straaange timing

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gustavohuber
First Gear

straaange timing

Post by gustavohuber »

Hi everyone, so I just redid the timing and everything went perfectly, counted teeth between the marks, then used the marks on the alignment marks on the cogs, aligned everything with the marks on the block and covers.. buuut.. if I take a breaker bar and put the crank through a full rotation such that the marks come back up.. they're all off from the marks on the cogs, and what's stranger, they're all off by the same amount.. after the first cycle it was off by eleven teeth, after a few more cycles, it was all off by nine, and now its all off by one tooth.. but clearly this won't fly, right? Also its disturbingly irregular feeling when I try to crank the engine over manually.. it is super springy and stiff for 15 degrees then totally slack for five, then kinda mushy for twenty.. it seems totally haphazard.. HELP!
ex-devastated ex-owner of the $5500 parts car!
gustavohuber
First Gear

Post by gustavohuber »

sorry, thought about it some more, and realized that I'm an idiot.. the marks on the cogs lign up with the marks on the block every other rotation, and that seems right to me. The irregular feel is still bothersome, but go figure.
ex-devastated ex-owner of the $5500 parts car!
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

:). That irregular feel is the valves closing and you pushing the pistons through the compression cycles, it's perfectly normal.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.