My new SS, and it's differences from the old one

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

My new SS, and it's differences from the old one

Post by musketeerracing »

Just made a wacky deal: bought a 1993 black/black SS and a 1995 Justy 5MT AWD for absurdly little, Canadian. Both cars were few owner, dealer maintained, and then ditched by the dealer, probably because there was something big enough wrong that the dealer advised these people to get out of the cars in a big way.

The Justy is mint except for an engine problem that I'm working on. The SS had a check engine light and a fuel leak, both of which were very easily solved. It's terrific now.

But my last two years were with my 1990 NA and 1991 Turbo and this car is different in lots of ways. I need some explanations.

First, the rear swaybar, the swaybar links, and the lower links are different on the 1993 SS than on the 1991 SS. Is that a change between Gen 1 and "1.5"? Which is better?

Second, the front marker and signal are combined on the 1993 (very JDM) and there's a yellow sticker to accomplish the dual purpose. Also there's nothing in the front bumper but a fake brake duct. Is that normal? Is it Canadian?

Third- the diff is not an LSD. My 1991 is. Did 1993 Turbos come with open rear diffs? Was LSD an option?

Fourth - this is just for your info - the car has a non-vented hood. I saw the bumper, wheels, and spoiler and presumed it was a Turbo that had been in an accident - sure enough, the rad is a replacement and the condensor is kinked, and the inside of the hood is blue. But the rad support and all the nose pices line up perfectly. Looks like a good job. But the clearing place I got it from had no idea it's a turbo. It is BTW, right down to the chimney (with nowhere to vent!) and the seventh digit "7".

Except, of course, for the diff.

(two female owners, btw. FSH at the dealer on the correct MONTH (not mileage) through 2000. Finally found my car.)

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Ok, I'm going to try to reply to this post in parts...so hang in with me.

For the swaybars: I have no idea. All I know is that '91's were the only NA's that came with sway bars. I would assume that the 93's would be better 'cause they're newer but.....

The for the front: If you didn't already know, in 1992, the Legacy's had a front and rear face lift. In the front, this combined the turning marking and parking marker into one light area. This is not JDM, but simply the way they were made post 91. As for the duct, I'd bet that's normal.

Rear dif wise: Only 91 SS's came with standard LSD's. Otherwise, I think it was optional or not available at all; I'm sure vrg3 can correct me on this.

Hood: I'd suggest you either make a vent or buy a hood with one.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Manarius wrote: All I know is that '91's were the only NA's that came with sway bars.
prefacelift cars, LS's, and LSi's have swaybars.

The 90-91's have those droplinks, and the 92+ (maybe 92's have drop links too, i dont remember) cars have the C style endlinks that most later subarus have. IMO the stock droplinks are better, but there are more options for aftermarket C style.

Your new car doesn't have an oil cooler.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
musketeerracing
First Gear

Thanks!

I know about the facelift in 1992 - I just didn't know that the signals moved into the markers. Peel off that yellow sticker and jam some fogs in the bumper and you're JDM, no?

Thanks for the info on the diff. Didn't know how lucky I was with the 1991.

Still would like to know about the swaybars, and any other differences....(edit - scott just saw your post. THanks. Interesting. swybar diameter is the same though? ANyone have a preference for lower link style?)
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Your liberal use of the term "JDM" bothers me...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
musketeerracing
First Gear

JDM

Ha! I probably use it indiscriminately.

That said, having converted my Evo from RHD and ordering countless front and rear bumper covers from Japan as they get ripped off the rally car, I feel I have some qualification!

But doesn't clear marker/signal light combos and additional signals in the fender behind the wheel say "JDM" to people?
Or is that just me?

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com