No crank on 91 SS with 165k miles.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drive
In Neutral

No crank on 91 SS with 165k miles.

Post by drive »

91 Legacy SS. 165k miles. Since the weather has been getting colder I’ve had some trouble starting. Yesterday I went to start it and there was no turn over at all. All the lights displayed. I tried a few times but nothing. About 10min later I went back and it started right up without a problem.

This morning the same thing. Would not turn at all tried again in 10min but nothing. It was a lot colder today though.

Last winter I was having the same problem and I thought it was the fuel pump plugs under the rear seat. The plastic was melted and I cut the connector off and spliced them together. I inspected that this morning and it seems to be ok.

Any idea what would cause it to not crank at all? Starter? Fuel pump?
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

Does your starter coil click when you turn the key to on?
drive
In Neutral

Post by drive »

i can check this afternoon. do you know the general location?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

its probably your starter solenoid. search for the rebuild topic using new contacts, or get a rebuilt one with warranty.

it seems to hapen to just about all of us at about that mileage, and it gets worse with cold.

pretty soon you may weld the contacts for a moment - that is fun, the starter keeps turning AFTER the engine starts (setting off the CEL ). actually the starter works better for a while after that happens, it seems to clean the contacts off through metal transfer

but the no-start will return
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
drive
In Neutral

Post by drive »

thanks. are the parts the same for turbo and NA? what's the general location of the starter?
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

From underneath:
on the driverside over the drive axle shaft inside CV, where the transmission meets the engine. Silver cylinder about 5 in in diameter...
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

From the top, it's in the back near the firewall on the driver's side. Follow the negative cable from the battery and you'll find it. Helps to do it on the lift..easier to get at that way.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm