nissan 300zx turbo, will it fit, is it larger?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

nissan 300zx turbo, will it fit, is it larger?

Post by stant093 »

I have access to a very nice nissan 300zx turbo, very tight turbo, been in storage for about 6 years now....i might pick this up if its worth it, i know this is a suby forum and all, but has anyone any information on these turbo's? are they larger than our turbos on the ss's??

Thanks guys!
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Is it the Z31 or the TT turbo? The TT is gonna be pretty worthless.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

tt? you mean the twin turbo? if so no its a single turbo, and its just the trubo, already pulled sitting in a box....
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Is it from a TT ZX? If so, it's going to be fairly small.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

ill have to inquire about that...its about a 3" inlet....but ill try to do some measuring and see what i come up with...it came out of a 84 or 82 300zx, so its an old school turbo...
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

it wont bolt on. but it will go on with enough effort and at that point a even bigger turbo would be more worth the same effort
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Wait...

You are REALLY considering installing a turbo that is 21 years old, that hasn't seen fresh oil in the past 6 years, and expect it to perform better than your stock turbo?

Go for it. I'll buy your stock turbo.

Then I'll sell it back to you for profit once you realize how much time and money you wasted trying to install an anceint turbo.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

BAC5.2 wrote:Wait...

You are REALLY considering installing a turbo that is 21 years old, that hasn't seen fresh oil in the past 6 years, and expect it to perform better than your stock turbo?

Go for it. I'll buy your stock turbo.

Then I'll sell it back to you for profit once you realize how much time and money you wasted trying to install an anceint turbo.
Hence me asking "is it worth it" here...
This turbo is in brand new condition, otherwise i would not even give it two thoughts...
Thanks for the peanut gallery input though ;)
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I would say it's not worth it. But that's just me.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
gt350
In Neutral

Post by gt350 »

If you feel like going through the trouble of converting to a garrett turbo I feel like it is somewhat worth it. the turbo is a t3 60trim(very close in size to a 16g) and once you get the car setup for a garrett turbo. you open your options to turbo's.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why do that, when you could save yourself hassle and get a 16g?

If you never intend on going to a garrett setup, then why spend the extensive time, money, and effort to do so, when greater yields can be had with a bolt-on turbo?

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Perhaps it would turn out to be cheaper than a 16g? Who's to say he's not going to get this for $50, or a case of beer or something? That would be worth it to me, if with a little work one could get similar results, have a much wider selection of upgrades, and end up with some change to spare.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Let's do a quick rundown...

Custom uppipe. Custom downpipe. Potentially a custom turbo-back exhaust (due to next requirement).

Custom manifold, or custom rotated mount setup. The 3" inlet sure as hell isn't gonna fit under the intake runners of our stock manifold, and a 90 degree inlet is gonna all but choke the intake side of the turbo (again, there's barely room for stock or a 16g).

Also, a case of acceptable trade-for-goods beer runs between 25 and 30 bucks. I doubt your gonna be able to get all of the custom fabbing done for less than an additional 400 bucks, do you?

If you have the ability to do it all yourself, then sure, go for it. But otherwise, your looking to spend a lot of time, effort, and money to convert. It'd be cool, no doubt, but is it really worth it?

Do you plan on going to a monster T3/T4 or something similar? If not, is it worth it to you to spend lots of money for a lesser turbo than a bolt-on option? Not to mention, a lesser turbo that's 21 years old. Even if it had 1000 miles on it, the seals are still 6 years old with no use, you said so yourself.

If it was a currently running turbo, or a new turbo, then sure it'd be worth it. But your looking at a turbo of questionable integrity, and a setup that will almost assuredly cost a packet to configure.

Just think about all outcomes before you jump on the turbo. If it was free, it's not gonna do you any good if the seals are shot or you need to spend a grip to get everything so you can use it.

Just think about it.

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

You realize that since you have to have a custom up and downpipe it would be retarded NOT to do a rotated turbo right?

Just how much do you think it would cost to have an uppipe and downpipe made? The turboback is trivial as you should have this with a 16g aswell.

You should RE-note that he said
This turbo is in brand new condition, otherwise i would not even give it two thoughts...
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

That's fine, but it SAT for 6 years. No seals being lubricated, just being allowed to rot and dry. Who knows what will happen when it's on a car and spun up for the first time in 6 years.

You also need to note, a custom downpipe for a rotated mount is expensive. It would also be a good consideration to go to an external wastegate to simplify the downpipe making process. That involves more custom work, and more money. You could stick with the internal gate on the turbo, but you'd then be limited in the garett turbos you could run, or the ultimate power you could actually obtain.

I was quoted at 600 bucks for a custom turbo back using a bellmouth downpipe and 3" mandrel all the way out. You could tack 75 to 100 bucks onto that to take into consideration the rotated mount.

For the uppipe, you need a custom flange and bracket, so even if you used the existing uppipe, you'd have to have a flange cut out of either flat steel, or try to source the flange from the aftermarket or somewhere else. Then weld it, fabricate a bracket, then adjust everything in the intake path to work. You'd also have to set up the dump for the external wastegate.

And you can either figure out a TMIC solution, or you can go directly to front mount for simplified pipe routing. More money, more time, more fabrication.

That leaves out the problems of coolant and oil setup, you'd have to get custom oil hardlines bent or convert to a stainless oil line setup. That'll add a few extra dollars to the setup.

Cost Effectiveness + Garrett + Subaru never go hand-in-hand. I would estimate the cost to convert to a garett turbo with a rotated mount to be somewhere between $500 to $1000, depending on where you source your parts from. You could probably buy a used, complete setup for around 600 bucks, but you'd still have to tweak and tune things.

IF you can do the conversion for cheap, GO FOR IT. I highly doubt you'd be able to do the swap for less than the cost of even a NEW 16g. If you can weld and fabricate everything yourself, you could do it for cheap. If you can't, you might want to reconsider your options.

stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

The fabrication end is not a worry, i know how to weld and can get all the steel and tubes i need from a friend for next to nothing...however im wondeing more along the lines of is this turbo larger/faster/better? and what would i possibally gain, please lets stop the "its a waste of time" posts, my time is my time to waste however i want to waste it.

Spec wise is what im curious of....
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Then that's been covered. It's slightly smaller than a 16g.

You asked if it was worth it, and due to the turbos age, I am still behind my original stance that it's not worth it.

stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

BAC5.2 wrote:Then that's been covered. It's slightly smaller than a 16g.

You asked if it was worth it, and due to the turbos age, I am still behind my original stance that it's not worth it.

So a SS legacy runs a 16g turbo?

I appreciate your opinion, definatly, and will be checking the stuff already posted if i do decide to go through this....
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

No, the SS, stock, runs a VF11. The 16g is from the early WRX, and it's a big mamma.

I put down the numbers in my signature with a 16g.

gt350
In Neutral

Post by gt350 »

the t3 60 trim flows 34lb's/min of air which is about 490cfm a 16g flows 510cfm. the compressor wheels are almost identical in both size and design, but the comp housing is more efficient on the 16g. the td05h turbine wheel is larger than the t3 turbine wheel. if your turbo has a .63 a/r housing I think it would run neck and neck with a 16g. the problem with most MHI(mitsubishi heavy industries, who makes the 16g)turbos is that they have very small turbine housing usually 6cm or 7cm which are both smaller than a .63a/r which is close to a 9cm housing in size. like stated earlier having someone fab it up for you will be expensive but if your capable of fabbing it up your self I don't see where it would cost more than $200 in materials. BAC5.2
That's fine, but it SAT for 6 years. No seals being lubricated, just being allowed to rot and dry. Who knows what will happen when it's on a car and spun up for the first time in 6 years.
how would alloy piston rings rot and dry? garrets only have 1 rubber seal and its between the backing plate and chra. I don't think that setting a long time would damage any of the seals. and if the seals are bad he could rebuild it him self for $10-100 I can get rebuild materials for less than $10 but I used to work at a turbo rebuild shop and still get stuff at cost. I plan on putting a t3 60trim on the car I plan on purchasing(93 SS) due to the fact I have one laying around and I'm capable of fabbing everything up myself.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Would fabbing up to fit this turbo open up all Garretts as an option for him? 'Cause later down the road ...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gt350
In Neutral

Post by gt350 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Would fabbing up to fit this turbo open up all Garretts as an option for him? 'Cause later down the road ...

Steve
not all garrets only t3 based turbos. wether it be straigt t3's, t3/t4's, all the way up to the big daddy t3/t67 which will support over 700hp.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'm just saying, I'd never even consider putting a 21 year old turbo that hasn't spun or been lubricated in 6 years. There hasn't been oil against anything in 6 years. Aluminum can still corrode, remember that.

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Let's forget all that for now. How about, if somoene is willing to do the work and fabricate custom pieces for a Garret T3-based turbo Legacy conversion, let's be interested enough to discuss the process, provide input from the vast experience we have here on the board as a collective, and get some photos of that sumbitch up here as its being worked on.

I may not end up doing the same thing, but every time someone brings up a project that could potentially open up new possibilities to Legacy owners - and it hasn't been done yet, I think we should be a bit more open to assist if it is established that someone wants to do something custom.

Garret has a lot of turbos available... and it'd be interesting to see how the performance numbers compare between a Legacy with a 16g and one with a T3 .60 trim since they're so closely matched.

Although, I have to admit, I would definately rebuild a turbo that had been sitting that long before trying to use it. But that's just a given... isn't it?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

wow, i haven't posted in a while. If your looking at getting a bigger turbo, i'd go with a deadbolt 18G turbo. I kicked myself for not getting one. As for it being too big for the engine, they are not. Superupair is going to be running their shop car this weekend at bandimere with the stock 2.0l engine, heads, and a switzer or however you spell it turbo. The turbo is bigger than a garrett gt30R. The only thing they really did to the engine was add another 4 injectors and an ecutec to tune it. Fuel pump is a walbro 255lph unit. They're hoping for 11's as the car doesnt have a cage in it so they would be disqualified for anything faster than 11.7 i believe. I'll probably be down there watching it and easystreet's car.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out