wrx coolant tank

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jjewell
In Neutral

wrx coolant tank

Post by jjewell »

does anyone have any info for swaping out the coolant resvoir tank with the metal wrx one? i have a wrx tank on it's way and just wanted to get a head start.
03 350z
87 300zx turbo
91 ss legacy
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I moved my battery to the trunk and built a custom bracket.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
jjewell
In Neutral

Post by jjewell »

i not sure we are talking about the same part . its the tank on the turbo cars with the radiator cap built in.
03 350z
87 300zx turbo
91 ss legacy
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

That's the part. Mine is where the A/C compressor used to be but I still have the stock one.
Just find a good spot that is above the turbo, I don't know if it will fit near the stock location.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

-K- It will not fit in the stock location.

I moved my battery to the trunk and relocated the tank to where the battery was, using a custom bracket.

The coolant tank doesn't need to be the highest point. Mine isn't. But going that route, you give up the gravity syphon effect designed into the stock system.

I combated this by using a turbotimer to keep the water pump on, and keep coolant circulating for a little while longer.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

what do you do about bleeding the system?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I removed my windshield wash tank and made a simple metal plate the bolts the tank right next to the fuse box.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Where did you relocate your windshield washer reservoir to?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

I didn't but I have seen people relocate it in the trunk. All you have to do is run wires and a hose to the trunk and it will work. There are aready two threaded bolt holes from the wash tank so I just made a steel brace that exstended out with some bolts and it took maybe 30 minutes.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

irishsetter wrote:I didn't but I have seen people relocate it in the trunk. All you have to do is run wires and a hose to the trunk and it will work. There are aready two threaded bolt holes from the wash tank so I just made a steel brace that exstended out with some bolts and it took maybe 30 minutes.
putting the washer tank int the trunk is a pretty good idea. i would much rather have that in the trunk than a battery.

is it high enough there?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

It just needs to be above the turbo.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

mount it?!

Actually mines waiting for me to do the battery relo. Maybe this tuesday?
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

kidwired wrote:mount it?!

Actually mines waiting for me to do the battery relo. Maybe this tuesday?
you are driving around like that? any problems? im thinking that moving the washer fluid tank to the trunk is kind of cool. but i am exploring some other locations too. like the pass. side of the engine bay by the airbox.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

lol, for the time being. I'm relocating battery to the trunk. I like the idea of the RS location.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

kidwired wrote:lol, for the time being. I'm relocating battery to the trunk. I like the idea of the RS location.
i wasnt teasing. what you did is a option i am considering.

could you see any way of fabbing a bracket up to fit the wrx tank in the location you have it in.

i find it to be very funny how the POS plastic tank costs over 20 dollars more then the better built metal tank. supply and demand at its finest i guess.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

greg donovan wrote: could you see any way of fabbing a bracket up to fit the wrx tank in the location you have it in.
http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... highlight=

My post has a picture of the bracket I made to mount the WRX tank in the stock location.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

mikec wrote:
greg donovan wrote: could you see any way of fabbing a bracket up to fit the wrx tank in the location you have it in.
http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... highlight=

My post has a picture of the bracket I made to mount the WRX tank in the stock location.
some reason i spaced out rotating it 180 deg. looks very easy to get in there that way. thanks.

however, i think that it might get in the way of a V2 WRX TMIC.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Yeah, I think it's going to get in the way when I mount my AWIC. I'm gonna look at other mounting options this week.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

I installed the WRX coolant tank on my car. I was able to fabricate 1 bracket and place the tank in-between the ABS module and the power steering reservoir without any issues. The link below has a pic of it; unfortunately it's not a close-up.

http://www.torontolegacys.com/members/Freddex/03.jpg
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

FreddexTurbo2Go wrote:I installed the WRX coolant tank on my car. I was able to fabricate 1 bracket and place the tank in-between the ABS module and the power steering reservoir without any issues. The link below has a pic of it; unfortunately it's not a close-up.

regarding routing the lines,

is it necesary for the line going over the resonator delete and across the TMIC to be mounted that way, or can it be a more direct route to/from the turbo?

i ask because i dont have a TMIC and will more than likely be using a V2 or a SAAB unit.

looks good. how solid is it there?

have you considered adding a second bracket coming off of the intake manifold to mount the other hole to?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

greg donovan wrote:
FreddexTurbo2Go wrote:I installed the WRX coolant tank on my car. I was able to fabricate 1 bracket and place the tank in-between the ABS module and the power steering reservoir without any issues. The link below has a pic of it; unfortunately it's not a close-up.

regarding routing the lines,

is it necesary for the line going over the resonator delete and across the TMIC to be mounted that way, or can it be a more direct route to/from the turbo?

i ask because i dont have a TMIC and will more than likely be using a V2 or a SAAB unit.

looks good. how solid is it there?

have you considered adding a second bracket coming off of the intake manifold to mount the other hole to?
I found it necessary to route it over the resonator as the angle seemed to sharp for my liking to go under it. But it MAY be possible. You definitely don't have to run the line across the TMIC though. I actually want to rerun that line and put it under the intercooler but haven't had the time. There is plenty of room to run it that way. It would more efficient for the IC too as hot coolant shouldn't be so close to the IC. It is very solid! No second bracket needed. That would also make it harder to maneover when you need to get at the intake. Plus the 3 coolant lines help keep it in place. I have had this setup for almost 2 years with no problems.

Of note: I used the "S" shaped hose that comes with the WRX tank to turn the coolant line from the turbo back across the engine bay towards it's new location.
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

i have my WRX coolant tank inbetween the airbox and the intake manifold. right now its held on by zip ties untill i can find somebody to make a bracket. it works pretty good for the ghettoness of it. i want to re-route that hose that goes over the top of the intake manifold and put it under, but i havent had any time to do it.
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

jake15, that is the cleanest engine bay i have ever seen.

here is my dirty one.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

thanks!! i'm kind of a neat freak so when i had the engine bay all stripped i buffed/waxed it :lol:
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!