EJ 22t heads

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I dont expect anything. If i get some that would be nice. Cobb has data that says they flow like crap. and the guys at rallitek say there is no way they can make power. I showed them the impreza like mine in the members rides on legacy central (brian or ben orwhoever says they are making 600hp) they said there was no way it was possible even with massive port and polish.

I dont know who to believe any more. :?
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

If you're going after 300+ then yeah, go ahead and start looking around for some DOHC's. Otherwise, as I understand it, the 22T heads are fine, just get a good port and polish. I'm just an NA guy so my .02 has been slowly collected from around here so I don't claim to be an expert but I really don't feel that our heads are lacking as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i think the factory heads are good also, we are going to try putting cams in, thats my next step.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

The single most important part of the process is the valve job and the areas around the valve seat. Yes, you can mess things up by going to aggressively at either the intake or exhaust ports. Keep it light there. It isn't where you are going to make the gains. If you aren't doing a valve job yourself, pay someone to do it. 60% or more of the gains come from the valve job...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

WOW 60%? Here is another thing. I am doing this in my fathers garage, becasue my house doesnt have one. I told him I was going to get the heads freshened up- checked for trueness a a valve job. He said that with 130,000 miles on the clock, the heads will be great but I will put it all back together andblow up the motor. He said its too much pressure for the stock rings and pistons to take and that I'm gonna be spending 5000 in a whole new motor. I am calling BS to all of it (especially to the last part unless I buy a crawford :D ). Do you think I will increase my chances of screwing up the motor if I get a head job?

Nico, are you gonna do delta's? Mine will be back from them on monday. :twisted: Thats why I cant wait to put this thing together.

I'm also sticking in some STI bushings for my controlarms, Sti Gymkhana springs, new ball joints, Sti strut tops. I am stoked.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

60% was kind of an arbitrary number, and it will very from head to head, but my point was more than half the gains from from the valve job. Think about it. That is the single greatest point of turbulence. It is well worth your money to pay a professional to do the valve job unless you have someone who knows what they are doing there to teach you. It is not rocket science, but it is an art.

And your dad doesn't know what he's talking about. Plenty of these blocks have seen well over 20psi and 400+hp thrown at them without ring and piston failure. This is not your dad's old ford. Japanese engines are so far superior from the factory than anything that came from the big three in the last 30 years. People with a domestic background are used to replacing almost everything when blueprinting and building an engine. Most Japanese engines border on blueprinted from the factory, and the EJ22T is so overbuilt it is ridiculous *off rant* Nothing personal against your dad, it is just his comments lead me to beleive he knows very little about import tuning...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

No offense at all. He's a chevy guy. I needed another hand when taking off the heads while the motor is in the car. He kept saying if this was an american car...... and ranting. I kept telling how much more reliable this motor would and on only four cyylinders, it could have as much power as his truck.

I have been wondering, does head work change the sound of a vehical. I wanna know why the wrc cars sound the way they do? Its gotta be more than just exhaust.

NO offense taken matt. I mock my dad even more :D

so monday, I am taking the heads in that settles it.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Heck, remember even the NA block is plenty strong if you pull timing. Even though I broke two sets of pistons, and ran the motor for 20 minutes with no water the last time, it still ran great, except for that pesky warped head. The only reason I am not sticking it back in that I basically got a closed deck with pistons for free. (of course this had led to nightmares unrelated to the quality of the components).

If I don't get the closed deck block back soon, I am just going to stick another rebuilt NA block back in I have sitting around and finally get the PP to pull timing. The NA block is fine and dandy for modorate boost (up to 10-12?) I suspect, it is just that the pistons are very fragile against detonation so you seriously need engine management if you run boost on the high compression. But if you do run boost on the NA block and stock compression pistons, then 12 psi should net you almost 200 whp. (7 psi got me 160ish whp on a mustang dyno)
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

douglas vincent just wait for he good block you will have more fun.

bmxpunk your dad sounds like my dad, but its italian cars he compares the japanes ones with. they copy this, they copy that, its only good for this long, he doesn't talk like that no more after i got a subaru (ej22t). he is like a sales man now, and he tells me go bye more of the ej22t motors up, so he can stick them in his subarus.

about the sound i dont no if it makes more sound, but my car pops flames and sounds like a rally car.

today its all done my car i am going to take a video so you guys can hear and see what i built
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

YES NICO!!!!!!!! congrats. cant wait to see the video!!!
Rally cars have a cool sound to them and I cant describe it. but I love it!!!!!

See mine sounds smooth and low. Id like to think its isthe best sounding subaru in town (there aren't many that are modded and the one that is... :roll: straight piped untuned version 8 sounds like crap)
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ATTACK OF THE DREMMEL AGAIN!!!!! :twisted:

Well not too much really. I was depressed to see solberg out of the rally so i went ahead and polished my throttle body. I knifed the opening to it just a little. THen I came in wit ha few sheets of sand paper and ended with the little white polishers and some rubbing compound. You can now see yourself in the brass throttle plate and can almost see your reflection inside the throttle body.

I get some of the dumbest ideas. tomarrow, who knows? no really I have to stop the madness and go to bed. its 2 in the morning.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

hahaha you knifed the throttle plate, bmxpunk get some sleep. no more mad ness but you my be on to something with all the little tricks here and there.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I thought about knifing the throttle plate, but I know i am too tired to do that. I just knifed the very front part where it comes in from the intercooler. Its now 242am and I am going homw or home either one. hahahah
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

WRC cars sound the way they do from the equal length headers. There is an RS in town that sounds the same, except he doesn't have the popping of the antilag.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

they didnt name it 22b after 555
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

tzedek wrote:they didnt name it 22b after 555
check this out:

http://22b.com/22bstory.htm
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

got any other proof?
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

I dont ask the other more knowledgable ones of the board. That site was started by actual 22B owners. So unless you have proof otherwise that you would like to present, i would love to see it, i love that car. Thats why I am building a "replica"
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i got proof it siad every car was hand made, belive me, there is bin a lot of hand makeing on my impreza. every bolt has bin upgrade or taken out for light ness and it took me a very long time.
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

bmxpunk wrote:I dont ask the other more knowledgable ones of the board. That site was started by actual 22B owners. So unless you have proof otherwise that you would like to present, i would love to see it, i love that car. Thats why I am building a "replica"
that article is just one guy's opinion, I find it hard to believe that the 22b name is a coincidence that the car has a 2.2 liter boxer engine and it derives it name from some obsecure hexadecimal translation of a sponsors name.
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

http://www.scoobyphotos.com/impreza_history.php

Special Edition - Worldwide - 22B - 1998

1998 saw the release of what many consider to be the ultimate Impreza - the 22B. Named after it 2.2ltr Boxer engine, 22B also translates to 555 in hex, Subaru's main sponsor in it rally program. Lucky coincidence? The 22B has wider arches front and rear, along with a restyled front and rear bumpers to fit, and an adjustable rear wing. Mechanically, apart from the bigger displacement engine, it depends on whether you are looking at a 'type UK' model or an import, as there are differences in spec. The UK model (of which only 16 were produced) has revised gearing better suited to UK roads. In total only 400 22B's were produced, to celebrate Subaru's 40th anniversary.
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

actually 426 were made. 400 for japan, 26 more badged 22b Type UK.

subaru of america supposedly has the #13 that isn't badged for superstitious reasons(unlucky 13)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

SOA's 22b is badged. Trust me, I've seen it in person. ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

lucky!!! man this thread has done a 100% about face.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

There is a 22B in Colorado Springs, I saw it just before the pikes peak hill climb.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out