Check Engine Light

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

Check Engine Light

Post by Legacypusher »

I have been under the dash of my '90 Legacy trying to find the leads to connect to read my Check Engine Light codes with no success. I would appreciate some help for exactly what to look for. The old gal has only 146K on her, and runs like a top. I think I'll keep her.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you have an AT or MT?

If you have an auto trans, you may need to loosen the two bolts holding on the trans computer to find the connectors. I had to.

This pic might help.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... cuhide.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I have a five speed, FWD wagon. I tried the green connectors, which were the only ones I could find that matched, and got some very interesting sounds, but no help on the flashing engine codes. I appreciate your help.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

i believe its the black single-wire connectors. the green ones are used for a different kind of check.
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Thanks for the response. I removed the access panel and finally found the black connectors. They were pretty well hidden. Will proceed from there. I haven't noticed any performance or gas mileage problems, but the CEL is annoying.

This is a great forum--I've been scouting around and have found answers to many of my questions.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

heh if everything still seems fine it might just be the purge canister solenoid code. its code 35. although when mine had that it gave me a pretty low idle but thats about it. its nothing too big to worry about i believe.

i have no idea why no one else had responded to your question. maybe they wanted you to search. iunno. :?