Ej20T heads on Ej22T Part 2

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I looked around online for pricing of bore and sleeve on big V8 and it looks like 4 cylinders done at once would probably cost around 400$

Since my engine will also need a visit to the machine shop I think I will try this route as well. Ill probably go for 99.6 or 100 sized since they are common.

Now we should research the difference between the types of sleeves available.

Matt Monson: In many ways it seems that we are parraleling each other. Where is your engine now? Mine is still attached to an engine stand with all the attached items in the trunk of a "stripped" turbo sedan. It looks so strange, with the transmission and engine removed and all the junk in the trunk the front end is REALLY high.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

:Off Topic: My engine is in the car as my daily driver...I am waiting on the next phase of my RS build( I was told yesterday that Trey had started work on my stage II NA heads) to be able to "disable" the Legacy for a bit. Basically the STi parts for the Legacy were a random score that are going to sit for the next 3-4months (see electrical forum for new ideas on my engine management) They just happened to be exactly what I wanted.

I was gonna do the build in stages with some parts and pieces, but with a complete intake tract, and all STi piping why fabricate a TMIC set up when I can do it stock if I am patient? This STi buy was such a total score. The only thing I need for my build still is the heads, and to send off the shortblock to TWE.

I am going to do all labor and assembly myself (first time in 4 the years since my Honda engine swap that I have done anything truly mechanical and not just bolt ons) and will have no particular timeframe. I will start to tear it apart in March when me and my girl move and get a house with a garage. Then it will go pretty quickly from there...:End Off Topic: :wink:
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

then, good luck guys, and please, continue posting about your discoveries concerning the sleeving of the engine.

For my personnal point, i'll stop with a set of 96.9mm forged pistons, and maybe some forged rods if i can find a good deal on some. :)
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

[quote="morgie"]Gasket bonanza ! hehe

1 - Ej22T and Ej22Na shares the same gasket

2 - Ej22T and Ej25 SOHC shares the same "overall disposition" of the bolt holes, but the holes dont match. Also, the intake port holes are bigger on the 2.5l (the same size as on the DOHC ones). The 2.5l gasket is wider than the ej22T

3 - EJ25 DOHC gasket looks almost the same as the EJ20T one of my friend. Would say i'm sure at 99% it's the same gasket.

4 - EJ25 DOHC and WRX Ej20T Gaskets are .. ALMOST the same. Bolts and intake holes are at the same place, the same size. But the tinny linup-holes are not at the same place.
quote]

Ok,
To rewind to page 1. I have a question. I want to know specifically what year is the EJ20 you are measuring from? The bolt pattern has changed over the years. You are using that '94 that was sold to your freind as a V1, right?

I have a v6 manifold sitting on my floor (2000) it has the offset bolt pattern. I am going to pick up a SOHC EJ25 gasket this week and see how it lines up with my manifold. I have this gut feeling after taking a good look at my 2000RS and my STI manifold, that I will be able to use the SOHC EJ25 heads on my build. If not I will just use USDM heads since it is known to be the same core as a v6 STi head (just different cams and port sizes on it)...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

My friend heads are 96 STI V2 heads (i talked to the guy who sold the engine, and told that he received the engine as a front cut of an STI impreza, it has everything STI like computer, brakes, suspension.. etc.... so apparently, 96 STI V2 are Open Deck, 96 STI RA are Close deck)

The gaskets of my friend was exactly the same in shape as the ones of the DOHC 2.5l heads. (but, cant be 100% sure for the bolt placements, since i didn't had the sti gaskets). Also, the bolt and holes of the Dohc 2.5l gaskets were exactly the same as the EJ20T ones. (only the external shape of the gasket didn't match).

The EJ25 SOHC gasket was not matching the EJ25 DOHC or the EJ20T bolt pattern (bolt ofset), and was not like my EJ22T gasket eather.

So, judging by the gasket correspondance, your STI V6 intake might not fit on EJ25 SOHC heads. The Gasket test you will do will be the best way to be sure of that. Keep us updated ! :)
morgie
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

http://www.AriasPistons.com

They can build EJ22T pistons.
145$ / cylinder, 4 weeks fabrication delay

It includes Pistons, rings, piston pit and locks.

Total : 580$USD or 760$CAD
morgie
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

STi Ver2 is definately closed deck
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Ok,
I have compared a SOHC EJ25 gasket to my MY00 STi v6 intake manifold. It has the same issue that morgie found with the slightly offset hole. It can't be more than a couple millimeters, but that won't matter if you are trying to bolt the heads to the manifold, now will it? I will confirm that the bolts do not line up when I get my RS heads back from Cobb. Assuming that is the case, the means I will probably be going the EJ20 route and look to pick up some USDM heads or a used JDM STi head for cheap...But the EJ25 DOHC may still be an option.I'll keep you all updated...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

My fear is that, as on the Ej22T VS EJ20T heads, the ... Intake Manifold 'Span' is shorter (the distance between the "legs" of the intake manifold") on the ej22T than on the Ej20T , as shown on the pictures... about 1" shorter.. :(
morgie
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

I think we were maybe wrong...

Post by Matt Monson »

Read this thread and see my pic at the bottom...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ost5434405
It does appear that the SOHC EJ25 heads could be used with any EJ20 manifold on our EJ22 blocks. This is good news for me as I wanted to have the SOHC heads anyways and now can go this route with them on my EJ22 build. And I found some heads in a wrecking yard today for $250... :D I don't know if this matters to anyone else, but I thought I would just get the info out there...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Not to jump in on your nice thread...but does anyone know if phase I DOHC EJ25 valve cover gaskets are the same as EJ20G ones? and the spark plug hole seals, etc? I figure its a long shot...
Thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

humm, absolutely no ideas, but be carefull with that ej20g appelation... seems to be used for a lot of different engines :\
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~1amiga/ej2o.htm

As for me, i've found a set of Legacy B4 TT heads... rated 7500rpm :twisted:

and i have a set of Ej20G heads (Leg turbo JDM, with 'tappets'), probably for sell .. :)
morgie
Zate
In Neutral

Post by Zate »

ok.. so if i have a 2.2T block.. whats the best heads.. intake.. gasket to go with ?.. has anyone determined the best combination ? .. preferably something that fits easily and correctly.
I need a 91-93 Turbo Legacy in FL.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

gc835
In Neutral

Post by gc835 »

what em would you need to use with the wrx heads on a 22t?? its in a 94 ss right now