Is this clutch going to work?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sammydafish
Third Gear

Is this clutch going to work?

Post by sammydafish »

Some research on this board and elsewhere says that all NA clutches are the same on all the EJ engines. I just want to double check as most parts catalogs list them differently (though often list the same part numbers).

I've recently slapped a turbo onto my 1990 Subaru wagon. The thing is pretty damn quick now, but unfortunatly as soon as the boost comes on past 3-5 psi the turbo starts slipping.

So far the best deal I've seen is this one --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

anyone ever buy from these guys before? Is that clutch a stronger one than the stocker? I don't see a listing for an NA exedy clutch in most catalogs so I'm not 100% sure it exists, and this price is pretty cheap for a whole kit no matter what the brand.

Thoughts?
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

It looks like the organic exedy clutch or stage 1. If that's what it is, its a good clutch and will hold down the power your making. When you start adding a lot of power tho it tends to burn a little.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

Do you know how much power anyone's made with this clutch holding strong? The car is a wagon, so there's a little bit more weight to slug around. This turbo made a little over 300rwhp on my Supra. I don't think I'll be anywhere near that, but I've got to imagine the 150whp range should be easily atainable. It will mostly depend on what the factory pistons can take.

So I guess the question is, will this clutch hold up to that kind of power, or at least something close to it?
- Junior
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

Well, I've been researching this for a while now and I'm still not sure what's right. That eBay clutch is Dalkin part number 15010, this is the application guide for that clutch right from the Exedy/Dalkin catalog

SUBARU
IMPREZA, 1.8L 1781 4 1994-95
IMPREZA, 1.8L 1781 4 1996-97
IMPREZA, 2.2L 2200 4 1995-01
LEGACY, OUTBACK 2.2L 4 EJ22 1989-97

This is the listing for the 15801
IMPREZA, LEGACY 2.5L 1997-01 EJ25 15801 29% 1650

The 15801 is the stage 1 clutch for the 2.5rs Impreza. My question is, will it fit in my 90 EJ22 AWD N/A. So far I've been under the impression that all Naturaly asperated EJ engines use the same clutch no matter if they are FWD or AWD. Is this true? It almost seems it, but then I wonder why exedy doesn't list more applications.

In addition, if you look up a clutch for a late model Impreza 2.2 in Worldpac, this note is in there for thier part number 75808 which seems to just be the Dalkin 15010 clutch with Exedy listed ans the manufacturer.

" Can interchange with Daikin kit 15-010, for most applications but BEWARE of year differences. SBK-120= 3 pc. kit w/ Valeo pressure plate & Aisin clutch disc & T/O brng. 15-010 is a 5 pc. kit including the pilot bearing and alignment tool."

It looks like every Subaru has the same 25.2mm shaft with 24 splines. I know the EJ25 clutch for the Impreza is 225mm disc, but I'm not sure what the EJ22 disc is.

It seems that in every listing I can find, applications for the EJ25 are different than those for the EJ22 and EJ18. Looks like something might have changed when they went to DOHC.

Even for a stock replacement Dalkin/Exedy lists a different clutch for the 2.5 liter engines.

SUBARU
IMPREZA, 2.5L 2457 4 1998
LEGACY, OUTBACK 2.5L 4 1996-98

so.............................. will a clutch for a 2.5rs Impreza fit my 90 EJ22 N/A ?????

Is anyone here running the 15801 clutch on thier EJ22?
Last edited by sammydafish on Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Junior
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think they have their stuff messed up. You can't have a 1.8 wrx, nor have a clutch that fits a wrx and 2.2l legacy, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

yeah, looks like they list the WRX and Impreza like it's always the same car .... that obvious mistake asside, has anyone run the 15801 EJ25 clutch on thier EJ22?
- Junior
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

im sure it will fit. im going to buy a clutch similar to that as well. im debating on getting a light weight flywheel or not also.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I dont really remember but i think my clutch is for a 2.5RS and the flywheel is for a wrx, its been a while since i messed with it.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

DAI 15-801

Post by kleinkid »

That is the clutch that I have in my 91SS EJ22T. RalliTEK install.
sammydafish
Third Gear

Re: DAI 15-801

Post by sammydafish »

kleinkid wrote:That is the clutch that I have in my 91SS EJ22T. RalliTEK install.
You have this clutch on a EJ22T? Arn't all the turbos pull type clutches, or did you swap to the N/A clutch?
- Junior
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

hmm i heard that the WRX flywheel wouldnt work for the N/A trannies. same as clutches for the WRX. it sucks that the N/A ones are a lot more expensive.... heheh...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The WRX flywheel....hence...and the WRX clutch are larger in diameter then the n/a ones, and the turbo legacy.....and CAN NOT be interchanged.

In addition, the turbo legacy & na trans setup can't be swapped either.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

ok, so no turbo's involved, does the NA EJ22 and N/A EJ25 clutch the same?

I assume the 2.5RS is a push type like the other N/As, but I've never done a clutch on one, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to look it up in the book.

So far the only person that says they are running this clutch is running an EJ22T engine, which uses an enterly different clutch, so I'm still confused.
- Junior
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

sammydafish wrote:ok, so no turbo's involved, does the NA EJ22 and N/A EJ25 clutch the same?
Yes they are the same
sammydafish wrote:I assume the 2.5RS is a push type like the other N/As, but I've never done a clutch on one, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to look it up in the book.
Yes the 2.5RS has a push type clutch

So far the only person that says they are running this clutch is running an EJ22T engine, which uses an enterly different clutch, so I'm still confused.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

What are you confused about? As long as you have a matching style flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, tob and fork, you can use any setup on any engine.

There's like 3-4 people with rs transmissions and EJ22T's, that I know of. My car drove fine with an rs trans and an EJ22E, and still drives fine with an rs trans and an EJ22T.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

yea from what i have been hearing, its fine to use an N/A tranny wit an ej22T.

also, im pretty sure the clutch you were looking at is also available for the WRX and legacy turbo. so it may look the same but is different in fitment and all that. i THINK that is where you were confused. if that clutch says its for an N/A then most likely it will work for your car.

its hard because there is confusion and so much information here that conflicts with one another. people would say otherwise from what a group of people say is true or not.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Here is my thread on the Awesome Kennedy 6 puck disk for $97

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... ght=clutch
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

ok so im really confused right now which goes with which.

sorry for the hijack but i need to know what clutch to get for my ej18 awd tranny that would be most cost effective and hold power
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]