Swaps

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Swaps

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

I know searching is the accepted thing around here, but I found nothing like this.
Will 17" wheels with a 40mm offset fit on a 92 SS?
92 SS--up and running finally!!
(edited for Jason Grahns pleasure)
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You might be able to get the rim on there, but I doubt a tire. 17 is a little big for the BC's I think. Feel free to correct me on this.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

I believe several members are running 17's.
It is only a 205/40/17, its mostly the offset I am concerned about.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah, plenty of 17" rims around. Seems like the offset is a little low to me.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335263

a 7" wheel should have around 50-53mm, for 7.5, 47-50, although these numbers are for a WRX, where there's a little more room between the strut and fender.

Given how close my 205/55-16s are to the inside of the fender in the rear, I don't think I could fit a 205/50 with 13mm less offset, even if I rolled the fenders. Although once I install my camber bolts and get an alignment there will be a little bit more room.

I personally would not use them.
kenken
In Neutral

Post by kenken »

i'm running 05 gt wheels with no problems

215/45/17

but i'm not sure about you running a 40mm offset
92 L sedan
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Wow, I don't know how I would get 17's on my car. My stock 14 tires run so close to the struts I don't think I'd be able to get something bigger than 16 on there.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
kenken
In Neutral

Post by kenken »

yeah, if you go to the topic 05gt wheels and scroll down there is a pic of my car with the gt wheels on it.
92 L sedan
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Manarius wrote:Wow, I don't know how I would get 17's on my car. My stock 14 tires run so close to the struts I don't think I'd be able to get something bigger than 16 on there.
you would have to convert to 92-94 struts and springs.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I don't rub with 225/45/17's on a 17x7.5" ET48 rim.

Well, I rub, but only on the fender and only at full compression.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

BAC5.2 wrote:I don't rub with 225/45/17's on a 17x7.5" ET48 rim.

Well, I rub, but only on the fender and only at full compression.
I rub, but only with some wet wipes and movie.

I'm getting very sleeeepyy.. Quick, someone get me warm blanket and a chicken burrito!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Is there possibly a wheel spacer, or anything else I could run to make the 40mm offset fit?
I bought these wheels for my celica, but now that I'm fixing my legacy I thought they would look awesome on there.
Motegi MR7 in gunmetal :twisted:
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Wheel spacers are bad for wheel bearings.

Best advice: Sell the wheels to another celica member, and get some wheels of the appropriate width and offset for the Subaru.

Of course, that would end up costing you money.

It's all how you want to play it. I'd do it that way, and know I'm doing it right. But you could also use wheel spacers, and pay for wheel bearings in the future.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

wouldnt running spacers to get the offset to subaru spec be the same as running subby wheels? I thought the problem was not in the spacers themselves, but in running the wrong offset.

Although i believe spacers reduce offset...
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, spacers reduce positive offset. Subaru wheels have large positive offset.

So putting a spacer on a +40mm offset wheel, you'd get further away from where you want to go.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

No, remember, offset is measured from the edge of the rim to the face where the hub meets the rim.

A wide (7.5") rim with a 48mm offset, will measure 48mm from the hub mating surface to the edge of the wheel.

A narrower (6.5") rim with a 48mm offset will still measure it's offset the same way, but will have the bulk of the rim tucked OVER the hub.

See what I mean?

So you space out a wheel (which is actually reducing offset, relocating the hub mating surface closer to the other measurement), you are moving the whole rim outward, and when you do that, you move the center line of the rim outward.

There ARE appropriate offset widths for specific wheel widths, and varying from this, moves the centerline of the wheel outwards (or inwards) and increases the mechanical advantage (leverage) on the hub body, which CAN stress the wheel bearings.

If you want PROPER fitment, run a wheel that was originally designed for the setup you are running. Otherwise, you'll just have to run "as best the aftermarket can provide", which in your case, is likely far to little offset.

.... I think.

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I was also under the impression that a spacer would move the wheel the wrong way. Positive offset moves the mating surface outwards, so you can't increase it with spacers.
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

dammit. I wish i wouldn't have bought these wheels when there was no hope of fixing my subie.
What problems would I run in to with too little positive offset?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Rubbing.

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yep. My WRX 205/55-16 tires actually rub a bit in the rear, but that's just because of the slight positive camber I still haven't fixed. With stock suspension I didn't rub, and if I rolled the fenders, I could fit a lot more tire between the strut and fender.