To buy or not to buy...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AllWheelsDriven
In Neutral

To buy or not to buy...

Post by AllWheelsDriven »

I have the opportunity to buy a '91 L with just 65k for about 4,800 (not bad, but hope to talk 'em down).
Here's my hang up. I really wanted a turbo, but since those are pretty scarce 'round here in the Northwest AND since this car only has 65k I need ya'lls advice.

Is it realistic to think that I can turbocharge the stock 2.2?

Can I install a turbo engine (where would I find one)?

Or, Is there a place where I can find a Legacy SS for sale in the Northwest?

Anything will help. Thanks!
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

dude the northwest has a bunch of turbo legacys i think like half the boad is from there... i would wait for turbo leg cause you could get one in good condition for that much. just keep you eyes out for one. It WILL be worth the wait.

and if you dont wanna wait... 4800 for a 91 NA seems a little ridiculous
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

You could probably find EJ22t for less than 3,000 actually. Might have some rust tho.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Me personally, I'd do it. I want a turbo too, but I'm not giving up my NA to get one...

65k? I'd pay over $4800 for that. That's basically a new car...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

No way. That is an absurd price. Low miles is great, but miles are only half the story. The other half of the story is that parts also fail just because they are old. Every part on that car is 15 years old... more than halfway to getting historic plates.

You should be able to get Legacy turbo in good condition with not many more miles for half that price. Hell, mine meets that description and I got it for a quarter of that price.

Turboing an NA Legacy is not an easy way out. It will be a lot harder and more expensive than you think... everything is.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
AllWheelsDriven
In Neutral

Post by AllWheelsDriven »

First off, thanks everyone for the replies.

So heres the deal, I'm in the market for an all wheel drive car and I'm leaning towards a Subaru over say, a Grand Cherokee because of reliability and gas mileage.

So for about 1-5k what do ya'll think i can get into for that? Like i said i havent seen any legacy turbo's. I dont mind wagons (i used to own a loyale), power would be nice, but not necessary (just dont want a slug). Also, every Subaru with the exception of a few, have about 120K. This is not a problem with me, i'm used to workin on/maintaining cars.

So i guess my question is, what do you guys recommend?
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Trailblazer has a 91 NA with 93 motor for less than that!! it does have over 200k on car but like 80k on motor if I remember...
I think his thread is in the parts shed a week ago?...
He lives in WA
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

if you are concerned with gas mileage, don't get a turbo

for closer to the 5k price point you could probably get a '96-97 legacy or outback which has far superior comfort and ride to the 90-94 legacy, and a better interior to be sure

I personally like the style of the 90-94 but they rust pretty good once they get going, and they are getting old. I would however avoid the 2.5l engine which came along later, although that would probably be over your 5k limit anyway

all of the non-turbo legacies you will get about 22-23mpg everyday mix driving and 28 or so highway, not much more, not exactly frugal on gas
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door