Time to remove a REALLY big dent

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Time to remove a REALLY big dent

Post by scottzg »

so about 4 months ago a motorcycle ran into me while i was stopped. The cops called no fault, leaving my minimal insurance responsible for nothing. I've finally decided to see about repairing it, and was considering doing it myself. Its about 5 inches deep, a foot and a half across, and on the rear quarter panel.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing their own work, with like a slide hammer, and might have some suggestions. Thanks!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It would depend on the type of dent, the location, how good you want it to look, and how long you want it to last. A creased dent is very difficult to fix without filler or big expense, but the filler only lasts a few years around here - moisture gets under it and causes rust as well as lifting of the filler. An uncreased dent like from when you get pissed and punch the middle of a flat panel, like a door (discounting the knuckle dents) can usually get popped right back into shape.

There are also people who do 'paintless dent removal' relatively cheap by using a variety of special tools to get behind the body panel and gently massaging it back into shape. Depends if they could get behind it or not, but that may be an option - I've seen some good results. Good luck.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.