noob needs some help with coilovers

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91sleeper
In Neutral

noob needs some help with coilovers

Post by 91sleeper »

i just recently upgraded from an 04 wrx to a 91 ss and need a little advice. i need a good auto-x setup, namely coilovers. so i can up the rim size and fit the 4pots i have for the car. i have been reading for days and keep hearing that anything from the gc8 to the 04 sti suspension will work. my question is which is the best one to use with the least amount of modification? thanx for any and all help.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

gc8 i believe will be your best bet. check out the sticky in the suspension thread
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

indeed. especially if you're autoxing. I have the 04 STi stuff, and if I were to do it over again I would get something specifically for a BC or GC to avoid the rear fitment and camber issues.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: noob needs some help with coilovers

Post by 555BCTurbo »

91sleeper wrote:i just recently upgraded from an 04 wrx to a 91 ss...
I like your use of the word "upgrading" from a WRX...I feel the exact same way! :-D

Welcome to the board!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
91sleeper
In Neutral

Post by 91sleeper »

thanx for all the tips. i will probably be getting some h&r's for the GC. i had them on my 04 and they were great for the price. on the upgrading, i got tired of the lack of low end torque and seeing one every 2 miles. i wanted something different, and if i'm gonna spend 10k on a car, might as well be the best. thanx for the welcome and wish i could meet you guys in person (if your ever in hawaii look me up). L8R
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I had tein ha's on my wagon until a month ago.
they were blown to shit but it still made autox 10000x funnererer. Cant wait till i get them rebuilt! Thye are a GC8 model.

Whatever you get will need ultra-custom brake hose attachments. or zipties. :)
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm betting on the H&R's. I have the GC set, all the polyurathane I could find, group n tops, Whiteline adj rear bar, anti-lift kit, and the Racing Brake setup with ss lines on the way. All from Teauge's.

It's going in when I get home from finals on the 23rd. I need to make a trip to the yard to get the rear lateral links that have the mounts for the endlinks, and I need to make my endlinks before I go back.

The fun will be in breaking my knuckles on bolts that haven't moved since '93 :smt087
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

93forestpearl wrote:The fun will be in breaking my knuckles on bolts that haven't moved since '93 :smt087
I think the hardware is of very good quality on these cars. I have not had much difficulty breaking loose the bolts on my 91. Get a can PB Blaster and a long breaker bar. Clean up the nuts and bolts with a wire wheel before reassembly and you should be in good shape.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'd just replace the hardwear if you can. The big things, like the strut mount bolts are cheap from the dealership and you'll probably want to use camber bolts anyway. Just make it that much easier to reassemble and align.

It's likely that H&R's will go on my Legacy at some point. I do like KW though. A customer has them on his STi, and driving that car is a TRIP. Best car ever, for sure. He blew the left rear, but we can't help but think it was a fluke.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I spent 3 hours at the junk yard today, wrestling with a '95 wagon in 12" of snow. The lateral link('93 L's don't have a rear sway bar) on one side came off like butter. The other side twisted off a 1/2" extension, broke a 3/8" wrachet, and ended up being taken off by a cutting torch. And of course taking out the wiper switch assembly dealie=) with only a stubby phillips was the icing on the cake.

I finally got my hands on the endlink I need and its gonna be much more work to machine to use the stock shaped bushings. They might have to wait until Jan. I haven't had a rear swaybar for the four years I've owned this rig and I can't imagine it would be much worse.

I really really want to do a bunch of seam welding when she's down, but I know its a lot of work. The the very least I'll reinforce where the front frame member comes out of the shell, around the doors, and around the windsheild and back glass frames. The GD's definately feel much much more rigid than my abused 12 y/old chassis.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m