for using a WRX non-slant IC, it's not that big of a deal. I put mine on Monday afternoon in about an hour and only required one weld. Granted I had a custom turbo outlet made, but I could have made it from radiator hose pieces just like I did on my Civic.

I used two plates and some gasket material to cover the stock inlets. I then welded a 1.600" dia x 2.0" tube to the endtank and used a hole saw to cut into the end tank. The coupler is a piece of 2.5'' 3-layer silicon stretched over the IC and TB, and the BOV is
running open atmosphere right now because I need to cut a flange to clock it about 40 degrees and put the outlet back on, then plumb it back into the intake tract.
The turbo outlet is made from two long-raduis 90 degree 1.25 SCH 40 elbows and two long-radius 45 degree 1.25 SCH 40 elbows. I will most likely replace this with .050" wall tubing.
The tube that connects the turbo outlet to the IC inlet is a radiator hose.
I disconnected the coolant tank, cut off the mounting tabs, and rotated it so the long axis is perpendicular to the crank and the cap toward the driver's side (not shown).
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Looks familiar...
98 LGT
Brandon Clifton

Post by Brandon Clifton »

Sure does! Why does everyone keep saying they have to hammer the firewall though? I didn't have to hammer anything.
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Brandon Clifton wrote:Sure does! Why does everyone keep saying they have to hammer the firewall though? I didn't have to hammer anything.
But isn't the hammering of the mount in the center of the firewall done to clear the stock WRX inlet hoses (which you obviously do not have as yours has a modified inlet setup on the IC)? The stock configuration of the inlet hoses running down the back of the IC makes the IC notably deeper as far as fitment.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

brandon and j-money, that is a very nice setup. i will have to read j-money's install write up a little more thoroughly i think.

the end tank is aluminum, right? so i will have to source that out to someone.

and that custome pipe is stainless?

is it possible to keep the chimney w/this setup? it doesnt look like it.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan