Hey boostjunkie, Over here!

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Hey boostjunkie, Over here!

Post by LegacyT »

I remeber you (and I) were wondering how that early WRX intercooler would hold up to keeping the intake charge cool in the summer, back when it was cold out. Now that the summer is here, how is it treating you? I presume you still have the little stock scoop on? Any signs of detonation?

Thanks,
Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yes we were wondering that, weren't we?

Well, it got up to the mid-80s here one day last weekend . . . Drove it hard on the highway and stopped the car a little afterwards . . . the end tanks were warm, but not hot . . . that's the good news . . .

Drove it in stop and go traffic and pulled over . . . and the intercooler end tanks were hot!!! Almost hot enough to burn my hand on it!!! So I installed my intercooler spray. The fan nozzles only spray into the intercooler core so I hope it'll relieve some of the heatsoak.

FWIW, even when the intercooler was scalding I did a couple of hard acceleration runs with the car. No audible knocking . . . I'm not sure if the car is losing some power because of the ecu pulling timing (possibly) or whether it's the ambient temp of the air. It quite honestly could be a combination of both.

Oh yeah, due to the freak-out nature of MBCs to weather changes, I was only boosting 1bar. I was too lazy to adjust boost. Good thing, because the next day, it was rainy and 60 degees!!

Hope this helps.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

FWIW, I have had success with my Saab IC. the tubing is somewhat jimmy-funded. the hoses fropm teh turbo to the IC don't mate with the turbo just right, and the curves are less than optimal. still, the hoses and IC both stay at a reasonable temperature. should be in the high 80s next week. I'll keep y'all updated.

Still no buyer for my Legacy. everyone around here is poor :D . I'm fine with that tho. gives me an excuse to tell the wife every week. "sorry honey, haven't sold her yet :devil:
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Damn, where have you been hiding Igg?!?!?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

since I lost my job I've had to deal with the harsh reality of having to sell one of my 2 cars. since the legacy is the "toy", it's been chosen to go. Thankfully, it hasn't sold yet tho :D . I also lost any extra income that could've gone towards mods and whatnot. the legacy has maybe seen one or two outings a week :( . so I just haven't had as many issues to chat about as I did before. the IC setup is holding up well. the only issue now is an oil leak from behind the timing belt cover, but that's not so much an issue as an inconvenience.

with any luck I'll get a job soon and won't have to worry so much about selling the Legacy :D .
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Yeah Igg, get a job and stay here with us. We're all stand up guys :lol:

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT