Any Original Owners from 1990?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

Any Original Owners from 1990?

Post by Legacypusher »

I found my original window sticker today in my Legacy owner's portfolio. Legacy L wagon, fwd, 1990, 5MT. Base price: $13,049.
Special paint (Sand stone) 120.
Value plus package: net after discount 995.
(a/c, cruise, 80 watt stereo w/cassette, equalizer)
Customs user fee(?) 20.
Roof rack. 199.
Dealer prep charge (unreimbursed portion) 129.
Transportation charges 395.

MSRP $14,907

I will post the story of buying this car new for $13,102 later. It's kinda long, but maybe it's informative and a tad humorous. The salesman was really glad when I left. With the car. :lol:
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Thats awesome!

Although I am not the original buyer of my 1990 L wagon, most of the original paperwork and some brochures were in the glovebox...There were even some OEM wiper blade replacements in the "multi-box."
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I started a thread about this a long time ago. I do believe you are the only member on this board who is the original owner!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I don't really 'own' my car for legality reasons, it's title hasn't changed since 1993 when we bought it. I'll see if I can find the window sticker.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

subyluvr2212 wrote:I started a thread about this a long time ago. I do believe you are the only member on this board who is the original owner!
Most of the members on this board aren't old enough to have owned one from new.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Legacypusher
First Gear

Yep, I must be old.

Post by Legacypusher »

I don't feel old, but it's hard to believe my wagon is almost old enough to drive by itself. :lol: I updated my post in the MISC forum to reflect the sales taxes. Total was $13,669.49 out the door.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I don't have the first legacy we bought....OK, my fiances parents bought it for her for college graduation. 1991 FWD wagon, stripped except for AC. This thing had manual windows.

Awesome wagon. Would do 90 in third. But it was FWD. But it was still a nice ride.

Then she left me. Ha ha.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

My wagon still does 90 in third, and fwd works pretty well in S. GA where we rarely, if ever, see snow. (I would guess that every ten years or so we get a couple of inches that stick for a few hours.) And we never, ever, get salted roads to eat our cars. I look at some of the Legacy's for sale up north and shake my head at the salt damage to the body and under the hood. I have never felt the need for the extra weight and complexity of AWD in this climate.

I'm sure AWD great where it snows a lot, and every time I've been in Santa Fe, I see more Subies there than anywhere else I've been. I haven't driven in WA so don't know about there, but it seems like a lot of folks on the board are from there. Hi up there to you all, from the sunny, humid, sweaty south! Yes, "you all" is plural, and is contracted as "Y'all," but only when refering to more than one person. Only Hollywood movies and bad tv shows use "Y'all" to refer to a single person. A true southerner would never make such a faux pas. Why, that would be like a northener saying "Youse guys." It simply isn't done.
Don

Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

FWD around here would never do. We get a 6 inch snow at least once a winter, and then you'd be stuck.

I remember one time last year, it snowed during mid-terms and there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground by about 12 when we got out. Everyone else was slipping and sliding and spinning tires. I spun my tires, after I floored it just to prove my car could haul ass in snow :twisted:
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

My dad was the original owner of the 91. However the title was transferred twice, and it's been sold for over a year now.

AWD does come in handy outside of snow. It adds to the stability of the car on freeway speeds(especially when it rains) and help with weight distribution. Also is great for autocross. :)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I'm sure the AWD is great for autocross. I haven't done that in years--I used to autocross a '59 Porsche 356A, and a '69 912. (Both were well used when I got them. I'm not THAT old.) I guess that's why I love 4 cyl. boxer engines so much. I will bet a nickel that your wagon is quicker that either of those, but they sure were fun to drive! Just don't let up on the throttle if you find yourself entering a turn too fast in an old Porsche--grit your teeth and stick the gas. I learned a lot about driving in those things.
Don

Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Howdy all,

There are quite a few 91 L here, eh?!
Any of those 5MT AWD wagons?

I'm the third owner after it was donated to KPBS I assume because it failed the CA smog test. After the donation it went through 4 used car dealers in 10 days before I got it well overpriced with 170500mi on it. but oh well I loved it and was looking to spend that much on a new car anyways...
so either 3rd owner or 7th....
the lady before me took awesome care of it she's also from WA, moved to CA a few years back - still not a speck of rust!!
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
Fishy
First Gear

Post by Fishy »

I'm only the second owner of my 94 turbo wagon. it was dealer maintained until about 138,000kms. we bought it at 146,000kms with 10 grand worth of upkeep slips in the glovebox. Boy did that dealer REAM the original owners out for a load of money! $50 per oil change?!?!?! wtf!?
94 legacy wagon - ej22T awd
99 legacy wagon - ej22 awd
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Second owner in 1998. The original owner was the partner of an accounting or law firm. His wife drove the car frequently and left high heel damage to the floor mat behind. I hope she was at least hot. Probably not.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

third owner, first was "jefford's steel" in plattsburgh (company car) and second was some older guy that did crap for maintenance.
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

The best thing about being the original owner is that I know every single thing that has ever been done to the wagon, and I have performed all oil changes and tune-ups myself. I have always used the Bosch platinum plugs and Fram filters, but after absorbing some of the wealth of knowledge on the bbs I guess I will try NGK/Purolator next time.
Don

0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

my soobs run crappy on bosch, and I heard fram filters fall apart and allow you to run unfiltered oil for 3000 miles
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I guess I have been lucky, but will try the other plugs and filters and see if they make a difference. I've been pretty good about changing things on time and still get 30+ mpg on the road. Thank goodness, what with the new gas prices. I have a turd neighbor who bought an H2 Hummer with the "pick-up bed" option a couple of months ago. I hope he enjoys his 6-8 mpg. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. What a stupid looking ride; I laugh every time I see him in it.
Don

tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

Manarius wrote:FWD around here would never do. We get a 6 inch snow at least once a winter, and then you'd be stuck.

I remember one time last year, it snowed during mid-terms and there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground by about 12 when we got out. Everyone else was slipping and sliding and spinning tires. I spun my tires, after I floored it just to prove my car could haul ass in snow :twisted:
funny, I like a lot farther north than you do and I have no problem with FWD in the winter
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Ok so I found all sorts of goodies today.

List price for a 93 L AWD Wagon was 18,550

4EAT +$800
Winestone Metallic Paint +$120

Total price was $19,915 not sure what we paid though, that was just the window sticker. MPG according to the sticker is 21/27. Not too shabby I guess. I have the original Subaru "DRIVE" letter with the "vin card" for dealer maintenence. Cool stuff.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Funny, sticker on my 90 was 14k. They got valuable or something.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I guess so, but I don't think we paid nearly that. We're also in more of a Subaru area so maybe they were going at a premium at the time?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan