Heater/Defroster doesnt work...

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Heater/Defroster doesnt work...

Post by Redlined »

Ok. The lights on the buttons to select heater/defrost/high low, etc work, and when I click on the AC the engine bogs. but no fan, no air movement at all at any setting.

Is there an easy way to determine if its the Blower motor that is bad, or the switch. wich is "Most likely" the problem (read wich had the most common breakage)?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Post by def09 »

Check fuses first. Have any of the fan speeds worked prior? Or has it always not worked? The blower motor resistor should be checked first. The most used fan speed(s) fail first. Once it is out you can see if it is bad. Or just test for 12V to any one of the blower motor pins. If there is no 12V apply 12V to it. It will quickly fire up full blast if good. Assuming you dont have a mouse nest in the heater box. Look into the switch last see if its plugged in...etc. Thats a start.
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Heater motor

Post by Redlined »

Fan hasnt worked since I bought the car (Just got it not long ago). Blower motor resistor.... I assume this is going to require removing the blower motor... yes?

this payday Im going to break down and buy a chilton manual. I hate not having a clue.
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Heater motor

Post by Legacy777 »

Redlined wrote:Fan hasnt worked since I bought the car (Just got it not long ago). Blower motor resistor.... I assume this is going to require removing the blower motor... yes?

this payday Im going to break down and buy a chilton manual. I hate not having a clue.
Nope, just remove the glove box, and it's right there.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
musketeerracing
First Gear

Post by musketeerracing »

I'm just gonna guess: search "heater blower relay" here for your 80% probable problem.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

if its the switch on the blower motor it will only work on high. Only postions 1, 2 and 3 go to the switch, 4 goes directly to blower.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.