Subaru becoming a go-cart

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Grant
Second Gear

Subaru becoming a go-cart

Post by Grant »

Any way to make our cars have tighter steering? New rack? WRX rack? What is our turn-to-turn ratio. I was trying to find it online but didn't have much luck. Probably not looking in the right place. Anyone know what other Subaru models ratio is. I know Imprezas feel to me to have a quicker feel. Thanks
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Tighter stearing, if I understand you correctly will be most easily acheived with the following (in my own order of what I think is most important)

Tires
Alignment
Throttle/Brake use (balance of the vehicle)
Speed into the corner
Sway Bars, other suspension items (to a lesser degree, alk for example)
Tire pressure
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My collection of too much Subaru information states:
our BC/BF - 3.3 turns (16.0 gear ratio)
2.5 RS - 3.2 turns
New Age Impreza 2.5 - 3.22 turns
New Age WRX - 3.02 turns
European and Japanese model WRX's have racks in the 2.6 to 2.8 turns range, but of course they're on the wrong side anyway.
I read that the new WRX STI has a 2.7 turn rack, but that was from Sport Compact Car where they stated the standard WRX as a ratio of 16.5, which can't be right as that would make that a slower rack than the BC/BFs. All the other info I got from the factory manuals and the foreign stuff from You & Your Subaru Impreza Turbo. Now if I can just get my own book featuring a turbo Legacy published I'll be able to completely fill that book shelf with Subaru... Oh, man I'm never going to get married :?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Good info, evolutionmovement.

There is one option to give you a quicker steering rack than any OEM Subaru one, if you have big bucks. Rev-Lab rebuilds Subaru steering racks to be quicker. They usually make them about 2.4 turns lock-to-lock, although they do sometimes make them even quicker for race-only purposes (since that would be dangerous on the street).

They rebuild your stock rack for around 2 grand, or sell you a modified brand new rack for around 3 grand.

http://www.rev-lab.com/

I wish I had 2 grand.
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

Yeah I read somewhere that the STI was 2.7 too. I know when I was driving it, the amount of input felt much smaller on the wheel to get the same amount of turn out of my car. I was watching some in-car video from one of my last rallycrosses and was watching the magic my hands were working with the steering wheel and I think I could be more efficient with a quicker rack. I know alot of the VW guys change racks around like crazy on their Golf rally cars and have never heard anything about it on here or any other Subaru forum or site so thought I'd pose the question.
Thanks for the responses.

Ciper: All of those will definetly give me better control and less over/under steer, therefore quicker steering and better handling but I was refering to the steering rack and ratios. Thanks
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

vrg3:
That is exactly what I was looking for. At least it's only $2000 CND. That's only about $1500 US. Not bad I guess. Imagine a 90 degree turn without taking a hand off the wheel. Or being able to steer with your left and shift with your right simultaneously.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

if you do a search on nasioc suspension forum for quick ratio steering racks there is a little bit of info on this rack
I have been trying to contact revlab for a couple of weeks via email for a little while with no reply.
It sounds like a good rack. it's really the only option that I am aware of. prodrive 13-1 racks are 3k and used sti's about the same as the revlab.
I am gona get the 11.5-1 If I can ever get a hold of them.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

I think I might need a new steering rack...does anyone know if other legacy's are the same as turbos? I have a 91...Are ours interchangeable with imprezas and later legacies and such? My mechanic probably has used ones...he would sell me one I could put on myself...I hope this isn't going to kill my finances.
Thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Im using a 97 Legacy GT rack in my 90.

I dont see that any of the racks are externally different even up to current models. Internal changes have been made though. Right now the stearing in the car with the said swap is pretty firm (lower than normal assist) that makes the car real nice to drive. Not as bad as removing the pump but not over assisted like the stock setup.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

other suggestion would be polyurathane bushings for the rack.

Ciper, how'd you lower the power steering assist?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I loved the minimal assist on my old '97 Legacy GT! I didn't know that it was the rack that was responsible for it though... I've been having idle thoughts of trying to machine a pulley for my power steering pump that was larger than stock in order to reduce the assist, but I don't even know if that would really work.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

interesting....so the rack is what causes the minimal assit. Wonder if it's a combination of the 97 rack and 90 pump?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No, the 1997 GT stock has a very nice steering feel with much less assist than the BC/BFs.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

My swap was totally by accident. I wasnt sure if the reduced assist was:

Bad used rack
Failing pump
90 pump and 97 rack incompatibility
Reduced assist in 97 rack

Or what I have leaned towards is a combination of the last two. I really like the feeling. Enough assist for low speed turns (parking) but Excellent feel!

The reason I did the swap was to fix the "underhood torque bind" I had (you guys remember that thread?). My stearing would shudder at low speeds sometimes. Someone had a used rack for sale cheap and I said what the hell, if it doesnt fit Ill just resell it.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Being used to the '84 GLs I owned with manual steering, I was really disappointed with my Legacy when I bought it (I was looking for another '84, but any left around here are as rotted as mine were). Once I upgraded to 195 width tires and transferred the small diam Grant steering wheel I had on my GL, the car was much better as far as weight in feel, though still a little too much for my liking. Then I went through several feet of standing water to show off to some wussies in SUVs which refused to cross a flooded street. A year later I had to replace the rack from water that had gotten past the boots... Anyway, whatever rack my mechanic put in fixed the over-assist completely. It was worth the $600 as it now feels like my old manuals with the tires properly inflated.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

How hard is a steering rack to replace? I have all the factory manuals and a hanes book...but I am a kinda inexperienced mechanic. I've done brakes a few times (and replaced calipers), sparkplugs and wires, batteries, all fluids and filters, installed intakes, lots of body panels...axle backs...I think I am going to save myself a lot of money if I can do this by myself and get used parts...and I need it for other things. What kind of prices do people think they go for? And are the bushings compatible between models at all? Cause I might as well do the bushings if I'm under their, right?
THanks
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My rack was about $300, the rest was labor for my mechanic. If you've got a garage, you could probably do it, but having a lift would make it a hundred times easier. I paid to have it done because I think they built the car around the rack. You have to drop the lower crossmembers and everything (or pull the motor, I suppose) to get it out.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

My rack is weeping. But just the labor is 8-10 hours or something ridiculous. So I'll just keep filling the power steering resevoir up occasionally.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Replacing the rack is easy! The part that sucks is that you need an alignment after, and that the exhaust nuts are usually rusted.

I think I got my used rack for 45$?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is that the 97 GT rack you got ciper?

What's the procedure in changing the rack?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Yeah, it was from someone on Nasioc.

The simple steps to replace are (I may forget something)
Unscrew tie rod ends from tie rod (no need to remove from spindle)
You may be able to get it out without removing the exhaust.
Remove header to engine head nuts
Remove rubber trannsmission to exhaust hanger (this will let the exhaust hang)
Remove jack plate
Remove power stearing lines (from above, fluid will leak out)
Remove lower universal joint bolt on stearing column
Remove stearing rack mounting (the bushings are under this)
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

You make it sound really easy ciper. Now time to try and find a new used rack.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Help! I found a good deal on a STI impreza wrx steering rack...I'm figure I'm safe assuming that it won't be any (or significantly at least) slower than my legacy turbo one...but I need to know if it will just swap in no problems...I think so, but thats a guess. Anyone know for sure?
thanks
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)