Gigantic hole in the side of my car....

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Gigantic hole in the side of my car....

Post by BAC5.2 »

So I decided to get savvy and try to fix the rust on the rear quarter panel of my car.

Upon removing the rust, I found that it went all the way through, so I just removed it and cut the metal around it.

Now, I have a few options.

1) I can figure out how to weld, and TRY to weld a plate over it.

2) I can just use straight up fiberglass and try to get it as smooth as possible.

3) I can pop-rivet a peice of aluminum over the hole and then fiberglass over that to smooth it all out at least a little.

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards #3, but let me hear what you guys have to say.

I must say, it was pretty fun to cut into the car like that. However scary it may have been :(

Phil
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Do whatever you are most skilled/comfortable with. I sure wouldn't want to weld on my car without having a ton of practice first. 3 seems like the best option.
90 L+ wgn
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

i would shoot for three... sounds like the one that would be the least likely to turn into a "i wish i would have done that first" sorta situation.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

it depends on how big the hole is. #1 is the best option for lonegevity. You can always take it to a body place and have them weld in a piece for not too much.

In #3, I would worry about forever seeing rivit pieces/marks
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Duct Tape and Bondo baby :P

J/K

# 3 seems the best idea.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd epoxy the alloy in. You won't get electrolytic corrosion that way either as the adhesive will keep the layers apart. Welding the metal is difficult if you don't know what you're doing as it's so thin.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

4) find a new chassis? That sounds pretty eaten to me...
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'd actually braze rather than weld, I think... And brazing's pretty easy to do. You could grab some random sheetmetal from Crazy Ray's to practice on.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Barely eaten at all - I imagine these are the rear quarters behind the wheels? These cars only have several small spots of problems (that every car gets). Doubt he'd find a much better chassis without going across country and then he'd have to deal with a likely ugly color and then the pain of switching everything around.

Southern Californians ... [shakes head] :lol:

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

evolutionmovement wrote:
Southern Californians ... [shakes head] :lol:
NORTHERN californian! :x

...but yeah, if a car has rust spots, we take pictures of it.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
josh9227
In Neutral

Post by josh9227 »

its like this on both sides of mine and i need a new door i hate winter
ver 4 STI 300hp VF23....now td04 :-( dam shaft 4.444 spec c trany LTD slip plated diff SOLD
2002 forester S sport 5spd STOCK for now.....
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I had the same as your problem Josh. An angle grinder, 3M bristle disk, bondo and a bodyshop later I had 6 months of a good looking fender. Now the rust is back, I think I'm going to buy my next car from Texas or California, or just something without 260,000 miles on it.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Bondo is really a temporary repair. I hate the stuff because it's difficult to prepare the metal (which needs to be completely shiny to get rid of any trace of cancer - a harder thing to do than it sounds) and then the moisture gets under the Bondo and accelerates the rust. Even on healthy metal it sucks. In the old days they would smoothe out uneven panels with lead.

Steve
gnuman
First Gear

Post by gnuman »

evolutionmovement wrote:Bondo is really a temporary repair. I hate the stuff because it's difficult to prepare the metal (which needs to be completely shiny to get rid of any trace of cancer - a harder thing to do than it sounds) and then the moisture gets under the Bondo and accelerates the rust. Even on healthy metal it sucks. In the old days they would smoothe out uneven panels with lead.

Steve
In some places they still do, well, tin. . .
Actually, that was my 4). you can solder the new sheet into place, and if you use enough flux, it will be a clean, rust free job. Once you have it all smoothed out you need to coat it on both sides to prevent a reoccurance.
1992 Legacy L Wagon 'Emily" Ice Blue, plush seats, roof rack, towing hitch, upgraded radio/CD player, LS alloy wheels, and lots of love! 180K miles and going very strong!
You will get my Legacy from me when you pry my cold dead fingers from the wheel.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I cut the metal and removed all rust, then used some bondo patch (stainless adheasive mesh) to cover the hole and offer me a little support to lay fiberglass.

I laid a bunch of fiberglass, smoothed it out, used some body filler to make it nice and smooth, and I just primered it today. I'll finish priming it tomorrow and paint it, then I'll be good to go.

Not entirely 100% you'll never know, but still pretty acceptable and I don't need to look at cancer on the side of my car.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

Is it not possible to just buy another fender? I keep thinking that everything I've looked at on my wagon was bolted on, and the fender for the front quarter panel was 125$ new.
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

But this is a rear quarter panel.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on Phil. Man, that would be nerve racking to cut into your car.

Hope it turns out nice. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Hopefully it will. I'll just keep repairing body panels that need to be repaired until the whole car is fiberglass, lol.

It might not be perfect, but it'll be better to look at than rust :). I'll get pics later today.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hehe, that'll be good weight reduction! You'll have the worlds only 2500 lb SS without giving up your AC and interior! :lol:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You could chop the whole fender flare out all together and replace it with glass at the joins.

The Lotus guy I know is helping me replace my crunched quarter with new metal. He has all the tools and everything - this guy rules! Then he tried to convince me the Lotus Europa he had in the garage was 'all me'.

Steve
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

My fender liner fell out a couple days ago going around a corner, and now I can see tiny bits of rust where screws were. ugh. This will be fun
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I had my body work done and the car repainted. The rust is already coming back and the dude left buffing patterns in my paint. :x
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm thinking of using adhesive instead of welding on my new panel after talking to an auto body guy.

Steve