Flanges

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Flanges

Post by legacy92ej22t »

does anyone know where to look up info that explaines the different flanges,applications and how to tell what turbo has what flange?also would like to know,will all ihi turbos fit our cars?Is ihi the flange type or company?any help would be great,I'm getting a little confused out in turbo land
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

anyone?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

IHI is a turbo manufacturer like KKK, Garrett, Mitsubishi, etc. I assume they all have proprietary flanges, but I don't know for sure.

I've always driven N/A and felt a turbo outside of a race car was just a crutch for an anemic engine (Grand National excepted). I've changed my tune in the last few years, however, so now I've very few car prejudices (still don't like Korean cars).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

There are more flanges for a make of car than a make of turbo. Garrett flange pattern is the only one that is turbo brand named that I know of. For your car it is a Subaru pattern. So you are looking for the new (91 up) Subaru pattern. You will find Mitsu turbos that are made for our cars but Mitsu cars have thier own pattern so you can't get a turbo off one. You will find IHI's with the Garrett pattern on some Fords. You just need to search for "turbo flange" ect. on the net, they might have pic's of different flanges. If you are looking for a turbo for your car you need one off of or made for a 91-04 Subaru.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you have a turbo that will fit your car and can find a similar family turbo that is larger you can sometimes just swap the "cartridge" and retain the old inlet and outlet.

I just recently found a site that sells "blank" flanges so that you can create your own exhaust components. Ill try to find that again, maybe you can use it to create an adapter for whatever turbo you find.

edit: http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/produc ... flange.htm