My Saab 900 IC setup

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RaZor
In Neutral

My Saab 900 IC setup

Post by RaZor »

It's not the best looking job, but it's works just fine!!

HiRes : http://images3.fotki.com/v31/free/62adb ... 004-or.jpg

HiRes : http://images3.fotki.com/v30/free/62adb ... 006-or.jpg
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on!How do you like it?Did you notice power gains right away?Was it very hard to do?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

The hardest was to find the right stuff for the piping...I kept the original platic hose that was on the turbo outlet and cut it to fit in the red piping...I had to take off the last row of fins on both ends to make it fit...It was pushing a bit to hard on the coolant tank...

The sound of the turbo and BOV is now a lot louder since the intercooler is right on the firewall!!!

The boost feels realy realy stronger...it pulls harder as well...there is a big improvment at higer rpm...it now pulls hard to the redline...I'm running 11 psi for now...I'll try morgie's check valve thing to bypass the fuel cut...I can't wait to try it at 14-15 psi!!!! I'm sure I'll kick stock WRX's asses at 15 psi!!!!

It costed me not more than 150$can to do that project...you should all do it!!!!

A WRX scoop will come soon to let more air get on the intercooler!!! :D
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

cool,if you are going to put on the wrx scoop it would be really great if you could take step by step photos and post them.I think quite a few would like to see it :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I found the piping to be the biggest issue on my setup too. I ended up scavanging the turbo->IC pipes from a volvo. the BOV bung is in there too. on a '80s volvo 740 turbo (IIRC), there is a hose with almost the right bend in it, and a solid aluminum elbow with a bung, both in its turbo->IC puping. the rubber elbow can be bent a little bit to fit. I used hose clamps to brace it and help it keep the proper shape. I had to cut an inch or so off the aluminum elbow to get it to fit properly, but the curve was just right, as was the location of the bung for running the BOV. I got the IC->TB hose section off some saab 9000. but that piece was easy enough to fit. like most, I found that I had to cut a centimeter or so off the IC outlet to get it to fit right. but then everything was good.

as razor found, the boost hits a lot harder, especially in the top end. even on stock boost. honestly, it takes a moment longer for boost to hit (at least I found it did), but its worth it. my 0-60 was a little slower, but highway driving was a blast.

if the sounds of the turbo get too annoying, like having to yell "hey, isn't this fast!" to your passenger cause the turbo is too damn loud... try putting some foam of some sort like mounting tape between teh IC and the firewall. cuts the sound down a lot. I could still hear it over my straight pipe, but it was much quieter than before.

that;s all I got for now. check out my thread a ways down the list.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Redline Dreamz
In Neutral

Post by Redline Dreamz »

RaZor wrote:I'll try morgie's check valve thing to bypass the fuel cut...I can't wait to try it at 14-15 psi!!!! I'm sure I'll kick stock WRX's asses at 15 psi!!!!...............
Well when you hit 15psi, it will pull pretty hard, BUT.... you wont be trashing any stock WRXs, not even with a TD05... sorry, i already tried :cry: The WRX hood scoop is supposed to allow for much more air and i would recommend it. I think i may try to make make a custom fiberglass scoop that can house 2 or 3 guages in the back of it.
All kinds of cars but none of them run.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Redline Dreamz wrote:
RaZor wrote:I'll try morgie's check valve thing to bypass the fuel cut...I can't wait to try it at 14-15 psi!!!! I'm sure I'll kick stock WRX's asses at 15 psi!!!!...............
Well when you hit 15psi, it will pull pretty hard, BUT.... you wont be trashing any stock WRXs, not even with a TD05... sorry, i already tried :cry:
Boostjunkie doesn't seem to have a problem ownx0ring WRXs..
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

Did you add a BOV as well ?

If so, what is it off ?

did you put in a boost guage ?

If stock 2.2ltrubo is about 161 hp, what would you estimate to get from just adding the sabb 900 IC, with 13psi ?

lots of questions.. sorry.
-----

http://www.bignose.ca/legacy/pics/
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

From the second picture it looks like he has the stock blowoff valve plumbed in.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

it was my understanding, that our cars only came with a wastegate, and not an actually blow off valve.
-----

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Actually we have a diverter valve (dv) ,sometimes called a recirculation valve, not a blow off valve(bov). A bov vents pressure to the atmosphere,while a dv recirculates the air back in front of the turbo compressor which is what we have. Hope this helps.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

It's actually a BOV. There are two types of BOV. Atmos, wich vent in the air and recirculation type wich get the air back into the intake. The first one sounds loud, like the aftermarket ones, and the second type sounds quiet, like on most stock cars.

On my setup, I kept the stock one. But it now sounds a lot louder due to the intercooler system being a lot louder itself. Don't ask me why!!! It sounds between a atmo and a normal one!!!!

At 12-13 psi with intercoller and full exhaust, I'd say arround 190. But I could be wrong...It's what it feels like...I have the stock scoop, so the intercooler is not working at its best. When it rains, it feels more likre 220hp!!!! For real...I can't wait to put the WRX scoop on and feel the intercooler at its best all the time!!! :D
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well my understanding is that there are different types of air bypass valves, or compressor bypass valves(abv,cbv).Bov, which only vents to atmosphere and dv which recirculates and "hybrids" valves which are a mix of the two.Hybrids recirculate under light loads and vent some to atmosphere under heavy load. It is also my understanding that cars with MAF require a dv setup for correct fueling. A lot of times all 3 of these air bypass valves are called blow off valves but they aren't. Check out the article in june 2003 Sport Compact Car,compressor bypass blow-out. It has a lot of good info on this exact discussion. It's really no big deal, just backing up my side. :wink:

:)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

so by full exhaust, you mean 3 inch all the way back ?

i was kinda hoping it would be a larger gain than that..

my target is around 250hp, i guess it's further away that i expected.
RaZor wrote:It's actually a BOV. There are two types of BOV. Atmos, wich vent in the air and recirculation type wich get the air back into the intake. The first one sounds loud, like the aftermarket ones, and the second type sounds quiet, like on most stock cars.

On my setup, I kept the stock one. But it now sounds a lot louder due to the intercooler system being a lot louder itself. Don't ask me why!!! It sounds between a atmo and a normal one!!!!

At 12-13 psi with intercoller and full exhaust, I'd say arround 190. But I could be wrong...It's what it feels like...I have the stock scoop, so the intercooler is not working at its best. When it rains, it feels more likre 220hp!!!! For real...I can't wait to put the WRX scoop on and feel the intercooler at its best all the time!!! :D
-----

RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

bignose wrote:so by full exhaust, you mean 3 inch all the way back ?

i was kinda hoping it would be a larger gain than that..

my target is around 250hp, i guess it's further away that i expected.
I have a 2.5 inches from turbo to muffler. Bigger then that is just a waste of low end torque...Unless you're going for 300hp and more...

Like, I said, the 190 hp feel is with the stock scoop. I guess it could feel like 210-220 with a WRX scoop to make the intercooler work better. Your 250hp goal is not that far. Bigger gas pump and injectors, and something to ajust your mixture added to my setup and I'm pretty sure you'd be close to 250hp...
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

ok, that peaks another question i have, my car has 435000k's on it, how high can i go safly ? is 300hp too much ?
-----

RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

Your internal parts won't make it to that much hp's for sure!!!! Stock with an exhaust line and you'll be near to the top your engine can give you...
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

so you're saying i should not even add an intercooler ?

also, what would be preferable, rebuilding the engine, or just buying one with about 100 or 150,000k's on it ?
-----

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

tell me why the internals wouldn't make it to 300 hp?

I would say that it very attainable on stock internals with proper setup and tuning.

I'd be more concerned about the trans.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I have to agree with Josh. My understanding was that the ej22t stock internals were good to around 350hp with proper management.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

see, that's the thing, without even seeing the engine, it would be pretty hard to make a diagnosis as to whether or not it could handle any mods.

there is no knocking, or hesitation , it does not leak oil and generally sounds very good. i have not yet done any compression tests etc..

i think i'm just gonna try to stay between 250 and 300 in the long run.

if i wanna go above 300 it'll be with another car.
-----

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

why another car? get 300 to the wheels (approx. 400 at crank) and then drive around and watch the cops look THROUGH your car to see what's next to you. gotta love sleepers.

an intercooler is as far as I know is always a good idea. your engine runs safer since it's farther from detonation and it just happens to add a bunch of horsepower :D
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

true true.. well, i'll just have to see waht my budget permits..

thanks for the info guys.
-----

RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

Legacy777 wrote:tell me why the internals wouldn't make it to 300 hp?

I would say that it very attainable on stock internals with proper setup and tuning.

I'd be more concerned about the trans.
I would not spend money on an enginew ith that much millage...that's what I meant!!!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Whats wrong with an engine like that? Just get it rebuilt. Nothing wrong with it, especially if its still running good.