Attn. SS owners, coolant leak

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Attn. SS owners, coolant leak

Post by kleinkid »

On my 91 SS I have a small collant leak, and am not sure what the component (hose/line) is where the coolant appears to be leaking from. I say appears, because the coolant may not be coming from the line I am going to describe to you. It may be coming from the bottom of the belt cover which may indicate coolant leaking from the weep hole on the water pump, maybe,huh? Looking at the water pump details in my Haynes manual it does not show this hose connection, so am wondering if it is an oil line. None of the other lines coming off the thermostat housing show leakage. OK here is where the line that has coolant on it is: on the right side a 90 deg. hose comes out of the front of, and an inch above the oil filter, connects to a metal line(which has the metal clamp attatched to it) and runs left above the front joint pipe(crosspipe?), to a 90 deg hose(3" long) that connects to the right side of the housing where the thermostat is. This is where the coolant appears. If this is an oil line, I suspect a coolant leak from belt cover above it. What do you think?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think you're looking at the oil cooler's coolant lines.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

OK. I didn't realize this engine had an oil cooler. I just assumed an oil cooler was like a small radiator type device, external to the engine. This could be good news, not the water pump. This hose is a preformed 90 degree about 3" long. It wasn't leaking tonight when engine was cold and I was squeezing and poking it. Maybe a pinhole that leaks when hot and under some pressure. Thanks, maybe others will add some more to say.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, you might more precisely call yours an "oil/water heat exchanger." Here's a diagram:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... cooler.gif

The 90-degree hose you're talking about is the one connecting the hard pipe to the water pump, yes? That's part number 807611031. A dealer should be able to get it for you for somewhere between $7 and $12. They may even have it in stock, because WRXes use the same hose.

If I remember correctly, you can also use a heater bypass hose for a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera V6, which should be cheaper and/or easier to find.

But it does seem quite possible that the leak is in the water pump and that it's just dripping down to that hose.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I think I will get that hose and see if that takes care of the problem. I need that bolt that bolts the hard line in its hanger also. Do you have that part number? That bolt location is hard to get to to trial and error to find the right size. Thanks.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The part number for the OEM bolt is 01040610A, but it's just an M6x1.0 flange head bolt with a 10mm head, of the same type that's all over the car.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I should have asked what size that bolt is instead of the part no. I can get a bolt at Lowes. While I was under the front of the car I noticed that the fasteners that attatch the underside of the bumper to a plastic deflector or whatever it is are missing. They run the length of the bumper. There is probably about six of these places that have empty holes but have some attatchment device there, but they look like they are broken. Is there a type of bolt that is used there or push pin type fastener? I am going to order the hose because I need a couple of other things also. I have a new upper radiator hose to put in so will do that when I replace the little 90 deg. hose. If that fixes the leak I will be very happy. If not, it might be the water pump. Over the last four weeks, about when I started smelling a slight whiff of coolant, I started hearing a very slight whirring sound. Could be the water pump starting to go. No overheating noticed though.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

water pump weep hole

Post by kleinkid »

I replaced the little 90 degree hose that goes from near the water pump to the oil cooler. This would have been an easy fix for the coolant that was on that hose. That did not fix it. I can now see that the coolant is dripping down onto that hose from above it. Can't see specifically where it is starting from. I did a search to find out more about that weep hole on the pump. A year ago someone from Austrailia posted pictures, but they are not there now. Does anyone have a picture of this area? There is no noise from the water pump, but that does not mean the seal isn't going bad. Don't want to use any stop leak. If I do the water pump replacement I will want to do the usual other parts in the front at the same time.
Last edited by kleinkid on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If there is a constant drip, its more than likely the weep hole on the water pump. I had mine do that not too long ago and i was puzzled by where it was coming from for a short while. I had a spare pump sitting around tho, so i threw it on and it fixed the problem.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

It leaks when the engine is running, two drops a minute. I feel confident it is the water pump. Have re searched(searched again), and have come up with a shopping list to submit to that genuinely helpful Subaru parts person accross the Sound from here, to replace the water pump and all the usual suspects under those covers.