Bodywork - advice please?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dr Nick
Second Gear

Bodywork - advice please?

Post by Dr Nick »

My Legacy estate(wagon) is pretty rusty along the bottom edge of the driver's door, top of both front arches, under the tail window and (worst) along the top edge of the front screen.

I guess the options are:

(1) Get a reputable bodyshop to repair and respray (anyone know a good UK bodyshop?)

(2) Get another non-turbo or non-running Legacy and transplant all the turbo running gear etc.

(3) Just keep driving it until it falls to pieces! :shock:

Any ideas/advice? Bear in mind that (a) I adore this car :D and (b) I'm not exactly loaded with cash!

TIA!
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

my white turbo is rusting in all the same spots....... all of your choices sound good :D
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

As I write, mine is in the shop for all the same rust except for the windshield. They're cutting out the rust and welding in new metal for the wheel arches and end of rear sills, removing tailgate window to take care of sneaky rust under it, rolling the inside wheel wells to clear my tires, seam-welding the sills, and repainting the faded roof. All told ~$3K. Damn New England weather, but she's in much better shape than my old GL's and Datsun Z's that cancer sent to the junk yard. She's lucky I love her and that a used Skyline is too much $$.

Steve.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

for the doors, i had a few legacys come my way with the same prob...i sand blasted the rusty parts, sprayed some under coating on the inside of the holes (providing the rust has eaten through) then use tiger hair fiberglass on the edges to restore some of the strength...then have a reputable shop spray and do the finishing touches...itll save you a bundle and so far no rust has come back....my $0.02
Sam