Swap question

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mile hi
First Gear

Swap question

Post by mile hi »

I am talking to someone who's '92 Legacy Turbo was totaled. He now wants to swap the engine, automatic transmission and TCU into a '95 and use the '95 ECU. Anyone done this? suggestions? Problems? ideas? I think it should work.
AL(CO)
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I don't think the ECU will work. I think '94 was the last year for the turbo, so it's a N/A '95? I would take the ECU with the swap. If it was me I'd get a 93-94 Impreza and take the entire engine, harness, ECU. You also need the turbo front crossmember.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I dont know, with low boost wouldnt the stock ECU be able to tune around it? I think you should ask in the aftermarket forced induction forum on the I-club
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

A friend of mine swapped an EJ22T into a 96 Impreza and uses the stock ECU that worked with the 1.8. Idle is funny, but otherwise it does most of the chores of the original ECU just fine.

He's using a manual boost controller and an AFC to get proper fueling.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Al,

I've been talking with that guy. I told him he could use one of your chips with the stock 95 ecu.

The other issue is that in 95 OBD2 was introduced. So I don't think he could just swap ECU's.....and pulling the whole wiring harness would be an unbelievable bear. He'd be better off just getting some sort of additional engine management....mainly boost, a/f ratio, & timing. The stock ecu should be able to handle the rest of the stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

My biggest concern was the '92 transmission and TCU working with the '95 ECU. I told him I could come up with something to cut the fuel back as the '95 ECU would deliver too much fuel with the Turbo injectors. Otherwise this should work somewhat like a aftermarket turbo setup with the advantage of lower compression. He would have to run off the wastegate or use boost control and I might be able to do something about that also. The idea of pulling the harness is almost out of the question. I pulled the entire harness out of a Legacy wagon and installed it in my '84 coupe as our first conversion and would never consider doing it again.
AL(CO)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are all the connectors the same for the OBD1 & OBD2 ecu's? Or is there a difference there that will cause him problems.

I'm assuming too because one is a turbo & one is n/a that will cause problems too.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The connector different for the '95 ECU this was a one year thing, the plug is gray and of the same type as the '96-'98 but all the wires were reversed on the plug. The OBD II should function as a diagnostic port as far as I can see but I have heard of a few '95 cars that had to have the OBD II connector added. This is a n/a ECU but we have installed the turbo's on several n/a EJ22 and EJ25 engines and as long as the boost is controlled this has worked well and even better when some fuel is added. This setup would also have lower compression and would be able to run higher boost than the n/a engines.
AL(CO)
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

You might want to check to make sure that the car is really OBD-II, my 95 Impreza is OBD-I.
noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap