Real ID - real BS

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Real ID - real BS

Post by Tleg93 »

Has anyone been keeping track of this. This angers me. I'd rather risk being in a terrorist attack than give up more money and the freedom to disappear or not be tracked at the whim of some power hungry politicos.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/12/ramas ... index.html

A passage that bugged me:

Many commentators predict that radio frequency identification (RFID) tags will be placed in our licenses. (Other alternatives include a magnetic strip or enhanced bar code). In the past, the Department of Homeland Security has indicated it likes the concept of RFID chips.

RFID tags emit radio frequency signals. Significantly, those signals would allow the government to track the movement of our cards and us.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

They probably already do that, we just don't know it! :lol:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

its technology like this that starts to make the unibomber's vendeta with the government a litle less crazy....
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Guess they've given up on OBDIII and on to this. And that would protect us from terrorists how? Why haven't they caught Bin Laden? Are terrorists really so inept that they couldn't get around such stupidity? More bullshit culling of freedoms under the excuse of protection. They don't even concentrate on any of the things they could that would really be in the interest of security. Maybe they wouldn't be high profile enough or easy to explain to appropriation committees, but I think the real reason is they can't use them as excuses to introduce new legislation to control people. Want safe? Live in a padded cell.

Every day I am pushed further and further towards the life of crime I know I'd be good at. I almost want them to take all freedoms away so I have no more excuse to tether myself to society and stop just writing about smuggling.

Yar! Modern day pirates unite!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

magicmike wrote:its technology like this that starts to make the unibomber's vendeta with the government a litle less crazy....
I lived about 45 minutes from him.

And I've heard of ideas for these things in license plates, as well.

article on that:
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68429,00.html
peter@functionauto.com
subaruadrian
First Gear

Post by subaruadrian »

Eh.. it's no different than what they do with toll tags. ok, maybe a little, but not much. it's just a chip read by a big magnet that stores all the data you offer. i think they will most likely just tattoo a serial number to our foreheads.. maybe a bar code.
92 Subaru Legacy sedan
Subaru of Dallas
www.Hot-Subaru.com
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

"Those who are willing to sacrifice essential freedom for security deserve neither."

Benjamin Franklin
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

f that. I'd drive without my license and keep my real one in a safe deposit box at the bank
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

It's just a matter of time till they want to implant......

I also don't see how this will stop any terrorists, just make it easy to say who did it. And that won't deter a sucide bomber.

Also, you don't have to get one of those toll tags. You will need an ID.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

the very reason that I do not have a toll tag on my car, in spite of the obvious advantages, and also the reason that my grocery store discount card is under a false name

I don't think this one will get too far, those tracking tags for school kids got shot down pretty fast
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I'll tell you who and what needs to get shot down pretty fast. . .
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Easy ... SS is everywhere.

And no, not SS as in Hitler's elite ... hm ... well, I don't know anymore.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I love how this real ID nonsense gets tacked onto some unrelated bills regarding tsunami relief. :roll:
Addresses cannot be P.O. boxes. That will predictably cause problems for people who may fear for their personal safety -- including judges, police officers or domestic violence victims -- or people who may not have a permanent home, such as the homeless, who may be urgently in need of Medicare or other benefits. There needs to be a procedure to ensure these persons' safety and welfare. The Real ID Act has none.
this is downright crazy, compromising individual's safety.

Private businesses may be able to use remote scanners to read RFID tags too, and add to the digital dossiers they may already be compiling. If different merchants combine their data -- you can imagine the sorts of profiles that will develop. And unlike with a grocery store checkout, we may have no idea the scan is even occurring; no telltale beep will alert us.

walmart will be overjoyed to hear about this :roll:
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Wal Mart is on my shortlist of evil corporations I wish I could bring down along with Mobil/Exxon and Microsoft.

Steve
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Walms is the first to implement RFIDs --They do it for "Loss Prevention" reasons. I assume that means not what we think it does, but it means them not losing a potential sale. Or employees to unions. Walmart says unions are bad and do nothing for the people. :roll:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I guess Walmart has taken to murdering American citizens in their parking lots now. I heard of this guy who forgot to pay for an item or stole it or whatever and they tackeled his ass and held him against the hot pavement until he died while onlookers numbering about 30 or so screamed for them to let him up. What is this country coming to?

"Your papers please"
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Unions are evil. It is the main reason jobs are shipped overseas, they drive the cost to manufacture in the USA up.

Wallmart is also evil...
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

You're right, unions may be evil but I sure wish I was in one where I work. Maybe then I wouldn't have to work a 12 hour shift, pay 36 bucks a week for dental and health care, be subject to random drug screenings and be on call at my boss's whim. Although he's been cool so far about the on-call thing.

It sucks, electrical contols techs at unionized paper mills in, say, washington make 35.00/hour to start. That's a little over twice what I make. It could be worse I guess. Generally, I agree though. I've been in unions that did little more than take my money. But then they're gone, you take a 50% pay cut and you can't afford to live. That's what happened to some places here. Overall, I'd trust a union more than a corporation but I don't trust either.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Sounds like we'll soon get a long wait at the Department of Licensing, then a rectal implant that will broadcast our purchasing habits.
I bet public toilets will have "personalized" ads.
90 L+ wgn
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

best solution thus far......

move out of the united states ASAP
(JDM parts anyone?)
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

To where?

There is no country with close to our standard of living where I could be as free.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

I'm not sure that's true. *edit* but I don't feel like arguing right now
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You could move away to Canada..they're not that bad..really.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

australia?
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

More standard vacation time there, too.

Steve