TD04 swap preliminary report + ?(finished)

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Binford
Third Gear

TD04 swap preliminary report + ?(finished)

Post by Binford »

I started swapping my turbo for a WRX turbo and intercooler tonight. It looks like it won't be as easy as I thought it would be, but it doesn't look that hard, either. Pics can be seen here:

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/album99

I'll have to cut and extend the y-hose and re-route the EGR hoses. Can anyone tell me if I would be all right if I put a plug in the intake manifold and eliminate the line beside the coil pack in pic #3?
Last edited by Binford on Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

90-94 Legacys don't have an EGR system. What line do you mean?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I'm actually referring to the crankcase vents, sorry. The line in particular I'm questioning is the one right next to the coil plug in pic #3.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

The PCV valve?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I don't even know where the actual pvc valve is on this car, but I'm pretty sure the valve isn't inside this hose! It runs from the intake manifold to the plastic "tree" that goes to the intake "box"(not the air box) that gets replaced during the "coffee mug mod" I don't see a purpose for this hose, really. I hope I'm not making it too complicated by the way I described it. Do you see the hose attached to the manifold right above the molex plug for the coil? That's it.
Matsumoto
In Neutral

Post by Matsumoto »

The valve is screwed into the manifold at that spot. That's what the hose is attached to. I don't think plugging it is a good idea. The PCV system would not function correctly and it would probably run like crap, if at all.
93 Legacy SS
05 WRX
(\_/)
(>.o)
(b <)
~~~
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I see. I didn't realize the valve was there. Thanks.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Plug it. The manifold, take off the tree fitting and run one breather.
My old car needed the same work as yours to fit the turbo/AWIC. It runs fine as long as you leave some place for it to go. I think I routed all the breathers to before the turbo. If I did it again I'd run them all into a catch can.
You can ask Nick (the new owner of the car) how it runs!
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Hi
I have a Perrin " Y " silicon hose that goes from a WRX turbo to
the top-mounted intercooler, as well as the stock intercooler.
Had a custom installation on a front- mounted IC instead.
Both are for sale.
bobhoye@shaw.ca
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Bob Hoye-Just a heads up but you should start a new thread in the "parts shed" if you want to sell something, not post it in a thread that has nothing to do with your parts. ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Ya, I myself already have all the parts I need for this project, minus a few little things I need to pick up tommorrow.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Updated the pics. I got side-tracked by repacing the water pump and timing belt. I also spent a night getting my Turbo New Yorker running and brake hose replaced. I had a custom intake pipe bent up today, but I'm having him bend up a new one out of 2.5" pipe instead of 2.25". Should be up and running tommorrow. :D
PeteGLH
In Neutral

=)

Post by PeteGLH »

:shock: Turbo New Yorker :shock: Awesome car even if it's a TD...TI, TII, 2.5 TI??
I miss those cars....

Keep us posted on the TD04 mods, I'm doing the same thing to my SS in a few weeks on my vacation ;)
- '91 Legacy SS 5MT (15,682 @ 86.47 @ 8 psi) Run with I/C, TD04 and 10 psi pending....
- '01 Toyota Corolla S (16,64 @ 84.34) Slow... but 30 mpg :)
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Now that the cops left, I can post. :D

I got it all together, check out my new pics.

I'm having some problems, though. It won't idle, and it stumbles as soon as it hits boost. I have a couple questions.

1) Is the igniter supposed to be grounded?

2) Is it OK that I have four seperate breathers? I have one on each valve cover, one under the turbo into the block, and one on top of the engine, seen in the pics. -K- said to run ONE breather, so I had to ask.

3) Does the MAP sensor hose plug into the intake? I don't remember where the line was plumbed. That is the MAP sensor on the stock boost controller, right?

That is all I can think of for it to run like this. I am open to other suggestions. Thanks! :)
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

The MAP sensor is tapped off the passenger side front intake runner.

I would run the crank and head vents into a catch can with a breather. The only problem with your setup is if you get a lot of oil from blowby all over the place, the number of vents doesn't matter as long as you don't build up pressure in the crank.

I don't think the igniter needs to be grounded but it's easy to bend the mounting bracket and bolt it out of the way above the clutch filler.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I re-ran the MAP sensor hose-no success. Another thing may be the fuel filter. I slapped some new fuel hose on without installing the fuel filter. I tried using a generic aftermarket one becuase it is smaller, but the nipples were too big, so I figured it would be all right to do a test run without one. Would this affect my fuel pressure? I'll reset the computer, and try again tonight.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Ok, I added breathers to hoses too hastily. The one on top of the engine needs to be hooked up to the intake, since it is not part of the PCV system, DUH! I temperarily spliced it in with the bypass hose since that was quick and easy. I'll weld on another nipple to my intake to seperate them. BUT, something's still not right. It idles and drives fine, but it is slow as hell and cannot feel boost AT ALL! Boost guage reads 9 psi, and I can hear the turbo, but it seems fluttery. I don't know if my quick fix is the cuase of this or what.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I reset my ECU and tightened up some hose clamps, and that seemed to help. It still read at 9 psi and was noticably slower than stock was at 11-12 psi. I installed my mbc and discovered I need a new one. :lol: There doesn't seem to be a sweet spot anymore, either it's wastegate pressure or running 16+ psi. I have it in a spot where it sometimes works, keeping boost aroud 11-12, but is not consistant. I'll be ordering a new one shortly. :D When it does stay in the 11-12 psi range, I like it alot. I drove it around for awhile and it seemed to learn around the improvements, as it kept feeling better and better. I'm still not sure on the fluttery noise it makes, though. :?
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

legacy92ej22t wrote:Bob Hoye-Just a heads up but you should start a new thread in the "parts shed" if you want to sell something, not post it in a thread that has nothing to do with your parts. ;)
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Bob
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

fluttery noises in a turbocharged car are usually not good... compressor surge? When do you hear it?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

The fluttering is from the bypass valve, when I shift or let off the gas. I don't know if it's normal or not, and I do have to re-route some lines yet, too.

I switched the boost controller around the other way, and it feels great! 11-12 psi in every gear, and it pulls very nicely. It's finally consistant, and I have some improvements to make yet. :D
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

what does it boost from 5500-redline?

I am looking for a bit more boost, as the VF11 runs from a max of 12/13psi (@3.5k or so) to 9/10psi at 6k+. I'd like 15 max and 12/13 at redline (without spending $7-800 on a 16g)

tdo4's are cheap cheap cheap
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Boost spikes to 13, then levels out to 11-12 psi all the way to redline. At least it does in second gear, I don't have enough time in first to watch it :lol: , and I haven't been up to the top of third yet.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I'm going to re-do some of this. I'll be getting a WRX coolant tank and mounting it on the passenger side, getting rid of the breathers on the valve covers, and some more pcv upgrades(back to factory setup!). All in all, I'm very pleased with this set-up. We'll see what 15psi and water injection feels like! :lol:
turboleg91
In Neutral

Post by turboleg91 »

The igniter dose need to be grounded, thats why it has those poky washers so it can scrap throught the paint and get a better ground. i did a wrx top mount and turbo and they both dont fit worth shit in my car so ive gotta do a frount mount and sise saddle the old turbo which will look bad ass and work so much smoother.