Governor?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SPARTUS
In Neutral

Governor?

Post by SPARTUS »

Hey Guys,

Does anybody know if my 1992 legacy fwd auto has any type of speed governor on it. If it does, whats the speed governored at?
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My 1990 FWD 5MT has no speed governor and I would assume the autos are the same. Saw 133 on the spedo (risked life and limb just to look down). No idea what actual speed was, but that's what the car was giving me. Wagon floats bad over 120. Damn BMW punk was as surprised as I was. Don't recommend it. Very stupid. :shock:

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Auto is good for at least 130mph most likely more... (this was definitely NOT on a public highway) :D
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

This batch of cars seems to have slipped under the speed-limiter radar... maybe something about being made in Japan. Good for us! If used properly on a closed road with a professional driver of course....
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No speed limiter. I've had mine up to 130 mph
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SPARTUS
In Neutral

Post by SPARTUS »

Brat4by4 wrote:This batch of cars seems to have slipped under the speed-limiter radar... maybe something about being made in Japan. Good for us! If used properly on a closed road with a professional driver of course....
My 92 is made in the USA. Alot of the parts are japanese,however there are parts that are built in the USA also. I wish my 92 was made in japan. Does anybody know of any links to road tests that people held on my 92 fwd automatic. I'm interested on the impressions held by those who drove the fwd auto.
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
SPARTUS
In Neutral

Post by SPARTUS »

Also, to those who have a similar car as mine, what performance upgrades did you add and how does it help your performance.
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

intake and exhaust are the normal things, save removing the snorkus. There are some other minor things to do for similarly minor gains.

I ask you, as the driver of a fwd automatic, why worry about tiny gains that will only make you faster than yourself? It's like making a non-fast car into a non-fast car of a slightly lesser degree. I'm asking the same question of myself of course.... :wink:
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

scottzg wrote:intake and exhaust are the normal things, save removing the snorkus. There are some other minor things to do for similarly minor gains.

I ask you, as the driver of a fwd automatic, why worry about tiny gains that will only make you faster than yourself? It's like making a non-fast car into a non-fast car of a slightly lesser degree. I'm asking the same question of myself of course.... :wink:
sometimes it's nice just to be faster than yourself. there's more to driving than competition. I knew that doing the TB bypass mod on my '02 Impreza wasnt going to win me any races, but it was nice to feel a little more response on the highway. I had to use less throttle, and could usually avoid having to downshifting, in order to accellerate in 4th. sometimes little mods just change the charecter of the car.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Dr Nick
Second Gear

Post by Dr Nick »

No limiter on the UK cars either. Saw 125 and still in fourth gear... :shock: Obviously not on a road though... :wink:
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

my car is limited at 175 mph. ...i think
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
LivinLegacy
In Neutral

138mph

Post by LivinLegacy »

mine did 138mph before it was deep in redline and had no more gears to go, but that was back in 1993 who knows if it will do that today, i dont know cuz am not going to try but there is no esc(governor) on it
91' Legacy.....Under Construction....Pics Comin Soon
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

SPARTUS:"what performance upgrades did you add and how does it help your performance."
A donor AWD car.

Scottzg: Would that be redline in 4th gear?
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Our cars are supposed to be limited at 112 mph, electronically.

I can't attest for it though. I've hit 100 about enough times to count on one hand, the first time was the fastest I've ever had the car, I think I hit 105 that time...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I thought only Jap-spec cars had speed limiters ~108mph.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

scottzg wrote:my car is limited at 175 mph. ...i think
i dont even remember typing that. Its prolly what the speedo goes up to or something.

I've done ~120. It might have had some more go, but not any worth considering. awd with 5mt is slower.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's limited to 175 by redline in 5th on the 5MT with 3.7 final drive. You'd need a lot of power and balls to hit that, though.

Steve
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

my 92 legacy fwd 4eat was never able to go faster than 120mph. No mods that i did were ever able to push that higher.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
greensubie
In Neutral

Post by greensubie »

my limit is like 115 @2500rpm suxxxxxxxx i could get so much more out of that gear
So...hows your cokebottle today?
Snow...whats that?
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

how do you get 115 at only 2500 rpm?? we're talking MPH right? :?:
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
greensubie
In Neutral

Post by greensubie »

i dont know really i had a mechanic friend that i told and he didnt belive me so i took him for a drive and sure enough 115 @2500 every time i think i went through a whole tank of gas in like 3 hours
So...hows your cokebottle today?
Snow...whats that?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

115KPH = 69MPH = 27.6MPH/1K RPM - speed in top gear in my car (3.70).

Steve
NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

Supposedly, all Japanese Domestic cars are limited to 180 km/hr. I can attest to this as my Celica would get up to 112 extremely fast, and never get any faster. It has a Japanese spec engine which is why it is limited. It would get up to 120 without a problem when it wasn't turbocharged. I also can tell you from experience that my 93 Legacy goes over 120 pretty easily (and surprisingly fast for AWD :shock:) .
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I hit 130 and climbing (way slow though) in my old gfs 1990(or 91) FWD Legacy in 1991. Traffic comes up way fast. I was on I-84 in Northern Oregon.

My "new" 1991 wagon with 200000 plus ( missing the speedo cable so long before I bought it I would not doubt 250k) would hit 100 on three cyclinders (burnt valve on one head). Since I rebuilt the heads I have hit 120 mph but the block has never been serviced so I was blowing alot of smoke past the rings!!!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

I hit almost 130 on a backcountry highway down in Klamath Falls. The second time I tried it was really windy and I was getting a ton of drag. I havent tried it since, and I've done some good mods since then. I [i]might[/i] try it again.

But your right evolution, 5th takes a ton of power to move to higher rpms. I can hardly believe sometimes how long of a gear that is.

Now, since I'm living up in Portland again I'm not sure where I could top my car out again...there are too many ppl around here. I might try I-84 much farther east, but cops frequent that freeway...I dunno.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy