Project: GT Overhaul!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bjlandlew
In Neutral

Project: GT Overhaul!

Post by bjlandlew »

Well it is sad that this is my first post on the legacycentral boards but things can only improve from here on out! :)

I drove this 93' Subaru GT through HS, my parents then kept it for a few years; now I've gotten married and have a baby so they dropped it off for our use. Unfortunately, only four days after we recieved the car my wife had to take major evasive action to avoid getting into a huge wreck. Given the circumstances she did the best she could however, the car did spin out and the front end kissed the wall. Just fyi she did retain enough control that she did not hit any other cars and there was a buttload of traffic. Most importantly she did not get hurt! :D

I surveyed the damage this afternoon and the car needs a radiator, left headlight cover, front fenders, front bumper and hood. I thought about selling but I will get low-balled and this thing has been loved and cared for since day one. The engine has almost new everything, suspension is in good shape, has a rebuilt tranny, new tires and the list just goes on. So instead of taking o sayyyyyy $400.00 I say we make her better, stronger, FASTER! :twisted:

Can you give me some suggestions on good aftermarket bodyparts or should I just go to the junkyard? Also is there an upgraded radiator that I can go to??? I'll be reading up on additional handling/braking improvements and then go for a boost in performance. Right now I just want to get her looking GREAT again!!!

Pics below...

93' Legacy Sport "Under Construction" ;-)
87' 944 Turbo (unbelievably the dd)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Welcome to the BBS, you've come to the right place :).

Glad to hear your wife is okay but sorry about the car, looks like it wasn't too bad. As far as finding body parts, check out the 'Parts Shed' forum and also your local junk yard. You won't really find too much in the way of aftermarket body parts for the legacy, or atleast not much that won't get you labeled ricer ;). And if you're interested in making her into a real powerhouse that handles, all the info is right here at your fingertips, the search button will become your friend :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Heh, well I was just thinking that if there were any styling improvements to be made that this would be a good time for that!

It's funny that so many other asian cars have huge aftermarket support, but this car does not. I understand the word rice, but I also know that there are always truly classy alternatives. 8)

I am actually a vw/porsche guy at heart, but I have always liked this car and of course anything with turbo can be great fun!

Case-in-point: My 87' 944 turbo :lol:

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Looks like a TW to me.

I agree with searching the JY's near you. You could make the car look better by putting pre-facelift parts on it :) Though if it really came down to it you could just slap on a bunch of NA parts.

Your 944 looks pretty sweet.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Pardon my ignorance...

TW? Is there an faq with explanation for a noob like me?

Also what do you mean by pre-facelift? Turbo's from 91-92?

I checked the sticker inside the driver door and it says it was mfg in Japan and the date is 09/02

Also I wasn't aware that the NA parts were backwards compatible. The guys at one of the JY's told me that 91-92 body parts wouldn't work with a 93. :cry:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It looks like you probably have some radiator core support damage....and maybe some other minor structural damage. You can probably bang things back out again though, and then put new panels on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Actually the bumper looks like it did its job very well, but you're probably right about dusting off the ol mallet. The hood release and bracket definetly took a beating!

I am sad that the group buy on FG hoods didn't work out. Would have loved to get one of those for the car. :cry:

Btw, I am originally from Houston...small world (big city). :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could move to the older style front end since you need all the parts to do it anyway with the exception of one headlight and sidemarker. The post facelift has better stock lighting FWIW. The only real difference between the N/A and turbo is the bumper grille and hood scoop - all cosmetic. I have an unpainted 1993 turbo front bumper that must have been installed as a replacement for accident damage and never painted. It has some cosmetic scratches and I'd have to give you some extra chrome stripping for it (or reuse your own if you want), but it has to be cleaned up for painting anyway and it would turn out fine. PM me if you're interested, though shipping may suck.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

944 turbo - drewl...

TW = Touring wagon (92-94 turbo wagon). It would be the only TW I've seen without roof rails though ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

ohhhhhhh! :oops: Nono! It is a Sedan. My parents purchased it brand new from the Mac Heik (spell?) dealership in Houston. Supposedly there was only one other available in Texas at the time and that one was in Austin.

I'm having a difficult time locating a used rad for the vehicle and I'd rather not replumb for the NA version so I may cough up the $250.00 that the local autoparts store is asking. The mfg is G&O.

Also don't get all drooly over this turbo; as soon as the Subbie is able to make trips again she is going under the knife. I gotta do a belt job, new vac lines, rebuild throttle body, and get the exhaust manifold welded up so it doesn't leak.

Maybe I should get the intake and exhaust manifolds polished? A little bling never hurt right?!! :lol:
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Oh, then it's not a TW, but an SS.

Rebuild the throttle body? What does that mean?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Rebuilding the throttle body

See: http://www.arnnworx.com/951_tb_kit.htm
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Yeah, there was no such thing as a gt in the US in 93. The GT was a 94 only car(in this body style) and had a raised roof and was also non-turbo. It was however, loaded, and had impossible to find sideskirts and a rear lip.

The turbo sedans began in 91, however the body style changed when 92 swung around, so there was only one year of turbo sedans that looked *good* The touring wagon, however got fucked on the looks department, as it began production as a 92 model with the facelift cars.

Here's a link for the radiator. $194. It should ship to the closest store to you, and you'll be able to pick it up. :) http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 31&ptset=A
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Ok so clearly I am retarded and the thread title should be changed from GT to SS. :oops:

Oh and Laurel....*chanting* I am not worthy-I am not worthy!

:lol:

Thanks for the link, that will save me some dough and Kragen should price-match!
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

That is Kragen. The radiator I linked however, is not a regularly stocked item, so you may want to call and see if they can even order it. (or I can check in a couple hours at work).

Good luck, they're morons at that company
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Really? Kragen quoted me the $250.00 rad specific to the car. Said they even had it at their depot in town and I could have it the same day.

Is this one also 2-row? I called another shop A-1 Rad and they quoted me $269.00 (same rad..they mark it up and want to install it as well - not free either)

At any rate I'll be prowling another jy in couple of days. :twisted:
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

If they have the CU1819, then get it. Bring in a printout from partsamerica, and they'll pricematch it down to 194.99.

You could also spend $25 more and get the better radiator(lifetime warranty). These are the radiators that we carry at our store, and have never had one warranty claim come in, nor complaint
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
KGB4187
First Gear

Post by KGB4187 »

It is the 2-row. I went through crap with Kragen because they had me order the wrong radiator. AC is standard on all turbos as far as I know, but when I was ordering it they didnt even ask if I had it. After getting the car to the shop and organizing rides to Kragen/shop/back to my work, the shop called and said its the wrong one. :evil:

Oh and my TW doesnt have roof rails.
1991 Subaru Legacy LS wagon- RIP
1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo Wagon
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Ok I walked into my local Kragen and they ordered it w/o any issues for me!

The only catch is that it will take 8-days. I suppose that gives me some time to source the body panels and front end. :)
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Woot! The radiator came in...and it is perfect!

I got it installed last night (kind of a b*tch!) and plan to fill and turn the engine over for the first time in three weeks tonight! :)

I also have the fenders on order and a new windsheild (the old one has had a long crack in it for awhile). New brake pads should be arriving shortly as well.

Do I need the sport hood? Or is it a case of if you don't use it then you need to go with some type of intercooler?

Still looking for a front bumper cover and the left corner blinker. Otherwise things are coming along nicely!

So, any tips/tricks on refilling the the system with coolant?!?! :P
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Refilling the cooling system: Just pour it in the radiator, but take the bleeder screw out of the left (pass) side of the radiator. That way, all the air will go out as the coolant is coming in. Once coolant comes up to that hole for the bleeder screw, your radiator is full.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
bjlandlew
In Neutral

Post by bjlandlew »

Ok I refilled the cooling system w/o issue.

Then I ran into a couple of problems....

The battery will not hold a charge above 62% and then drains off fairly quickly.

If I set the charger on "Car Start" then go and turn the key the car does start up, however it will not idle. I have to keep my foot on the pedal to get the engine to stay on. If I take my foot off the gas the car will sputter, cough and die.

Any tips on where to start looking?