91 Legacy cranks but no spark!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Patrick Reynolds
In Neutral

Post by Patrick Reynolds »

91 Legacy turns over but no spark to plugs! Checked the coil per Haynes manual checked out OK,getting power to the coil. Does this mean the ignitor is good if I get power to the coil with the key turned on? If it's not the ignitor what else could it be? Bought this car for $200 because the previous owner got stuck on the side of the road when it quit and wouldn't start. I got lucky because it's a low -mile beauty! Any help would be appreciated,thanks!
Patrick Reynolds
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

It may just be your coil pack...they're cheap to replace...
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Have you checked your timing belt? I chased a no spark situation to finally find that my t-belt was delaminating and randomly slipping, if the cam sensors don't say spark it won't :).

Also, do a search for the ECU pinouts and you could check continuity from the ignitor to the ECU but if it just randomly quit my bet is on the timing belt going.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Patrick Reynolds
In Neutral

OK, I will definitely check my timing belt after reading skid542's threads and learning about his experience, skid542 hopefully yours is still up and running. Can't wait to get my 91 2.2 non-turbo Legacy road worthy,thanks for the suggestions y-all today I will get to some wrenching and figure this one out.
Patrick Reynolds
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Yeah let us know what you find out.

And yes, my baby is still up and running :). It's a great feeling which you'll soon be enjoying as well.

And welcome to the BBS.
Lee

sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

sounds like a bad Cam or crank sensor. They are both the same part (in a different spot). Check if you get injector pulse. If you don't, then don't even look at ignition stuff, it's not your problem. go back up the line, you'll see that your options for failure are the ECU itself or the cam or crank sensor. Check for codes, you'll probably get one about one of the two. Cam sensor is easy to replace.

The other option is that you have a broken timing belt, but that would be imediatly obvious by the fast cranking do to reduced/no compression.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Patrick Reynolds
In Neutral

Thanks again for the excellent advice!Skid, the engine cranks normally so this is a sure sign that the timing belt is intact but still needs inspection for slipping. Sammy,I am not sure how to check pulses but I do have a Haynes manual with great pics on where the crank sensor,cam sensor,coil,ignitor and all the other potential culprits are lurking under the hood.
Today would have been an ideal day to have off from work to get my ride back up and running again! Unfortunately it will have to wait untill 2:30PM
Much obliged,
P.R.
Patrick Reynolds
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

An easy way to see if your injectors are pulsing is to have someone crank it while you stick a really long handled screw driver down ontop of the injectors and stick the handle in your ear (do this after the first crank and engine wobble :)). You should easily be able to hear if the injectors are doing their thing.

The next step as Sam mentioned is to check any engine codes (this should probably be step one actually). There is a little black connector that you have to connect and then your check engine light will blink in a paricular sequence. A quick search and your manual should clear up any questions on this, if not just ask.

If it does turn out to be your sensors and can't find any locally that aren't expensive as hell, let me know. I've got a whole longblock with all working sensors (and an extra ignitor and coilpack) sitting in my basement...
Lee

Patrick Reynolds
In Neutral

Great advice Skid,thanks again! I will try the codes and then have someone help me out checking the injectors. Can hardly wait to get started,I have a feeling we will get it running again today!

If needed I will definitely take you up on your parts offer, I appreciate that!

P.R.
Patrick Reynolds
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

just pull off one of the timing belt covers and have a look-see

the last few folks who had this type of no-start on this board found bad timing belts

I'm not sure its so easy to say that you can tell that the timing belt is OK by how it cranks - if you have onwed the car for a while maybe, but if its new to you, you don't know what "normal" is yet

remember you'll get cam sensor codes if the belt is broken or stripped, since it won't see the cam turning
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
Patrick Reynolds
In Neutral

OK, heading home from work now I'll give the timing belt a look for starters....hopefully solve the problem with little effort!
thanks again Skid

P.R.
Patrick Reynolds