Audi S4 Intercooler

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Warp3
First Gear

Audi S4 Intercooler

Post by Warp3 »

Well, since I haven't seen mention in these forums of an Audi S4 intercooler yet (though I've heard mention of other Audi/VW ICs), I thought I'd note that the item below is currently out for delivery via FedEx and will be finding its way under the hood of my 91 SS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 7973863483

The core volume is just slightly larger than that of the Saab 900 IC (by about 1cu), and I think it will work well due to the dimensions, though it will obviously require some custom piping to reach the throttle body. In fact, if my measurements are correct, this should fit without having to remove the coolant tank and should be centered to the hood scoop! :D

FYI: This is a side mount intercooler from a 2001 Audi S4 2.7T which comes with two side mount intercoolers from the factory (with similar cores, but very different end tanks, and not just mirrored like many other twin SMIC cars).

I'll keep you guys updated on how everything works out and will make sure to get some pics as well. :D
Last edited by Warp3 on Wed May 25, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Wow, I can't believe how much it looks liek a Saab 900 I/C. I wonder if the same company makes them.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Well, it's here and holy crap is it small (at least compared to the WRX TMIC I have in the shed outside anyway). :lol: It looks like a great fit for the engine bay, though, and I'm even more certain after physically sitting it in the engine bay that I shouldn't have to relocate anything (most notably the coolant tank) for it to work! :D

The inlet on the endtank that will go on the passenger side terminates maybe an inch or two (at most) from the compressor outlet and the IC outlet on the driver's side should sit very neatly atop the hoses in that area and shouldn't be difficult to route to the throttle body. I'm pondering hacking the stock turbo to throttle body pipe in half (reusing the throttle body half) and rotating it 180-degrees to give me my initial 90-degree turn off the throttle body (along with the necessary bypass valve plumbing already installed...hehe) and I should only need another like 45-90 degree angle (depending on how the first 90-degree gets angled) and one or two really short straight sections to complete the run to the IC outlet.

Well, anyway, enough rambling for now. New details will be posted as they develop. :)
legacy92ej22t wrote:Wow, I can't believe how much it looks liek a Saab 900 I/C. I wonder if the same company makes them.
I see what you mean...they do look kinda similar. FYI: The intercooler says "Valeo" in several spots on it (both on the sticker that has the Audi logo and molded into the endtanks) and the sticker says "Made in Sweden" on it.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I may have to see that once you get it in.

You can see my Saab setup once I get it in, too.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I hacked that plastic piece when i first started running the 16G. You shouldn't have any problem making it work.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I am keeping my stock piece unhacked, so I can set everything to stock if I need to.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I've got a spare one.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

dzx wrote:I hacked that plastic piece when i first started running the 16G. You shouldn't have any problem making it work.
That reminds me...I forgot to mention that I am running a TD05H-16G on this car (with the compressor outlet rotated to match the stock orientation), so keep that in mind when I mention fitment in this thread. :D
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You know why it's so small? Because Audi uses two of them placed in the front fenderwells. My uncle's 2.7T is setup this way....I assume the S4 is the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Legacy777 wrote:You know why it's so small? Because Audi uses two of them placed in the front fenderwells. My uncle's 2.7T is setup this way....I assume the S4 is the same.
Yeah, I know (actually I even mentioned it in the next to last paragraph of my initial post ;) ). I was also considering the 300ZX TT intercoolers previously (which are also twin sidemounts) but it looks like the Audi IC will be a much easier fit.

Still, when you finally look at it in person for the first time, it suddenly hits you just how small it is. (Of course, then you go look in the engine bay and start thinking it may still be a tight fit anyway... :lol: )

I realize I'm not going for maximum power out of this thing, but for now it should serve my needs quite well. Once I need something bigger, I'm thinking along the lines of the Forester 2.5XT intercooler (if I can get ahold of one as they aren't as easy to get as the WRX ones are).
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Or go FMIC, like I plan to eventually......

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:Or go FMIC, like I plan to eventually......
I thought of that, but then I looked closer at the front bumper area the other day. There is literally no room in there, so a lot of cutting and modifying would be needed to fit even relatively small FMICs. :(
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

It doesn't take that much work to put in a FMIC, several of the guys here run one.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

I did some quick test fitting today (and took some more measurements).

First, the IC fits great in the engine bay, and I'm even more convinced that this IC will work very well in the alotted space. The IC inlet is mere inches from the compressor outlet, and needs only about a 60-degree elbow (of different diameters on each end, unfortunately) to connect it. The IC outlet to throttle body connection is a bit more involved, but still shouldn't be overly difficult.

Unfortunately, I cannot reuse the stock 90-degree turn off the throttle body as I'd hoped (since the bypass valve is already plumbed into it) as it shoots out too far from the throttle body before turning and thus making it too tall to fit both it and the IC between the throttle body and firewall. Also, since the bypass valve is plumbed into the curve itself and not the straight section, I can't really just hack that part out and use it as the straight section either, so I'll have to figure something out for the bypass valve now.

My goal is to get this thing installed before the weekend is out (fortunately our clients are closed on Monday for Memorial Day) and as long as I can figure out how to plumb the bypass valve in, that goal should be attainable.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2