Standalone ECU ??????

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

imprezausa
In Neutral

Standalone ECU ??????

Post by imprezausa »

Hi All,
Have a question: Dos any one try to install stand alone ECU to our cars. If so what was the results? How hard is to do it and haw much it cost. We all know that Kelley got 100Hp extra with Autronic. How about other ECUs like Possum Link, Ecutek or others ?????

Jack
Last edited by imprezausa on Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxx
In Neutral

Post by Jaxx »

a TEC setup either a tec 2 or tec 3 (there is currently one for sale on nasioc for 1300 a screaming deal considerin they are almost 3000 new)
2005 LGT stage 2 +openECU
1993 Impreza (EJ20KDW6HE+4.44)
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Standalone ECU ??????

Post by JasonGrahn »

imprezausa wrote:Hi All,
Have a question: Dos any one try to install stand alone ECU to our cars. If so what was the results? How hard is to do it and haw much it cost. We all know that Kelly got 100Hp extra with Autronic. How about other ECUs like Possum Link, Ecutek or others ?????
Yes, people have tried to install stand alone ECUs. It is only something you should consider doing yourself if you KNOW that you can do it.

The cost of ECUs vary greatly, but then again, speed costs money. how fast do you want to go?

Imprezausa, don't blow this out of proportion. Kelly didn't net all that extra power with the Autronic alone. He has quite an extensive list of modifications. The autronic was used because it's the best unit out there to suit the needs of that car.

As for other ECUs, this is where i become a jackass. There is a TON of information on this already, all you have to do is search for it.
-Jason Grahn
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I stopped by turboxs a few months ago asking them about ecus for our cars. I think turboxs uses the ecutek . . . they told me they didn't (and probably would never have) an application for the older legacies.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

yeah jason is right. 100 hp is a bit much with an ecu alone with what you have to work with stock. I never dynoed it with just the ecu bit it felt like about 50 hp at aboout 10 psi. but I don't know how accurate that is. as far as the set up now I 'm guessing anywhere from 350-400 crank hp at 15 psi. but again this is a guess as I have not dynoed it yet. I have been trying to get some 850 cc inj. for this motor and then I was gona dyno it at 20 psi. but my new motor may be done soon so I may not get that done.
imprezausa
In Neutral

Post by imprezausa »

Thank you all for sharing information. :)
Kelley: How much did you pay and where did you buy yours?
Who installed it and how complicated was the job?
I’m sorry but I’m trying to use this forum to make my decision on this subject.
So far I know that Autronic works fine because Kelley likes it and he is happy with that. How about other members of this forum???
This forum has 530 active members and only Kelley has STANDALONE ECU?????
Any one has opinion on Link Plus?

Thanks,
Jack
r0gu3
In Neutral

Post by r0gu3 »

I would use a Microtech. :D
1992 Legacy Turbo
- Daily driver

1993 Montego Blue Touring
- Boost evading mod
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

What about the SDS-EFI EM-4 ecm ?
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

The SDS doesn't have the options or adjustability of the autronic.. Can it understand that the car is running closed loop (freeway cruising) and compensate for that? Not the last time i checked.
-Jason Grahn
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Jaxx wrote:a TEC setup either a tec 2 or tec 3 (there is currently one for sale on nasioc for 1300 a screaming deal considerin they are almost 3000 new)
You can get an E-TECIII from Primitive for around $1800 US new. They use them on their rally cars with the ej22t. Still pretty salty though. How much does the Autronic run?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

about the same price. Get the Autotune option for the extra dough, and you're set.
-Jason Grahn
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I would look on www.rslibertyclub.org Lot more people running them over there. Or www.nasioc.com, If it works on an 03 WRX it will work on 94 Legacy turbo. There might be 530 members on here but only a small amount are turbo owners.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

the autotune option is a nice feature. but dont pay extra for it. it is available with the software that you can download from the autronic website.
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

-K- wrote:If it works on an 03 WRX it will work on 94 Legacy turbo.
Can someone verify this statement?

I am looking at a link + for my EJ22G application.

Thanks
Brad
Nigel
In Neutral

Post by Nigel »

I'm running my '73 Datsun 240Z Turbo using an SDS EM3-6F (http://www.sdsefi.com) system.

It's a complete stand-alone system. I'm very pleased with it, and it was quite easy to tune. I've never tuned an engine before in my life, but I had the car up and running on the first try (ok, second try, after I realized that I hadn't hooked up the ground for the coils :oops: ).

There are basically 4 maps that you set up. 2 for fuel and 2 for ignition. Both are based on RPM and load (derived from a manifold pressure sensor). There's also a timing retard map based on load that's essential for turbos. All programming is done through a hand held programmer, so no laptop is required and you can tune on the fly.

It does have closed loop control which can be set based on engine RPM and load. This is just like the factory ECU which incidentally switches to open loop at 4000+ RPM and 0+ manifold pressure.

As the name of the company suggests (Simple Digital Systems), this thing is not going to run the Space Shuttle. It doesn't have datalogging, autotuning, or a bunch of GPO's (general purpose outputs). But I plan on getting the TechEdge (http://www.techedge.com.au) DIY wideband 02 system, which has datalogging, and it's no big deal to enter the values. As for GPO's, the SDS does have fuel pump, fan, and fast idle outputs.

I've considered converting my Legacy to SDS, but it's simply not in my buget. However, I am seriously looking at the DIY UltraMegaSquirt, which will be the full fuel and ignition control version of the popular MegaSquirt (http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html)($200US!!!). It's in devlopment right now, but should be available soon.

Nigel
'94 Legacy Turbo
'73 Datsun 240Z Turbo
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Nigel-

Whoa man! Just had to comment on the Z. My first car was a white 1970 with blue interior. Not nearly as nice, but I loved that car just the same. I don't see too many in white. Beautiful!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, UltraMegaSquirt is going to be awesome. If all goes as planned, it will be able to control a wideband oxygen sensor and also measure spark gap ionization currents...

Brad, in general most aftermarket engine management for a new age WRX should work on an old school Legacy Turbo as well... The main differences are OBD-I vs. OBD-II and that the cam/crank angle sensors are different (but most aftermarket ECUs have their own replacement anyway). The WRX does have the front wideband air/fuel sensor and a rear standard oxygen sensor, but I don't think any standalone ECUs use them... The Legacy just has one oxygen sensor which most systems should be able to use for closed loop if desired.

I'm also working on a way to remap stock Legacy ECUs (see my other thread in the Engine forum) which may prove to be a good option. No ideas on the time frame, though. :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

Thanks VRG3.

I will check out your thread. I am planning to run a pretty good amount of boost with a Garrett GT32 suplimented by water injection. I need to do a little more research on the Link + but I am pretty sure there is either a water injection function either that or its a function for intercooler water spray, which I'm really not worried about.

I need something that will have the capacity to run and store multiple tuning profiles. One for passing emmisions another for the track, another for street driving.

Do you have any experience with a programmable ecu that interfaces well with the turbo Legacy's systems and is fairly straight forward to use?

Thanks
Brad
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't have too much experience with aftermarket programmable ECUs myself... others can chime in. I don't think there's anything too weird about the Legacy Turbo's systems, so most any system should be workable. I don't know if anyone offers a plug-and-play adapter for our cars, though you could make one by cannibalizing a stock ECU.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212