Best clutch for hard driving

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Best clutch for hard driving

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

What would anyone suggest for a good street/strip clutch?
I have already burned out one stock clutch in my 92 SS, and that really pissed me off.
I just recently pulled my seized engine in order to drop my new engine in, and upon looking at my clutch disc/flywheel, the disc is shiny on the outside and the flywheel is full of pressure cracks.
I must admit, I'm not one to baby this car, seeing as it is so fun to drive.
The clutch I put in must be able to withstand light track duty as well, and I do not want to run my stock clutch any more, as it only has 1000 kilometres on it and it is beginning to wear badly.
Has anyone else experienced this?
What is a good clutch for a decent price?
92 SS--up and running finally!!
(edited for Jason Grahns pleasure)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

People run s few different ones and you can upgrade to WRX units if you get the flywheel form one. There should be plenty if you search.

What happened when you say the old engine seized? Is it rebuildable? Where are you located?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

I had 2 clutch already on my 92 Turbo. The first one is CenterForce dualfiction, it let go after 80000Km , I use this car for TSD rally, Rally-X and one track race only, normal daily drive to work and shopping, paddle feels sporty and good respond. I also lighted the flywheele from Stock flywheel with this clutch.

Now I am using the ACT clutch with a new stock flywheel and new slave cylinder too. I was able to get the exidy clutch, but at the time I go order it have to takes about 3 weeks for the back order. so I took the ACT.
Both ACT and CenterForce are cost around $1200 for a set with out the flywheele.

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'd like to go to a twin plate after this clutch, but I can't see myself spending 1k on a clutch if I'm not making 400wheel.

I'm running an Exedy Stage1 with a LW Flywheel.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

will the wrx clutch hold up to some abuse?
I've heard nothing but good things about the exedy stage 1.
This is really going to kill me, I just paid $600 for my stock clutch, and it's not completely worn yet. I just really don't want to have to do the clutch so soon after I drop my new engine in.

In response to what happened to the old engine, about 2 months ago my oil seal blew and leaked all over the gravel, and I made the stupid mistake of driving to town(I live on an acreage). By the time I heard the grinding it was too late. SEIZED

So I have an ej22t longblock on the way from B.C. any day now.
cost me $2400 canadian!!

Bottom line, are there any options under $500 canadian that will work for me here?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I just installed a stage 1 SPEC clutch kit and so far so good.

The WRX kit runs around $350 USD and you need a WRX flywheel, or you can get the Legacy SS specific one for around $450 USD and keep the OEM flywheel.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/S ... lutch_Kits

http://www.subarustore.com

I just got an ACT 13.9lb WRX flywheel and ACT organic clutch with HD pressure plate (and kit) for $650 total including shipping.

When I got the car I dropped a little over $1k to have the clutch replaced (and the guy promised to lighten and balance the flywheel too) but I had to bring the car back so many times before he actually replaced the clutch. And I discover now, he put in a used clutch (it only lasted a little over a year and a half with normal driving, and I do not wear clutches out fast). So, I'm doing it myself this time, and am quite happy to get away with a performance solution for that much...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Damn, $650 seems like a big chunk of change to drop.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Alright I can get away with using my stock pressure plate and other components for right now, its just that my flywheel is cracked all the way through. Can I use a wrx flywheel with my stock clutch?
Also, I have the option to get a centerforce dual friction for $600 CDN or an exedy stage 2 for $700 CDN
Which would you reccomend?
the exedy comes with the 25.2lb flywheel as well, so I might get it just for the deal.
Would anyone advise against lightening my flywheel since my car is awd? I heard this can lead to broken cv joints and differentials and such.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I love the 13.9 lb ACT flywheel... much better than the stock 30 pounder. Feels fine to me.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

did you notice any gains with the lightweight flywheel?
and also, can I use the wrx flywheel and my stock clutch, or do I have to replace the clutch and the flywheel to use the wrx?
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

the WRX flywheel/clutch have 3mm of extra contact surface diameter. So you have to get a WRX flywheel if you want to use a WRX clutch. And some places cross-reference Legacy clutches with WRX clutches, so you can't always just trust that a Legacy clutch is really a direct replacement without changing the flywheel.

With the lightweight flywheel, my car seems to pull harder at a lower boost than before. The ol' butt dyno is happy, I'll tell you that much. Can't wait until I feel confident enough to take it to the strip and see how she drags.

Once you hold both the stock flywheel and a lightened model in your hands and realize how freakin heavy 30 lbs is for a flywheel...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

I take it your car is awd?
Yea really all I'm looking to do is satisfy the butt dyno lol :lol:
I have a stock flywheel on order right now though, and I'm going to wait until my clutch lets go befor replacing it with an exedy cerametallic 4 puck. Of course by this time I will be running a 16g with intercooler.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Yes, my Leggy is AWD... I wanted a ceramic-based clutch but could not find one in a solid disc shape. Had to go with an organic clutch. Puck-shaped clutches engage quite harshly for an AWD drivetrain... the guy I spoke to on the phone at the Subaru Store heavily recommended against them, seen too many WRXs tear themselves up that way.

The ACT organic clutch with heavy-duty pressure plate engages QUICK. I don't want to feel what a puck clutch does to this car :)

I also hope to be running a 16g or 18g sometime soon... this little vf11 hybrid isn't doin as much as I want it to...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Have you done any launches over 6000rpm on the organic clutch?
Im curious as to how much quicker it engages comapred to stock. This is what's really killing my stock units, my launches.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Why the Funk & Wagnalls are you launching at 6000RPM in an AWD vehicle?

Mine launches fine at 2500-3000 when I really want to take off quick. The turbo spools right up....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

well here's one reason....I'm quite inexperienced with awd vehicles lol.
Truth be told, I mostly ride atv's and motorcycles in competition, but decided to take a break from that and take up track driving.

So really at 3500rpm my car will launch better that revving it out?
My car lags quite a bit on my launches.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Well, I'm not sure if the resulting time will be faster or not but it sure as hell will be easier on your driveline.

I find that launching around 3000-3500 rpm works quite nicely, especially if you feather the clutch just that little bit when you start to get the car moving and then drop the hammer. I think thats the key, gotta have the car NOT at a dead stop when you let go completely. That way, the wheels don't try to break loose and the tranny doesn't have to absorb those forces when it discovers that it has a bit of trouble breaking the tires loose :)

Not sure if I explained that correctly but hey it's early.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock