what can be used transmission wise for replacing an EJ22T 4e

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

what can be used transmission wise for replacing an EJ22T 4e

Post by stant093 »

So i took my first test run in the SS yesterday, im very very happy with how she came out, however, im not as comfortable with an auto as i am with a 5spd, i simply dont feel as i have as much control on the drive train as i do with a standard.

Seeing as how its virtually impossible to find a standard turbo tranny in the northeastern woods of vermont, what else will work as a replacement? has anyone had any luck popping in a N/A 5mt?

Sam
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

anyone???
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You should be able to install a non-turbo 5-speed the same way you'd install it on a non-turbo car.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

So its that simple a Non turbo tranny will simply bolt right up to a EJ22T? why does everyone pay out theyre ass for a turbo tranny?

Is it that simple?

Thanks Vikash ;)
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

So its that simple a Non turbo tranny will simply bolt right up to a EJ22T? why does everyone pay out theyre ass for a turbo tranny?
Because the gears are stronger, and it uses a hydraulic clutch rather than a cable one. Also with the proper flywheel you can use a wrx performance clutch. :D
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, what Michael said. You also might have to worry about the final drive ratios matching up.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

hmm....well i have a 5spd AWD 5mt with matching rear end sitting in a car at the moment and would love to have a 5mt in my SS, how drastically does it decrease the life of the N/A tranny vs the turbo tranny...has anyoen tried it??

The tranny and rear end are in a 94 GT wagon and *might* be going in my 94SS....any increased strength in the GT tranny vs a L model or is that only body style that they refer to as being GT?
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'd advise getting an 2.5 RS tranny, as long as you can also get a 4.111 rear diff along with it.

My brother and I swapped his 92 SS from an auto to a manual, and it is working great. he did get a sport clutch, though.

I know Josh has done the conversion of an auto to a manual, but he used the turbo tranny. There are also several that have swapped over to the 2.5 RS tranny with the 4.111 gears. It will change the feel of the car quite a bit. The faster gear ratio gives the car more of a linear feel in terms of acceleration with the stock turbo. It feels more like a fast N/A, but when you drive a 3.90 geared turbo car to compare, there is no contest in deciding which one definately feels faster.

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The GT transmission is the same as the other NAs.

I think if you drive with mechanical sympathy you'll be fine. You'll want to get an uprated clutch, though.