Costs for a new transmission? - 1996 Legacy Outback

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

hueen
In Neutral

Costs for a new transmission? - 1996 Legacy Outback

Post by hueen »

Hello,

tomorrow I will look at a 1996 Legacy Outback wagon. The lady selling it said a mechanic who checked the car last week told her the transmission would need to be replaced probably within a year.
When taking it for a test drive I will not have the time to have it fully checked to get an estimation on replacement costs for the transmission, so I hope you guys can help me on this.

It's a 5 speed manual transmission (2.2 L engine).
What are the average replacment costs incl labor?
What would be worst case, what most likely?

Also, given the fact that it needs to be replaced, what would you pay for the car?
138k mi.
winter package
timing belt, rotors, brakes, and clutch replaced within the last 2-3 years preventatively
all records, according to her well maintained and in very good shape.
That's all I know so far.

I appreciate your help!
Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What's wrong with the transmission? The MT's dont' really die, and end up needing to be replaced. Worse case scenario is that everything is fubared....you pick up a used MT for 1000 bucks. If something is wrong inside, a mechanic should be able to take it apart, and rebuild it. However the used may end up being cheaper.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

As for real prices, I was briefly looking for one about like that for my ex (she went another way), and I looked at a couple of excellent examples, no rust, for $2000 to $3000. By excellent I mean no rust, dents, rips, tears, or serious problems evident

Subarus with bad trannys cost more to fix because the tranny is more complex than your average car. Still, a manual to fit that car is very common in junk yards so used will be easy to find, but expect to pay $500 for one and another $500 as a fair price to install it, plus you'll certainly replace the clutch pack for another $250 while you're at it.

If there is any evidence of tranny problems I'd run away, why deal with it, there are loads of Outbacks with good maintenance available, just go find one.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Legacy777 wrote:What's wrong with the transmission? The MT's dont' really die, and end up needing to be replaced. Worse case scenario is that everything is fubared....you pick up a used MT for 1000 bucks. If something is wrong inside, a mechanic should be able to take it apart, and rebuild it. However the used may end up being cheaper.
Not worth rebuilding. It costs more to rebuild, than to buy a used tranny.

Plus, not everyone has the tools to adjust front diff lash, and angles and such. Those tools are expensive and not everyone knows how to use them. I've seen transmissions rebuilt, and I wouldn't trust your average mechanic to do it.

The good news, is that it's cake to swap the transmissions on our cars.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
hueen
In Neutral

Post by hueen »

Thanks for the info. I am not going to buy this car.
I hope this info helps other ppl as well, I've been searching for a while without success.
Thanks again guys